Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
newpherchris

Carnival Sunrise pictures (second sailing)

Recommended Posts

awesome pics thanks for sharing the link. did you happen to notice if they had PYOB (pour your own beer) stations on the ship?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, jocko4279 said:

awesome pics thanks for sharing the link. did you happen to notice if they had PYOB (pour your own beer) stations on the ship?

They didn't have them, now that you mention it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

 

 

What exactly is Lucky Bowl?  I've never seen a Lucky Bowl on any of the Carnival ships I've been on.  Is it at the buffet?  or separate like the Seafood Shack?  Just curious what other kinds of food they offer.

 

 

It's located where is say 'chopsticks' below. At some point the name must have changed. They had three breakfast options and three lunch options daily. I observed several repeats after a couple of days. Pho soup was definitely on the menu for several days. It's NOT like the Mongolian Wok, where you select your stuff and hand it to the chef. You basically tell them which of the three items you want, and you get it in a small bowl. I recall some roasted pork soup thing with rice noodles and a similar chicken option. I tried the pork option: it was quick, tasty, and very salty. (There are a few condiments like miso paste and roasted sesame seeds that you can add yourself.)

 

etc. image.thumb.png.ea08d15ddfca81dd1d3be5ce4d0fa7f7.png

 

20 hours ago, vegasgal47 said:

Thank you so much for the wonder pictures!  I can't wait until I go (October).  

 

Question - did they ever serve lobster in the dining room for dinner or is that an extra fee?

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Radiance will be receiving the same treatment I'll be impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great photos. The ship looks good. Your cabin and view from their is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

I am looking forward to seeing some photos of he Extended Balcony Grand Suites on deck 5, 5343 and or 5342. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, newpherchris said:

It's located where is say 'chopsticks' below. At some point the name must have changed. They had three breakfast options and three lunch options daily. I observed several repeats after a couple of days. Pho soup was definitely on the menu for several days. It's NOT like the Mongolian Wok, where you select your stuff and hand it to the chef. You basically tell them which of the three items you want, and you get it in a small bowl. I recall some roasted pork soup thing with rice noodles and a similar chicken option. I tried the pork option: it was quick, tasty, and very salty. (There are a few condiments like miso paste and roasted sesame seeds that you can add yourself.)

 

etc. image.thumb.png.ea08d15ddfca81dd1d3be5ce4d0fa7f7.png

 

 

 

Thanks for the information!  Can't wait to try it!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 9:50 AM, ksmcdonald said:

 

 

What exactly is Lucky Bowl?  I've never seen a Lucky Bowl on any of the Carnival ships I've been on.  Is it at the buffet?  or separate like the Seafood Shack?  Just curious what other kinds of food they offer.

 

 

4 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

 

Thanks for the information!  Can't wait to try it!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, livingthedream1 said:

 

Seems like a nice new option for breakfast and lunch . Bowls seem to be the new thing these days. Its good to see Carnival trying new things

5 hours ago, ksmcdonald said:

 

Thanks for the information!  Can't wait to try it!

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was not able to see the pictures, because it told me to get the google photo app. Is that a free app? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you so much. After the first reviews I saw, I was a little worried. After seeing your pictures I feel much better!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great pictures! We were on this sailing and had a great time. Be prepared for lines at the buffet though and occasionally for the dining room.  There is lots of smoke in the casino, and unfortunately you have to walk through it to get to lots of other places on the ship.

 

We  thought the cruise director was fantastic -especially enjoyed his dancing on the lobby bar! Chris Williams, aka The Flying Scotsman. 

 

The shows and musicians were very good. The Comedy club can get very crowded so arrive early if you want to be sure to get a seat.

 

I purchased the mid price Wi-Fi package and had no problem with it.

 

We had great weather and that always helps! 

Edited by MaggieVa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teacher34 said:

I was not able to see the pictures, because it told me to get the google photo app. Is that a free app? 

yes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great photos, thanks for all your work on this. I'll be on the ship next month from NYC! 

I have a quick question. I noticed in the photo of the Fitness Center (BTW love the fitness center, like the Sunshine so much more room than the Vista class ships & with the high  ceilings you don't get clostrophobic) there's a staircase going up to another Area. Would you know what's up there? There was no such staircase on the Sunshine. If not, no worries. 

Edited by kwokpot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwokpot said:

Great photos, thanks for all your work on this. I'll be on the ship next month from NYC! 

I have a quick question. I noticed in the photo of the Fitness Center (BTW love the fitness center, like the Sunshine so much more room than the Vista class ships & with the high  ceilings you don't get clostrophobic) there's a staircase going up to another Area. Would you know what's up there? There was no such staircase on the Sunshine. If not, no worries. 

 

from the deck plans, it goes up to deck 12 where the kids club is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

Great photos, thanks for all your work on this. I'll be on the ship next month from NYC! 

I have a quick question. I noticed in the photo of the Fitness Center (BTW love the fitness center, like the Sunshine so much more room than the Vista class ships & with the high  ceilings you don't get clostrophobic) there's a staircase going up to another Area. Would you know what's up there? There was no such staircase on the Sunshine. If not, no worries. 

Hi! thanks! I loved the fitness room - it did have high ceilings but some equipment (mats, rowing machines were wedged into a slanted window that faced forward (i.e. same view as the bridge).  There was a barrier in front of the staircase, but it looked like it only led to a small loft that could be used for consultations, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 7:27 PM, Terimarie said:

Thank you so much. After the first reviews I saw, I was a little worried. After seeing your pictures I feel much better!

I'm so glad! no need to worry - she's a beautiful ship and it did not at all feel like Carnival had put lipstick on a pig. The crowds can get HUGE but as you can see in several of my pics, you can definitely find peaceful / quiet areas throughout the day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/15/2019 at 5:47 PM, grandmarnnurse said:

Great pics! I think I’d like to try this ship! 

thank you! we especially loved how Carnival 'softened' the back pool area - it felt very high-end compared to a typical Carnival ship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, newpherchris said:

I'm so glad! no need to worry - she's a beautiful ship and it did not at all feel like Carnival had put lipstick on a pig. The crowds can get HUGE but as you can see in several of my pics, you can definitely find peaceful / quiet areas throughout the day. 

The worry I still hold, though, is that it is STILL an old ship of Carnival that had mechanical issues. I wonder if they did work on the engines, etc? The Sunrise looks fabulous, but the problems the Triumph had still linger in my mind. I do want to sail this ship, as it looks lovely, but those questions still linger with me. I know that the Sunshine overcame its bad rap it had from being the Destiny. I’ve sailed both the Destiny, in 2001, and the Triumph, in 2007.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am looking forward to seeing the "new" ship next week.  I thought they did a great job on Destiny to Sunshine so I have high expectations for this one too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, grandmarnnurse said:

The worry I still hold, though, is that it is STILL an old ship of Carnival that had mechanical issues. I wonder if they did work on the engines, etc? The Sunrise looks fabulous, but the problems the Triumph had still linger in my mind. I do want to sail this ship, as it looks lovely, but those questions still linger with me. I know that the Sunshine overcame its bad rap it had from being the Destiny. I’ve sailed both the Destiny, in 2001, and the Triumph, in 2007.

I wouldn't worry about it, it had one problem and it was addressed at that time. I was on the Splendor a few years after it suffered a catastrophic engine failure....didn't think twice about cruising her 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:43 AM, grandmarnnurse said:

The worry I still hold, though, is that it is STILL an old ship of Carnival that had mechanical issues. I wonder if they did work on the engines, etc? The Sunrise looks fabulous, but the problems the Triumph had still linger in my mind. I do want to sail this ship, as it looks lovely, but those questions still linger with me. I know that the Sunshine overcame its bad rap it had from being the Destiny. I’ve sailed both the Destiny, in 2001, and the Triumph, in 2007.

I know your feeling. We were on the Triumph in 2013 when it had the engine fire and have avoided the ship since (we actually avoided Carnival altogether for 4 years). We have sailed on the Sunshine this past March and are planning on the Radiance next May. With all that said, I would consider cruising on the Sunrise but it probably wouldn't be my first choice ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow the ship will be offically christened as the new "Carnival Sunrise".  Thus, begins a new chapter for this ship.

 

MARAPRINCE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the marine traffic website, it has left Norfolk and is on its way to NYC to come and get ME tomorrow!  WOOHOO!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...