Vegan menu coming to RCI????

On another board, someone made the comment that they had seen a Vegan menu on Enchantment, and that the head waiter said that it was coming fleet wide.  Just wondering if anyone is able to confirm this, or has pictures of the menu.  My wife is a strict vegan, and it is always stressful having to jump through the hoops trying to get a vegan meal, then having to settle for usually a single choice, then getting that meal almost every night for the entire cruise.  We are going to be on Allure in December so are really hoping it is available at that time.

I know Indy has one, I've heard recently Oasis has one, and it is supposed to be fleet wide but as with anything, your mileage may vary.  We have had ok to amazing experiences in the last 11 years I've been vegan and on cruises.  Always find a head chef in the windjammer, they can help identify or create things there that work, and the MDR has always been able to accommodate, though sometimes its with steamed veggies and plain baked potato.  We get creative with spices available but we try not to be too demanding or picky.  We actually never went to the MDR on Indy recently but had an amazing time at Izumi with veggie sushi and got terrific nachos by taking off everything we couldn't have but were left with a huge plate of chips, jalapenos, quac and salsa!

• 2 weeks later...

My husband is soy and gluten intolerant.  The Head Waiters on each cruise we have been on have been awesome getting him taken care of.  They not only make sure the current meal is right, but they make sure the following day is set, too, even when we are eating at different venues.  The buffet is the most challenging, but even there, a chef will walk through and point out what is good and what is not.  Royal does not want sick or unhappy people.  They truly handle this very well.  First dinner, eat in the Main Dining Room and ask to speak with the Head Waiter.  It will set you up for a great experience the whole cruise.

I was on Freedom last September and they had a vegan menu in the MDR. I placed my order the night before. The choices were limited and by the end of the cruise I was getting tired of eating the same thing a few times. I'll be on Allure in August and I hope a vegan menu will be offered again. I also plan to contact the dining room via email before the cruise to let them know of my family's special requests.

Even prior to any vegan menus being on board we have found they are very happy to help when we've met with the head waiter and explained.  We still talk about one cruise on Liberty 5 years ago where we were spoiled every night with chef creations.  We still find it hit or miss and I do bring supplies to help if options are really limited but we've never been starving and many times been stuffed! 🙂

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 9:09 AM, shipgeeks said:

Grandeur.  Menu by request; order the day before.

Same as with special needs.  My wife who has high blood pressure and diabetes, goes over the menu with the Head Waiter the night before.  She's had, in past cruises, crock of French Onion soup with no salt and tasted wonderful.  Same for other entrees accompanied with vegetables and tossed salads.  Sugar free desserts are also pretty good.

Occasionally, she splurges on SR in Giovanni's/Jamie and Chop's.

19 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

I would guess that a fair portion of some crews are vegan so they may already be making vegan food for the crew.

I can see some of the crew being vegetarian depending on their backgrounds.

However, I doubt a fair portion would be vegan as vegan "food" requires technically advanced fermentation and genetic  modification procedures to produce the proteins used in the substitute quasi food items. 

That type of processed food stuff probably would not be as available in some of their home countries as production is both expensive and resource wasting. The needed supplements to ensure that all nutritional requirements of omnivore humans are met are also expensive.

Edited by Homosassa

13 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

However, I doubt a fair portion would be vegan as vegan "food" requires technically advanced fermentation and genetic  modification procedures to produce the proteins used in the substitute quasi food items. 

That type of processed food stuff probably would not be as available in some of their home countries as production is both expensive and resource wasting. The needed supplements to ensure that all nutritional requirements of omnivore humans are met are also expensive.

Huh? No it doesn’t! It’s just different grains, rice, veggies, fruits, potatoes.... and sometimes tofu

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, crcossel said:

Huh? No it doesn’t! It’s just different grains, rice, veggies, fruits, potatoes.... and sometimes tofu

How about the  vegan food stuff  such as "cheese," meat substitute, and other manipulated things. 

Read the label on some of this stuff.  Learn what "isolated pea protein" is and how it is made. Learn about "mycoprotein" (fermented slime mold). Actually learn about any of the ingredients and what they actually are and how they are made. Learn how resource draining the production of such items are.

Maybe some can claim to be vegan and only eat grains, rice, veggies, fruit , and tofu, but many don't and do eat the highly processed substitute "food."  

In any case, I was just pointing out the being a vegan is a first world phenomenon. Vegetarianism is the more common eating habit and animal protein (milk, eggs, cheese) is eaten by those who can afford it.  

17 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

How about the  vegan food stuff  such as "cheese," meat substitute, and other manipulated things. 

Read the label on some of this stuff.  Learn what "isolated pea protein" is and how it is made. Learn about "mycoprotein" (fermented slime mold). Actually learn about any of the ingredients and what they actually are and how they are made. Learn how resource draining the production of such items are.

Maybe some can claim to be vegan and only eat grains, rice, veggies, fruit , and tofu, but many don't and do eat the highly processed substitute "food."  

In any case, I was just pointing out the being a vegan is a first world phenomenon. Vegetarianism is the more common eating habit and animal protein (milk, eggs, cheese) is eaten by those who can afford it.  

That’s vegan junk food and a fairly western/American phenomenon. There aren’t plenty of plants to eat with out all that fake stuff. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

About 40% on Indians are vegetarian; some ships have Indian's as part of the crew.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/world/china/Chinas-vegetarian-population-touches-50-million-Report/articleshow/29725767.cms

image.png.3f2c8c842dd2041becea342d1fa3929b.png

According to the world vegetarian outfits, India where the v ..

According to the world vegetarian outfits, India where the v ..