Cruise Critic Community
Hoopster95

OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

While Ovation is totally different than any other class of ship in the fleet, there certainly are a few things on board that tie this ship together with what we know and love on all RCL ships. 😊

18.JPG

20.JPG

21.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

I won't spend hardly any time at all on Icy Strait or Sitka as Ovation is not visiting there anymore, however with regard to Alaskan views on Ovation within the inside passage, and whale/bear watching during this time of year.... well....

Approaching Icy Strait, with an example of the incredible Alaskan views from the bridge wing and almost the exact same view at the same time from inside the Solarium.

2.JPG

3.JPG

Icy Strait is a really small ... this is all there is below

4.JPG

The very first port of call ever in Alaska for Ovation

5.JPG

6.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

What is there to do in Icy Strait and Hoonah? Not much. You need to get out to really see what Alaska has to offer. This is prime location for incredible whale & bear watching, flying excursions (twangster), fishing charters (drusierdmd)... this is not a port area to sit around for a couple of hours, complain that it's boring, and get back on the ship for your 1000th WJ lunch. Have fresh Alaskan catch/crab legs at the Cannery or one of the many other venues on shore.

7.JPG

8.JPG

Orcas!!!!!

9.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

I covered my Sitka day already during the live portion of this review with just enough internet when I was there... that was a DIY day for me which included a great walk with a ton to see, very easy town to DIY. Sitka was the opportunity once again for many excursion options which I opted out from as I had spent a ton of money for the next couple of days in Juneau & Skagway, so the DIY day turned out to be perfect.

Here's a couple of dining topics...

I really liked Cafe Two70 for both lunch and breakfast for a change of pace. For breakfast, they had several items that were not available anywhere on the ship including the "Royal Egg Muffin", breakfast burrito, and a full bagel station with various flavoured cream cheeses and fixin's. Their breakfast croissants filled with ham/egg/cheese are grilled/pressed... YUM!

Grab your breakfast, have your specialty D+ coffee made for you by the barista, and head over to your favorite Two70 seat to gaze at the awesome views while enjoying breakfast before your excursion that day

IMG_3151.JPG

IMG_3152.JPG

IMG_3153.JPG

IMG_3154.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

That night was our 3rd CC get-together at a specialty venue, and we chose Jamie's. I have never been the biggest Jamie's fan even before being placed on Royal ships, and have always enjoyed Giovanni's (and Portofinos) more. Having said that, our family style meal turned out to be very good on this evening with great service and great company. The sides, appies and pastas all came out hot and tasty. No complaints....

Well maybe one.... nothing beats Giovanni's Tiramisu, imo the 2nd best desert RCL has to offer other than "The World" in Wonderland

IMG_3411.JPG

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

4 hours ago, bluecartakesacruise said:

Wow, I thought I got up early.

What time do they change these? I always wondered... 🙂 I don't like seeing the last day before the cruise ends!

On 5/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Ovation2.thumb.jpg.96f9a4563812124a9aec6e95250f4b10.jpg

Hello,

Can you tell me what part of Alaska you are in, in this picture?  I'm interested in an Alaskan cruise as close to the winter time as possible, or at least a cruise where I can see glaciers, and snow-capped mountains.

Again (and again!) thank you for this thread. It's beyond helpful. We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes. I understand the MDRs are smart dress and we certainly won't flaunt any dress codes, but my tween girls live in flip flops and Birkenstocks. Will it be OK for them to wear these at the WJC and around the ship? I am just figuring out what we need to buy/pack and any tips on how people dress on the Ovation Alaska cruise would be very helpful!

1 hour ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

Again (and again!) thank you for this thread. It's beyond helpful. We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes. I understand the MDRs are smart dress and we certainly won't flaunt any dress codes, but my tween girls live in flip flops and Birkenstocks. Will it be OK for them to wear these at the WJC and around the ship? I am just figuring out what we need to buy/pack and any tips on how people dress on the Ovation Alaska cruise would be very helpful!

Also I'd love to ask the same question of jeans. I see a lot of people wearing them in photos. Are they acceptable for the WJC and/or the MDRs as long as they aren't ripped/dirty?

2 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

I'm interested in an Alaskan cruise as close to the winter time as possible, or at least a cruise where I can see glaciers, and snow-capped mountains.

You are going to get that early in the season - May. But, don't base you cruise on just that potential view, which may not be available due to crappy weather.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

You are going to get that early in the season - May. But, don't base you cruise on just that potential view, which may not be available due to crappy weather.

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise for the best hope of seeing this.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

Edited by briankeith513

Just now, briankeith513 said:

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

You won't have much choice as all of Ovation's 7 day sailings sailing have the same itinerary - the closest you'll get on those is Endicott/Dawes glacier. For a better chance you'd have consider Radiance and/or Serenade.

Claudio, I just booked us on the Ovation for March 2021 from Sydney.  Great prices right now. Looking forward to finally getting to sail this ship.

9 minutes ago, briankeith513 said:

Thanks, so I'd choose a May cruise for the best hope of seeing this.  Is there a certain itinerary/ports/location to cruise to for the possible snow-capped mountains and glaciers?

As biker19 mentioned, May or early June will yield a different experience compared to later in the season.

In 2017 I took a cruise the first week of June Southbound from Seward to Vancouver.    In 2018 I repeated this same itinerary at the end of August.  Differences included snow capped mountains versus no snow on the same mountains and big difference in the day light or length of each day.

I compared the two cruises and illustrated it with photos of the same mountain taken from the train from Anchorage to Seward.  I still can't reference my hosting provider for images here on CC so here is a link to post that compares the two cruises.

I just uploaded my pictures of our pre-cruise day in Vancouver onto Smug Mug.  We only had one full day there and so we took a City Highlights Tour with LandSea Tours.  Highly recommended if you are going to cruise on the Radiance out of Vancouver.  We  are looking forward to September 2020 when we will have more time to explore this lovely city before our cruise to Hawaii on the Serenade.

https://sunnyazgirl.smugmug.com/2019-Alaska-on-Ovation-Of-The-Seas

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

13 hours ago, johnt83 said:

Loving the post-cruise posts, keep them coming!

You're welcome.... by the way, was it you who asked about using photos and video? By all means go ahead

13 hours ago, johnt83 said:

What time do they change these? I always wondered... 🙂 I don't like seeing the last day before the cruise ends!

That was taken at 11:55pm... basically midnight

4 hours ago, briankeith513 said:

Can you tell me what part of Alaska you are in, in this picture? 

Just to be clear, unless I had an out-of-body experience and I floated out and up above Ovation by a couple thousand feet, I didn't take this photo! This is "photo-shopped", I believe Radiance has the exact same backdrop on some promo material.

This is a deceiving photo that Royal does not promote anymore I don't think... I haven;t seen it for a while anyways. It was from a RCL advertisement or promo last year promoting Ovation to Alaska for the first time. This is Hubbard Glacier... in which Ovation will no longer visit again.

4 hours ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

We are first time cruisers and I have a question about dress codes.

Agh!!!! Open up Pandora's box, hey?? Maybe we can talk about tipping as well? 😈

Dress code is a hot topic item on these forums.

The reality bottom line answer:

You and your daughter can wear anything you want on any day you want -- pajamas, ripped & soiled shorts and shorts, baseball caps, sunglasses, the cheapest/ugliest/most tattered footwear you can find, clothing with offensive slogans and/or pictures... anything goes... right up to gowns, tuxes on the "suggested" formal night and everything in between (ie. nice smart casual clothing, dresses, shoes, slacks, so you can actually look nice going to a show or the dance event after dinner for example). However Royal will not enforce.... and yes I've seen every one of the negative  items above in the main dining at some point the last 4 years.

I feel this sailing had a slightly higher age demographic being an 11 day sailing in May (kids in school), so I also feel the respect level on board regarding clothing was perfect on this sailing.... everyone was very nice and respectful, mostly casual (ie. sweater/polo shirt/collared + jeans. I personally wore slacks/dockers and dress shoes ni the evening). I didn't see anything alarming, however I wasn't looking for it either.

Edited by Hoopster95

1 hour ago, briankeith513 said:

Not on Ovation... only Radiance of the Seas will get this Hubbard Glacier view over the next two years.

If you want a more "raw" view of Alaska and snow caps, go through my review and look at my photos... the scenery around Sitka and Icy Strait (and Wrangell for those sailing Oceania or Azamara) is to die for.

I take it you've never been to Alaska on a cruise? If so, and if you really want to see more of Alaska rather than making the vacation about the ship itself, then the radiance of the Seas itinerary is the best

1 hour ago, singinalot said:

Claudio, I just booked us on the Ovation for March 2021 from Sydney.  Great prices right now. Looking forward to finally getting to sail this ship.

Hey singin... That is awesome! You are going to have a major blast!

1 hour ago, twangster said:

Folks, if you've never seen a photo review by twangster, I dare you to click on the link above and show me any other CC review with photos of this calibre anywhere... and the review itself is top notch. Perhaps the best reviewer out there, check out this link and follow it for a ton of tips on a Radiance sailing that includes Ketchikan

2 hours ago, SacCaliCruiser said:

Also I'd love to ask the same question of jeans. I see a lot of people wearing them in photos. Are they acceptable for the WJC and/or the MDRs as long as they aren't ripped/dirty?

I personally wore nice jeans and a nicer top once or twice to the MDR on casual nights.  First time ever for me on 22 cruises.  But this itinerary was just more casual overall, I felt.  I still wore a fancy black skirt and and a dressy top on formal nights.  DH wore a sports coat on formal nights and just a collared shirt on the other nights with Dockers.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl