Cruise Critic Community
kura

So called “Service Dogs” on board ships

4 hours ago, Himself said:

No one questions the value of service dogs.  They are a great help.  The problems is when people call their put dog a sevice animal so they can take the pet on the cruise.

Any way I read the following comment, it appears that at least one person in this thread truly DOES question the value of service dogs:

23 hours ago, Mary229 said:

... The dog is an option and among the handicapped it is not really common of an option.  There are other choices.  ...

I believe 

..and I hope I am right....that there is something before Congress that would standardize a license and test for service dogs. Like a driver's license. Assistance Dog International has such a test but it is really difficult....takes most dogs 2 years to pass....and that is after puppy school and something like Canine Good Citizen. Trouble is that it is not required and you can't ask. We carry a card with us. It looks like a  driver's license. 

Posted (edited)

There is apparently no national standard in Canada either.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5232932/guide-dog-owners-national-standard-service-animal-training-ownership/

One comment that struck me was the fact that "comfort animals" in retail establishments can distract service dogs and cause distress for their owners.

Edited by daisy-mae
not relevant

13 minutes ago, daisy-mae said:

because it failed to perform its duties:

After reading the link, I agree there was a failure of some sort.  Whether or not it was the dog's failure isn't as clear to me.

True and even the best trained service dog can get distracted. 

1 hour ago, daisy-mae said:

There is apparently no national standard in Canada either.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5232932/guide-dog-owners-national-standard-service-animal-training-ownership/

One comment that struck me was the fact that "comfort animals" in retail establishments can distract service dogs and cause distress for their owners.

Did you post a different link earlier?  About a child with autism and his dog?   Because now, when I went to re-read the article, it isn't the one I read previously.  And my comment makes no sense 😉

5 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Did you post a different link earlier?  About a child with autism and his dog?   Because now, when I went to re-read the article, it isn't the one I read previously.  And my comment makes no sense 😉

The autism article was a link within the article provided by @daisy-mae. Here's the link if you want to go there directly:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3710485/service-dog-autism-human-rights-ontario/

Sorry VennDiagram. I did post a link very briefly then decided that it was probably not relevant and tried to delete it. However, I was unable to simply remove the entire post so added another, more relevant link instead. 

Sorry for the confusion.

Posted (edited)

Thanks daisy-mae.  For a brief instant I thought I'd hallucinated something 😉

And then, after Fouremco replied, I was wondering if my mouse needed replacement, since I seemed to have clicked through to a different page, unaware!  😱

Edited by VennDiagram

As I read all comments; negative, positive, helpful, caring and even educational, I am reminded of the night that I dropped my medication, I couldn't bend because I had had a spinal spasm that absolutely paralyzed me.  I called to my Service Dog asked him to "get" my bottle of meds and "give" them to me.  If it were not for him I would have died.  He matters in my life, he makes a difference in how I live my life and allows me to be independent and free.

10 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

As I read all comments; negative, positive, helpful, caring and even educational, I am reminded of the night that I dropped my medication, I couldn't bend because I had had a spinal spasm that absolutely paralyzed me.  I called to my Service Dog asked him to "get" my bottle of meds and "give" them to me.  If it were not for him I would have died.  He matters in my life, he makes a difference in how I live my life and allows me to be independent and free.

Yep, Maxy is quickly learning the art of retrieval. Though he still sometimes thinks it’s fun to run away with it, he is a work in progress.

47 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Yep, Maxy is quickly learning the art of retrieval. Though he still sometimes thinks it’s fun to run away with it, he is a work in progress.

I'm sorry, I know it isn't funny to need something and the dog doesn't cooperate, but it made me laugh to picture a happy puppy  thinking he has a new toy. 

There was a study done about cats and dogs and how their interactions with people are different. If you point to something, a dog will look where you point. They'll even look at your face, see where you're looking and follow your line of sight. That's why they're good at fetching things for you. Cats don't do that, so they don't know what you're asking for. 

2 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm sorry, I know it isn't funny to need something and the dog doesn't cooperate, but it made me laugh to picture a happy puppy  thinking he has a new toy. 

There was a study done about cats and dogs and how their interactions with people are different. If you point to something, a dog will look where you point. They'll even look at your face, see where you're looking and follow your line of sight. That's why they're good at fetching things for you. Cats don't do that, so they don't know what you're asking for. 

I learned the hard way a while back that cats and women will do what they please and that, us men, better get used to that concept!

Just now, Copper10-8 said:

I learned the hard way a while back that cats and women will do what they please and that, us men, better get used to that concept!

You're a smart man!!!

22 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Funny thing is, he has been the easiest to train dog I’ve ever had, except for the one thing I really want him to learn which he thinks is just a fun game.

i take the blame, I think I’m going to take some training lessons, I’ve only ever trained basic obedience previously.

21 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

That is true of many dogs but not all.  For example if there are 2 inverted bowls but only one has a treat under it, you can point to that bowl and the dog will understand where the treat is.  But certain breeds (pugs for instance) pointing does no good.  They are clueless just like a cat.  Dogs look to humans for help when they are stymied.  However if there is no human around a dog may look to a cow or other animal thinking it could help them too. There are 200+ breeds of dogs. About 90% of todays breeds are only a couple hundred years old. They were "created" by us with selective breeding in the 1800s. A period known as the "Victorian Explosion."  We forced powerful changes in the dogs evolution. There are only 10 ancient breeds of dogs and most are wolf-like (Akita, Malamute, Siberian Husky, Samoyed, etc)  Those are the dogs helped the nomads spread across continents some 14,000  years ago. There are 10 more breeds that are pretty old.  They date back to around 1,000 BC. Pekingese, Pug, Lhasa Apso, and Shiba Inu  are examples.  All the rest are a result of human meddling. The dog is now the most physically diverse mammal on the planet (but they still behave pretty much the same.)  The reason for the diversity: They have a very simple genetic architecture controlling their physical traits. It is easily manipulated by man. 6 of 7 locations in the dogs entire genome (genetic blueprint) explain 80% of a dogs appearance.  With all other mammals, physical traits are controlled by hundreds if not thousands of complex variations in its genome.

4 minutes ago, Double D Cruisers said:

That is true of many dogs but not all.  For example if there are 2 inverted bowls but only one has a treat under it, you can point to that bowl and the dog will understand where the treat is.  But certain breeds (pugs for instance) pointing does no good.  They are clueless just like a cat.  Dogs look to humans for help when they are stymied.  However if there is no human around a dog may look to a cow or other animal thinking it could help them too. There are 200+ breeds of dogs. About 90% of todays breeds are only a couple hundred years old. They were "created" by us with selective breeding in the 1800s. A period known as the "Victorian Explosion."  We forced powerful changes in the dogs evolution. There are only 10 ancient breeds of dogs and most are wolf-like (Akita, Malamute, Siberian Husky, Samoyed, etc)  Those are the dogs helped the nomads spread across continents some 14,000  years ago. There are 10 more breeds that are pretty old.  They date back to around 1,000 BC. Pekingese, Pug, Lhasa Apso, and Shiba Inu  are examples.  All the rest are a result of human meddling. The dog is now the most physically diverse mammal on the planet (but they still behave pretty much the same.)  The reason for the diversity: They have a very simple genetic architecture controlling their physical traits. It is easily manipulated by man. 6 of 7 locations in the dogs entire genome (genetic blueprint) explain 80% of a dogs appearance.  With all other mammals, physical traits are controlled by hundreds if not thousands of complex variations in its genome.

Thank you for this informative post!  I enjoyed reading it.