Cruise Critic Community
Hoopster95

OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

Thanks so much for all the pictures! My wife and I sail on this ship from Seattle on May 31st.....how has the weather been in Alaska?....we are prepared to dress for all occasions from warm Spring-like, to chilly Fall-like, but wondering which side we should gravitate towards. Thanks.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

No off ship excursions.  

Last year on Radiance I booked a small boat excursion at Hubbard through Royal but a week or so before sailing they cancelled it.  Turns out we didn't need it, that Captain got us very close last year, closer than Ovation this year.  I'm guessing it may be the first time for this Captain or with the ship's first visit there the Captain err'ed on the side of caution.  

Another difference with Ovation - while we did go in and turn to the side, this time they reversed the turn to expose the other side of the ship to the glacier.  Instead of a 720° degree rotation like other ships, this was more of a tail wag so the North Star at the front could remain closer to the glacier for those paid rides before we turned to depart.  Both sides got a turn facing the glacier so not a bad thing, just different.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.  The Hubbard excursion is a "go" this year and I have yet to find someone who has reported back how it went.

Enjoy your cruise, sounds like it has been a beautiful journey.

Thanks so much for all the pictures! My wife and I sail on this ship from Seattle on May 31st.....how has the weather been in Alaska?....we are prepared to dress for all occasions from warm Spring-like, to chilly Fall-like, but wondering which side we should gravitate towards. Thanks.
The wx has been all over the place but gravitated towards warmer. It's been warm enough for shorts and sandels at times. Today in Juneau I have on the following: boxers, UA thermal top and bottom, hiking pants, t shirt and Columbia fleece....and I'm burning up. I think I saw 45 on my app first thing this am with temps in the mid 50s. Jeans and a tshirt with a Columbia fleece would be more ideal.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Short time lapse in the early morning as we sail the Alaskan Inside Passage coming down from Hubbard Glacier before making the turn North towards Juneau.

Juneau's Mt Roberts Tramway ascent.  Ovation of the Seas, Island Princess and the Millennium. 

Great review Hoopster,  always look at your reviews with interest. We obviously haven't done as many as you but we have lots of similarities in the ones we have done. Serenade (together) in 2014, and Jewel Greek Isles the year after you. Now Ovation, you are on the Inaugural Alaska Sailing from your home port which is bringing back some lovely memories of our sailing on her Inaugural sailing in 2016 from Southampton (30 minutes from our home).  Keep it coming, we are watching with interest and Alaska is now added to our bucket list!   Interested what they have done with the MDR's as it was dynamic dining whilst we were onboard, do they just allocate a space in one of the four dining rooms now? 

On 5/18/2019 at 5:47 PM, Scottishmum40 said:

Wow Hubbard Glacier looks spectacular.  

Thanks everyone for all the awesome information and photos.  We cruise on 28th June and cant wait.  

Ive been on Anthem before and can’t wait to be back on a Quantum Class.  270 is my favourite place to be out of any ship I’ve ever been on. 

We are on the same cruise!! We can't wait either!! This will be my first Quantum class cruise!!

Thanks to all the cruisers posting on this thread!! I love all the pictures and videos!! Keep them coming!! 

29 minutes ago, Jennywren113 said:

Alaska is now added to our bucket list!   Interested what they have done with the MDR's as it was dynamic dining whilst we were onboard, do they just allocate a space in one of the four dining rooms now? 

Hello Dave & Jen!! Great to hear from you.

While you’re thinking of Alaska, you definitely have to consider Serenade or Radiance itineraries for you coming all the way from the UK. Ovation’s itinerary does not do Alaska justice, and you already know Ovation anyways. Keep in mind Glacier Bay is supposedly opening up to RCL soon... won’t be Ovation from Seattle I wouldn’t think.

if you ever come by Vancouver, make sure you email long ahead and I’ll plan to meet up with you 😁

Yes... re dining. The 4 restaurants are now traditional and MTD just like on other ships. You’re assigned a table and that’s it...you sit there every night. 

6 hours ago, cnfno1 said:

.how has the weather been in Alaska?

Weather has been better than hoped for. You can also research the last few years of both Radiance and Explorer review for further info. Today it’s plenty of shorts and t-shirts walking around Juneau.

NOTHING is ever 100% in Alaska. However, the last few years May has been great and June not so much... lots of cold

and rain. Be prepared either way. I had 45 degree driving rain in Juneau 5 years ago 1st week of July. There’s no guarantees.

drusierdmd and twangster...

thank you for all your input. Keep

it coming 👍

Posted (edited)

Hoopster, is that walking path in your last group of pictures at the top of the Mt Roberts Tram?

Edited by breezy_carol

48 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Alaska Travel Adventures

Mendenhall Lake Kayak Tour

What an incredible warm and postcard perfect morning! I’m up Mt Roberts now waiting to come down... helicopter & dog sled coming up 😁👌

Hoopster95,

Thanks for the review! We are onboard for June 14th so we are really enjoying your insight!

A couple questions about Mendenhall:

1. Did you book the kayak tour through royal?

2. Did you feel like the kayak tour was worth the money and time?

3. Is just the kayak tour worth it or do you need a second tour the same day?

One quick observation - the photos of Mendenhall Glacier show a significant receding of it's size along the water's edge from where we saw it just a few years ago. At this rate...there may not be much to see in another 10 years or so.

These pix below were in 2014...compare these 2 to the views in Post #383. WOW.

051314 Juneau Port M6_Mendenhall Glacier Tour.jpg

051314 Juneau Port M7_Mendenhall Glacier Tour.jpg

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Short time lapse in the early morning as we sail the Alaskan Inside Passage coming down from Hubbard Glacier before making the turn North towards Juneau.

Awesome timelapse; what was the frame rate on your camera to record it?

Coastal helicopter dog sled plus extra landing is the most amazing 2 hours of my life. 909edeb3af9c031eb17fc6f117433e27.jpg971fc7b40b50fc850d9a4883200c28b1.jpg6bebeb95d9aab262bad4be684f31fdc5.jpg78825705ac7df34f4e842e8e6258f6c0.jpg

26 minutes ago, drusierdmd said:

Coastal helicopter dog sled plus extra landing is the most amazing 2 hours of my life. 909edeb3af9c031eb17fc6f117433e27.jpg971fc7b40b50fc850d9a4883200c28b1.jpg6bebeb95d9aab262bad4be684f31fdc5.jpg78825705ac7df34f4e842e8e6258f6c0.jpg

Did you book this on your own or through the cruiseline, if booking on your own what company did you go through and price per person?

Did you book this on your own or through the cruiseline, if booking on your own what company did you go through and price per person?

I booked on my own. Tour company is called coastal helicopters. They have a big operation here and fly 10 plus helicopters. Booked via Alaska shore tours..which I believe is an aggregator of tours. Excellent communication via email before hand. I believe the trip was 600pp and only 20 or so for 24hr cancellation with full refund. Its the trip with dog sledding with the extra glacier stop. Would go again in a heart beat. d9232d8672e6b2beb6fd1062cde82889.jpg322b63d250ac2a86cf20a061af6c1ca7.jpg 

This is it if you want to book direct. 558060276c2f21defc7fe3e46be1d706.jpg

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, drusierdmd said:

Booked via Alaska shore tours..which I believe is an aggregator of tours. Excellent communication via email before hand. I believe the trip was 600pp and only 20 or so for 24hr cancellation with full refund. Its the trip with dog sledding with the extra glacier stop. Would go again in a heart beat. d9232d8672e6b2beb6fd1062cde82889.jpg322b63d250ac2a86cf20a061af6c1ca7.jpg

8 minutes ago, drusierdmd said:

This is it if you want to book direct. 558060276c2f21defc7fe3e46be1d706.jpg

Cool thanks, internet seems to be going great there. You are answering questions super fast, unlike some on your cruise that are complaining about the slow speeds.

Edited by Jimbo

Perfect 4g in most of Juneau. Sitka was poor service, some places 4g mostly 3g. ISP was 1x.

Internet on board isn't too bad as long as you understand it's 1 mbit average.. I've been able to video chat and watch YouTube at 480p. There were times the first few days where it would disconnect etc...that seems to have been resolved.

Posted via Verizon 4g sitting at the hanger eating a $35 crab leg (as in singular finger)...but very tasty and right near the ship.

3 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

drusierdmd and twangster...

thank you for all your input. Keep

it coming 👍

Hey Hoopster in case you cant get the game feed where you are the Raptors just won game 3 in double OT 118 to 112. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this review. I'm on the June 14th sailing so I am loving all of the info about the ship and ports.

Awesome review! Thank you, Hoopster, and everyone else who is taking time to contribute! I’m taking notes, both on Ovation and Alaska, so thank you for including info on your excursion providers.