Cruise Critic Community
soozles

What to do with baby

Hi all! We (me, my husband, and will be 8 month old son) are going to be in Bermuda for 2.5 days in August on our Celebrity cruise. Please no comments about how we should leave him at home, or it’s not a vacation with the baby. 

What sort of things are recommended with an infant? We love beaches but we usually only spend 3-4 hours max at the beach. From what I’ve read, Crystal Caves will be out because of the stairs involved. 

My son right now is pretty easy going and can nap pretty much anywhere, actually loves taking naps in his stroller, so I’m not super concerned with having to go back to the ship for naps. But I also realize that means I’m going to be lugging a bunch of stuff around with us if we are thinking of doing beach in the morning and then something else in the afternoon. 

My info is a couple years old, but might still be helpful and maybe others can fill in the gaps.

In June 2017, we took our 18 mo. old with us on a Bermuda overnight cruise out of NJ (5 nights on RCI Anthem).  I know he was a little bit older than yours, but it was definitely still vacation to us!

The one thing I found great about it was that we ended up napping every day along with him.  We're normally so "go go go" on vacation that it was something that actually helped us relax a bit more.  We brought the baby monitor with us so that we could be on our balcony when he napped, and it was perfect.  One of us would put him down while the other went up to the buffet and bring a plate back, then the other would go up and bring a plate back--lunch and a couple drinks out on the balcony, then nap time for us too!

As for actually being in Bermuda, we got there the first day at 9:00am.  We just did the Snorkel Park Beach right there in the Dockyard.  It's not much, but it got the job done for us as we really didn't spend a ton of time at the beach, and knew we were going to get back on board a little before 1:00 for nap time (at that age, ours wasn't quite as good at the "sleep anywhere" thing anymore).  The beach is rocky, but our son liked sitting in the sand and picking at the rocks, so it was a "win" in that regard.  As I recall, you only had to pay for admission (for the adults) once, so we could go back out/in the rest of the day.

Day 2 we woke up early and were on one of the first mini-buses to get to Horseshoe.  It was great, only $7pp each way (no charge for our son who just sat on my wife's lap).  Can't remember what the cost was for a couple of beach chairs and umbrellas, maybe $40, including tip?  Not sure, but it was nice getting there early, as the beach really wasn't crowded for most of the time we were there.  Again, we probably left around noon, and when we got up, told a family nearby that they were welcome to use the chairs/umbrella.  Seemed to make their day, which was nice.

Other than beach time, we spent time walking around the Dockyard.  The 2017 Americas cup was in Bermuda the weeks surrounding our time in port, so there were even some of the racing yachts about.  Unfortunately, the actual races were all on days other than when we were in Bermuda.  We shopped and ate there at the Dockyard... but had dinner on the ship, since the staff was so great with our son.  He was in heaven, but perhaps it's worth finding somewhere better to eat on the island.  I think we were just shy about it being his first real vacation and not wanting to push things too far.

We are booked to go back to Bermuda (only for the day this time) in July/Aug with our now two sons--3.5 and 1.5y/o.  This will be our longest cruise ever at 8 nights.  Can't wait to go back to Bermuda!

The only thing I can add is that the Busses only allow umbrella strollers, which stinks if you like to bring a large diaper bag etc with you.  So if you take the bus to Bamz or the beach, just be aware.   We bought a cheap umbrella stroller just for the trip.