What is your favorite ship class and why?

I just realized this is an 8 month old thread so you've probably made your choice already but if not (or for others planning trips for large groups):

With 40 people of diverse ages and interests, it makes sense to go with the ship that offer something for everyone.  Oasis and Quantum class fit the description to a tee. Liberty would probably be the "smallest" ship I would go down to but as an added bonus, I believe I saw on another thread she is going to be AMP'd in Q1 of 2021 so you'd be sailing on one of the "newest" ships in the fleet.

To date, I've been on all classes except the smallest (Empress) and largest (Oasis - though we'll be on her in less than 3 weeks) and I feel that the Freedom Class is a great starter ship for a group with varied ages. We have had two family reunions (Age ranges from 5 to 80s) on that class (Liberty and Independence) and all had a great time.  There was plenty to do and see and it was simpler to go to shows without having to reserve spots like one has to do on Oasis and Quantum class ships. Between the variety of entertainment and dining options on the Oasis and Quantum class ships, it can get a little overwhelming.  To me it would be easer to manage a large group on the other ships.

If I could always have my way, anytime a first time cruiser goes with me I would want them to experience a real cruise ship first (Vision, Radiance, Empress, Majesty).  My theory for that is if they go on Voyager/Freedom/Quantum/Oasis first then everything else will be second rate in their opinion.  I want them to experience true cruising before it became mega resorts at sea.

Edited by Moltar
  • Like 2

A few years ago I would have said Voyager/Freedom with Oasis class in second place. However, since they have chopped up and added so many cabins on the Voyager and Freedom classes in the past couple of years, Oasis is now my favorite. I only wish Oasis had some view of the ocean instead of being all inward focused. 

2 hours ago, Ron Don said:

Vision Class because it's a "baby" Freedom Class.

I'm interested in why you think this. It looks like an older version of a Radiance class to me. To me the baby Freedom is Voyager class.

Edited by Moltar

I like the Freedom and Voyager class the best, but I think for a large varied group the Oasis class would be perfect.  It never feels crowded and the variety of things to do along with the varied eateries will please everyone.  Being able to enjoy the huge promenade , Boardwalk and Central Park make this class different.

9 hours ago, janetz said:

Oasis class 

Ships are a destination on their own and the shows are the best at sea 😊

Something for everyone 

Interesting. That's what I always thought, but in response to a question about bizarre event scheduling, the cruise director on Symphony said something like there was nothing he could do about it because the ship wasn't designed to have everyone aboard at once.