Transfer: Southampton—London (incl. LHR/LGW) train, car, other?

6 hours ago, John Bull said:

There's a direct tube line from London Waterloo to Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Actually Not. 

While both are on the Northern Line, they're on different branches of the Northern Line (which in reality is really two lines)

Kings X / St P - Hammersmith & City, Circle, Metropolitan, Victoria, Piccadilly, Northern (Bank Branch)
Waterloo - Bakerloo, Jubilee, Waterloo & City, Northern (Charing Cross Branch)

1 hour ago, scottbee said:

Actually Not. 

While both are on the Northern Line, they're on different branches of the Northern Line (which in reality is really two lines)

Ooops. 

Quite right.

Like I said, needs a Londoner to advise on tube journeys.

Or, apparently, a Canadian 😉

JB 😊

(on my old I-Pad, techie Cruise Critic grief on my steam_powered desktop)

On 2/28/2020 at 1:03 AM, John Bull said:

There are pros & cons choosing between Nat Express coach or the train. Coach is simpler and cheaper (just £5), train is quicker, but there's little in it.

Southampton's coach & train stations are close enough to each-other as to make no difference.

---------------------------------------

On Nat Express's current timetable your best options are from  Southampton coach station 07.30  am or 08.40 am.

For most ships the 07.30am is possible with unassisted disembarkation from about 7 am, but that leaves you no wiggle-time.

Way better to book the 08.40 am coach.

Decide for yourselves whether to disembark unassisted before 7.30, or standard disembarkation (for which you may have to ask at guest relations for an early disembarkation time-slot, citing your onward travel arrangements).

There might be a line for taxis, bear that in mind. 

Quote the name of your ship or cruise terminal, which might affect that decision.

Victoria train station is a simple and level 10 - 15 minute walk from Victoria coach station. 

There's a direct tube line from Victoria train station to Kings Cross/St Pancras.

It needs a Londoner / tube regular to advise how easy to negotiate those tube stations with luggage. 

From Victoria coach station to Premier Inn Kings Cross is 5 miles / 30+ minutes by taxi. At a guess at least £20, mebbe more.

Train fares to London Waterloo vary enormously, the current walk-up fare is over £46 but there are restricted advance fares (available from about 8 weeks out) as low as £15.40

On the current train timetable your best bet is the 08.30. Timing is ideal, and the advance fare £15.40. To see the advance fares you'll need to choose a random weekday date in March. The advance ticket prices rise closer to the date, and sometimes sell-out. They're only good for the train time that you choose, miss that train and the tickets are trash - you'll have to catch the next one at the walk-up fare. (same applies to Nat Express tickets, with the added disadvantage that the coaches are nowhere near as frequent and do book-out.)

Timetabling and ticketing are liable to change, so you need to diarise a date in July to book.

(there are also hourly trains from Southampton to London Victoria. But they take a circuitous route adding an hour to the journey time, and they present no advantages in your circumstances, so best avoided) 

There's a direct tube line from London Waterloo to Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Same comments as above from Victoria.

Ditto taxis.

A private transfer will cost vaguely around £130.

Try ...  

https://www.smithsairportcars.co.uk/

https://westquaycars.com/

http://www.aquacars.co.uk/

All are based at the Southampton end, so the driver won't be caught in motorway traffic heading to your pick-up.

Some ships offer coach transfers to London Victoria coach station - not worth the much higher fares.

But some offer a ship's coach transfer to Kings Cross / St Pancras. That's aimed at passengers bound for the Eurostar trains to mainland Europe, but would be ideal for you. Just be aware it might not be great value.

Or, if you want a tour-transfer to London this pasted straight from a recent post of mine

Or does International Friends offer a tour-transfer on your disembarkation day?

Choices include Salisbury+Stonehenge, or Bath, or the Cotswolds.

And all of them include Windsor

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_london_transfers.htm

SOUTHAMPTON TO LONDON CRUISE SHIP SHUTTLES & TOUR TRANSFERS 2020

Much more comprehensive and better value than their London-to-Southampton tour/transfer because they're not constrained by ship registration/embarkation time.

And certainly simpler and easier than DIY by rented car.

Downsides are that it's their itinerary & timing rather than your own, and time at Windsor castle is likely to be quite limited.

But a well;-respected tour/transfer operator.

------------------------------------

Only other option I can think of is to walk. 

80 miles, about 26 hours.

Probably a bit far if you have luggage :classic_wink:

JB :classic_smile:

Thanks John for your detailed answers. Sorry I haven't acknowledged your reply earlier - having internet issues!

Think we will pass on the walk!!!!!

Might do a post on tripadvisor regarding the tube stations.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...

What about car rentals if we wanted take a day to stop  in Windors and Stonehenge etc.. on the way up and back?  Where are the car rental offices in Southhamton? Avis if they are in town. Thanks.

Edited by bearette

Will arrive to London one Wednesday at St Pancras Int, EUROSTAR train from Amsterdam around 5PM, looking for transfers to Holiday Inn in Southampton, 2 PAX, 3 suitcase and 2 hand bags.

Service Cars quote around £160 for the meet and greet service.

Train to Southampton leaves from Waterloo, don't want to change station with luggage.

Are there buses to Southampton at the terminal?

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2020 at 4:02 AM, bearette said:

What about car rentals if we wanted take a day to stop  in Windors and Stonehenge etc.. on the way up and back?  Where are the car rental offices in Southhamton? Avis if they are in town. Thanks.

On 4/19/2020 at 5:47 PM, gerelmx said:

Will arrive to London one Wednesday at St Pancras Int, EUROSTAR train from Amsterdam around 5PM, looking for transfers to Holiday Inn in Southampton, 2 PAX, 3 suitcase and 2 hand bags.

Service Cars quote around £160 for the meet and greet service.

Train to Southampton leaves from Waterloo, don't want to change station with luggage.

Are there buses to Southampton at the terminal?

Sorry for not replying sooner, folks - I keep forgetting about this thread up in the stickies.:classic_rolleyes:

Plenty of car rental agencies near the port, incl Hertz, National, Europcar, Alamo, Enterprise. With luggage best to take a 2 to 5 minute (£7 to £10) cab ride from any cruise terminal. Do check their hours, some don't open on sundays.

But Avis is the odd-one-out - their Southampton depot is out of the city at Southampton airport, a 20 minute (£20 to£25) cab ride away. Its one small advantage is that it's close to the motorway system, so no city driving at the start. 

---------------------------------------------------------------

There are no buses to Southampton from St Pancras.  

National Express buses leave from London Victoria coach station. Choice of a 4-mile 20-minute taxi ride from St Pancras (£20-£25?) or there a direct tube route (Victoria line) then 10 minute walk from Victoria tube station to Victoria coach station.

Nat Express buses are excellent value at about £10 to Southampton, journey time about 2hrs 15 mins.

Direct trains to Southampton from London Waterloo. No direct tube line from St Pancras, it involves one change. Or a taxi, £15 - £20? for the 3.5 mile ride.

There are a couple of potential problems in using public transport.....

Unless it's a weekend, an arrival at St Pancras at 5pm puts you right in the middle of commuter time. That makes the tube to Victoria a bit of a challenge with luggage, and I'd be even more wary of the tube to Waterloo because of having to change tube trains.

Also, commuter-time traffic might add to a taxi fare - London's cabs are charged by both time and distance. 

Nat Express buses to Southampton are infrequent and if your Eurostar is late, or your cross-London slow, you might have a long wait for the next bus. And altho pre-booking the Nat Express isn't a requirement it's strongly advised - and your booking can't be transferred to a later bus. 

Vaguely similar with the trains from Waterloo. About 3 trains per hour, journey time about 90 minutes, no requirement to pre-book, so that all looks good.

But the walk-up fare is about £40, so 2 x train plus 1 x taxi takes the cost toward that of a simple door-to-door private transfer. From about 8 weeks out you can buy advance train tickets for as little as £12 - £15, but those tickets are only good for the train that you book - miss that train and your advance tickets are trash & you'll have to pay the walk-up fare for the next one. That's fine for folk lodging in London, but you are dependent on Eurostar and crossing central London during commuter-time.

A private transfer resolves those problems - at a cost. Some transfer operators charge waiting time if your train is late, some don't. The cost for the drive is fixed - if there's traffic grief it won't cost you extra.

The £160 you've been quoted is at the upper end of reasonable, but it might have been loaded because of the time of day.

Can I suggest you get quotes from Smiths for Airports, West Quay Cars and Aquacars (all based in Southampton) and Blackberry Cars (London-based) - all are recommended by Cruise Critic members, see earlier posts for links. Remember to check if there's a waiting time charge should Eurostar be late.

Hopefully those quotes will be a little lower, and the experiences of CC members give you confidence in  them. 

Altho some cruise lines offer transfers to / from St Pancras, that's only on the morning of sailing-day.

It's a difficult one - pros & cons with all choices.

JB :classic_smile:

• 6 months later...

I too am looking for a transfer from Southampton Cruise Terminal to London Heathrow.  I've seen Smiths for Airports recommended here and it has excellent reviews on tripadvisor.  But they won't give me a quote earlier than 6 months in advance.  We are now 10 months in advance.  Can someone tell me approximately how much they would charge for 2 passengers, 2 large suitcases, 2 rollaboards, and 2 small backpacks from the Southampton cruise dock to LHR?  That way I will know whether to book something else now, or wait for Smiths. 

Woodford Chauffeur Cars ---  we were booked with this company for our 2020 Baltic cruise transfers. That cruise like others was cancelled and we rebooked for July 2021. I attempted to rebook transfers with Woodford but it appears the company no longer exists.  Can someone confirm this for me? Thanks