Huge Fluctuations in pricing this week

This is a two part question. While we have sailed on HAL, We are not experts!

DH and I narrowed down our options and chose an itinerary - 24 day Mediterranean- May 2020. I looked at the different price options within the Verandah category. Sent an email to TA with a couple questions on 3 different cabins. 

Today they called HAL to book the stern cabin that was available. The price is $1,000+ higher today than It was Tuesday!  I know prices fluctuate, but I have not seen this level before. The same number of aft cabins were still available as on Tuesday. I guess my big lesson here is to book myself then call TA in the future, but is this common with HAL?  

My next question is regarding stern cabins. We have never sailed in one. I know that the balcony and cabin can be larger and therefore earn a higher price - size is really attractive. I understand that the view is worth the difference as well? This cabin is 5193 on NA - and I cannot find any reviews of it or neighboring on the search (could be operator error). Anyone who could provide me some input on these cabins/location would be appreciated. Even just stern cabins overall. Is there much vibration?  What about exhaust?  Movement (I pack my ginger, etc). 

It is on hold, but darn. 

Thank you. 

It was the same early booking discount that was offered on Tuesday Bruce. SBP, Pinnacle, 2 for 1 deposit. Nothing at all changed. Except price. 

I used the same link from the email I received and sure enough, $510/pp increase. 

Edited by Vineyard View

Well, you can book it with a refundable fare and refare if/when it goes down, potentially losing the perks you will have. Or you could just wait a few days and keep track of the prices and jump if/when it goes down again. Current promo ends on the 15th. 

That is what we are going to do. It’s on hold till the 14th then we have to make the deposit. It’s certainly a lesson learned. Thank you. 

How about thoughts on Stern cabin?  Thinking I should ask this in a separate thread?

Sometimes a promotion will end and it will take a few days before another one kicks in.

I have seen huge fluctuations online, even in the same browsing session, for the same sailing!  Literally has changed on me even using email link, logging in, etc!  I now have to call to check on pricing to be sure.  

Since you did call, you may want to ask if there was a different fare code Tuesday than the price you’re being given now, and what its/their expiration dates are.

Thank you. I might do that and explain to HAL the situation. It never hurts. 

But  it is the same promotion - if we were talking a couple hundred I would let it go - and in the end we may need to let it go anyway if we want to sail this itinerary. 

We cruised on the NA and with an upgrade from a signature suite we took a Neptune suite aft corner, port side 7137 in Alaska. We splurged on this and we’re spoiled. As far as being directly aft it was fine, no probably with fumes or excessive motion. I do take Bonine because I am prone to sea sickness and did fine. 

We recently cruised Canada/New England on the Zaandam in 6222 which was port side, four cabins from the aft. Again no problems.

So enjoy great views.

39 minutes ago, CRu1853!! said:

Thank you. We also sailed in Neptune that last two sailings on Ryndam. AMAZING! 

This time it’s verandah and I am still grateful to be able to experience it all.  Good to know it wasn’t bad from a motion standpoint. I take Bonnine along with  the ginger so sounds like we will be okay. 

Having heard how fantastic aft balconies were, we snagged one for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  Huge balcony, no soot, no vibration NO BREEZE.  We could only tolerate the heat for 30 minutes at a time.  We now do balconies on the side where you get the cooling breeze to make it useable.

6 hours ago, dadroy said:

Having heard how fantastic aft balconies were, we snagged one for a 7 day Caribbean cruise.  Huge balcony, no soot, no vibration NO BREEZE.  We could only tolerate the heat for 30 minutes at a time.  We now do balconies on the side where you get the cooling breeze to make it useable.

I agree with you -- we want that breeze as well as we like to sit out on the verandah for long periods of time.

If OP is sailing on a cooler weather cruise like Alaska or the Baltic, then the aft cabin will be fine.

Thank you all for this. We will be in the Mediterranean in mid-May. I appreciate this link - I will try again with it to see if I can find any aft cabins. 

We do like sitting on our balcony. That is a big point to us of the aft cabins because they can be 2x the size of the regular Verandah - plus a larger stateroom. We will have to think about the possibility of heat as it hadn’t occurred to me. 

On another thread I started after this,  it was specific to Aft cabins, so I don’t want to become one who has the same topic going on two threads. I sincerely appreciate this advice. Thank you