Cruise Critic Community
nanowerx

Is it more expensive to reserve specialty dining ahead of time or on the ship?

I know most things like shore excursions and beverage packages will be more expensive onboard, but how about specialty restaurants? Me and the wife are planning to eat at 150 Central Park on the 6th night of our 7 night cruise (our one 'date night' where we are sending the kids to Adventure Ocean), but aren't quite sure what our time schedule will be yet that evening and didn't want to prebook. That said, will I be expecting higher prices onboard...or do they actually do discounts later on in the cruise for the specialty dining?

Harmony of the Seas is the ship is that makes any difference for the answers.

Unfortuntately, pricing onboard is unpredictable.  They may offer discounts onboard, and they may not.

Can you not just pre-book now if you see a good price, and then change your reservation once onboard to a day/time that meets your needs?

Its my understanding that if you purchase it in advance, it would include the gratuity as opposed to purchasing it onboard.  You may want to take that into consideration.  You can purchase it in advance and always change the date if necessary.

The thing I like about purchasing specialty restaurants (or anything else for that matter like excursions and drink packages) in advance is you don't get hit with a big  bill at the end of your cruise. I like going into my cruise knowing most everything is paid for and if the price goes down at any point before your cruise you can cancel and rebook at the lower price.

18 minutes ago, Swank Pad G said:

The thing I like about purchasing specialty restaurants (or anything else for that matter like excursions and drink packages) in advance is you don't get hit with a big  bill at the end of your cruise. I like going into my cruise knowing most everything is paid for and if the price goes down at any point before your cruise you can cancel and rebook at the lower price.

Same here and I like the BOGO 2 night specialty dining on the first two nights. It's worked well and I call right away after boarding around 1 when the stateroom is ready to book it. 

Unfortunately BOGO hasn't been available - they've exchanged it for Chops+1 which is slightly less than the 3-dinner package.  That makes the 3-dinner package more attractive.

In the past 5 years or so my experience has been it is always less expensive to pre-purchase than to purchase onboard.  

Adventure Ocean evening session starts at 7PM, I would suggest a 7:15 reservation.