Cruise Critic Community
Hoopster95

OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

That's great Alan! You managed to get in and get photos of Fish& Ships. Good job! :classic_biggrin:

What’s wrong with these pictures?

Note the plating, presentation, etc ... 

Taste? Meh.... 

Appies were escargot & crab cake.

Entree chicken Marsala with a grand total of 4 green beans, 2 cherry tomatoes and a dollop of lumpy mashed potatoes. The chicken was ... well.... warm chicken. Being Italian, I make chicken and veal Marsala much better.

Desert was warm chocolate cake... which came out lukewarm, was brittle and broke into pieces. So much for “warm”. The waiter informed the Maitre’d Who came over for feedback and thanked me... he would tell the chef. He then proceeded to lecture us for a 10 on the survey.

Best part of the meal was a 20cent scoop of pineapple sherbert.

Where was this meal?

FF77EA02-EFDA-4C6E-86A7-7A01C9406A2F.jpeg

C10849D7-2631-40DE-B3B0-408E39A296A7.jpeg

22AAF841-9467-4DED-BF3D-6C5A062E310A.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

Fast forward to tonight....

Roasted lamb with mint jelly, carved right in front of you

Crispy pork belly with apple sauce, roasted green apple pieces, grilled onions/carrots/red peppers

carved turkey with cranberry sauce.

F8856817-ABF9-419D-A8A8-7E32D8BA9BD6.jpeg

FD093669-2B8A-463A-992C-E17A335EBD0B.jpeg

38B74308-ED5D-4C11-9886-CA4B2D334E98.jpeg

D50EBC92-7E18-46A1-B2B7-09D49E761C56.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

3 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Fast forward to tonight....

Roasted lamb with mint jelly, carved right in front of you

Crispy pork belly with apple sauce, roasted green apple pieces, grilled onions/carrots/red peppers

carved turkey with cranberry sauce.

Must have just missed me.  I was outside one last time.  The fog shrouded Olympics look stunning tonight.

FWIW - the HDMI inputs are easily accessed using a Samsung remote from home.  

Watched the final GoT episode recently, once Voom "Slug and Stumble" permitted, on my cabin TV with an HDMi cable and adapter for my phone.

And desert was better yet... choice of upside down pineapple cake, mousse, cheescakes, ice cream with any topping you want (Oreos pieces, choc sauce, white choc chips etc etc etc) ... awesome! 

And what I personally keyed in on right away? The warm chocolate rice pudding. And it was very warm... add a scoop of vanilla ice cream that

melted right in, oreo pieces and white choc pieces ... YUM YUM YUM! The “Light and Sweet” section of WJ is excellent, and where I got the gooey coconut ranger cookies fresh out of the oven. Great dinner tonight, much nicer than yesterday.

Thank God I have not had hardly any MDR/MTD the last several years... it has really become even a worse issue (can it possibly get any worse?) if last night’s offering was any indication. 

I am sorry to say that Windjammer fully outperformed MTD/MDR ... as was my expectation on this sailing from my MTD experiences  the last few years. Sigh 😕

In my very humble opinion, if you want very good full service meals in great ambiance, get the Unlimited dining package and do specialty the entire cruise.

AED12D35-C255-4EFD-9D97-0DF53AE8DEFD.jpeg

F7EF6DDC-5011-4A31-B1E6-8A01B0553A94.jpeg

4BF3E3D9-09D3-4E00-815A-1403E7A27AE3.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

29 minutes ago, Coralc said:

That's great Alan! You managed to get in and get photos of Fish& Ships. Good job! :classic_biggrin:

I stuck my phone in the two 4" peek holes 😎

The finish on the table smelled fresh. They may open day 2.

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

Must have just missed me.  I was outside one last time.  The fog shrouded Olympics look stunning tonight.

Ah... you were in there too? 

Whats your opinion of the WJ?

yep, beautiful scenery tonight when the clouds/fog lifted a bit. You got one of your awesome photos to share? 

6 minutes ago, shoreline6726 said:

Hoopster.....Congrats on the Raptors going up 3-2 in the Raps vs Bucks series.

Wish it had been on ship TV. 

9 minutes ago, shoreline6726 said:

Hoopster.....Congrats on the Raptors going up 3-2 in the Raps vs Bucks series.

Holy $*#+!

Kahwi 35-7-9.

Thanks for posting this😁👍

GO RAPS!!! 🏀🏀🏀🏀

21 hours ago, twangster said:

Endicott Arm and Dawes Glacier Time Lapse.

Nine hours in 3 mins and 42 seconds, 5am arrival, 2 pm return to the Inside Passage.

It took 2 1/2 times longer than the actual cruising time to upload this over Voom, heavily compressed and reduced in file size.   

That's a lot of sailing to get to a glacier where they only spent a few minutes it seems like... how long were you guys at that glacier? The ship did one spin and it left? lol

21 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Yep, per Twangster... no guarantees.

This is the official word:

Royal IQ has a chat function however you’re supposed to by a package

2BF1F2A5-5FA7-430E-AAF8-3C06EFA4ED70.png

895EE8BA-0950-4108-BE9F-4DADC4B57425.png

Is the package $8 for the whole week? I thought I saw someone post about that earlier in the thread... we are sailing in August as well and won't be getting Voom since we like to disconnect on cruises...but definitely want to stay in touch with our group via texting on the Royal iQ app... we have Apple phones as well so it'll be interesting to see what iMessage can/cannot do.

1 minute ago, Hoopster95 said:

3744C3B9-1AE2-45FE-AA62-E271B86D5400.png

Perfect, thank you! Totally worth it...hopefully it works better than VOOM lol

I hope you guys are enjoying your last night on the cruise... I know it's sad..but as they be happy that it happened and not sad that it's over... thanks again for the wonderful review and information, it definitely helped a lot of folks including myself. I am still 3 months away from Ovation but hope to tour it in July! Safe travels home all, I hope you enjoy your stay in my hometown city of Seattle... it was beautiful today, back to 60s/cloudy tomorrow/Friday though... shoot!

29 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

That's a lot of sailing to get to a glacier where they only spent a few minutes it seems like... how long were you guys at that glacier? The ship did one spin and it left? lol

Lots of big ice flow in the fjord, 1st time for large Ovation and for the pilot... they slowed right down and noticeably zig-zagged in some parts to dodge

some of the ice. We were able to see the Glacier approx 1:15 from 1st peak as we turned To corner to when we left. The transit in and out of the channel is Part of the beauty of Endicott Arm 

Edited by Hoopster95

6 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

Safe travels home all,

Thx for the well wishes and following along 😁

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Ah... you were in there too? 

Whats your opinion of the WJ?

WJ has been solid for me.  Never saw the MDR, assume it's just like Anthem.  

44 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

Any ship's visit depends on ice conditions.  Early season and the pilots have little to go on.  Not the first time a bridge crew was cautious and for good reason. 

Every week is different, that's Alaska.  

Good to know about the WJ... we have actually enjoyed the buffet quite a bit in past cruises over MDR... it's fast, easy, more selection and good food. While I definitely enjoy the sit-down experience at the MDR, why take 2-3 hours to eat when it can be done in less than 1 hour! It looks like the WJ on Ovation is nicely organizsed... do you know if they had Indian food any of the days in the WJ? I love cruise ship Indian food... oh and Mexican too! How were those offerings if you noticed and tried the food?

48 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

Is the package $8 for the whole week?.. we have Apple phones as well so it'll be interesting to see what iMessage can/cannot do.

Before you buy the texting option inside the app, try using iMessage while connected to the ship’s WiFi. 

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Before you buy the texting option inside the app, try using iMessage while connected to the ship’s WiFi. 

Will do! Appreciate this insight... fingers crossed that it still works lol

9 minutes ago, johnt83 said:

Good to know about the WJ... we have actually enjoyed the buffet quite a bit in past cruises over MDR... it's fast, easy, more selection and good food. While I definitely enjoy the sit-down experience at the MDR, why take 2-3 hours to eat when it can be done in less than 1 hour! It looks like the WJ on Ovation is nicely organizsed... do you know if they had Indian food any of the days in the WJ? I love cruise ship Indian food... oh and Mexican too! How were those offerings if you noticed and tried the food?

Yep, butter chicken/Dahl/lamb curry yesterday. Three days ago huge Mexican Station, guac, fajitas, enchiladas.

Theme lunches and dinners each night. They also had Malaysian night and Thai for example. Standard fresh pasta Station each night.... and the best views with huge windows as well as the open air seating farthest aft.

Just now, Hoopster95 said:

Yep, butter chicken/Dahl/lamb curry yesterday. Three days ago huge Mexican Station, guac, fajitas, enchiladas.

Theme lunches and dinners each night. They also had Malaysian night and Thai for example. Standard fresh pasta Station each night.... and the best views with huge windows as well as the open air seating farthest aft.

Yessss! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it 😛 Love the theme lunches/dinner idea, that'll make things interesting on a daily basis and definitely compete with the MDR... we typically swing by the MDR on a daily basis to see what their offerings are... we are vegetarian so we have to be a bit more selective in where we eat... if there isn't anything good we just hit up the WJ... never been disappointed in it. I think we may do MDR on formal night... which I think there are typically 2 on a 7-night sailing...