Handicap parking at Ft Lauderdale port

hctraveler

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, hctraveler said:

Wondering  about handicap parking at the port or near the port for a Princess cruise in late Oct.  I use a scooter.

Since you are using a scooter you don't actually need a HC spot.  All parking lots, have HC spots in Florida by law.  When you park, just park in one of them, and put up your placard.  They are not free, because being disabled does not change the fact you will be on a cruise.  We use a scooter, and we just park where it is most convenient.  Sometimes in a HC and sometimes, what ever is available. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, hctraveler said:

Wondering  about handicap parking at the port or near the port for a Princess cruise in late Oct.  I use a scooter.

Yes, there is a large garage. You may want to arrive fairly early so that you don't have to go all the way to the top. 

I know your are cruising out of Ft. Lauderdale so you might try what worked for me in Miami.  I called the port office and spoke to a supervisor.  He said that as long as I had a disabled placard and a mobility scooter I could park for free.  I got his name and phone number and will double check with him when our cruise gets closer.  It is worth a try.  If not for free, I think parking in Fll. is $15.00 per day, unless they raised it.  Another option for you, if you live near the pier, (I live in Boynton Beach) we sometimes have a private driver to and from the pier. Just make sure whoever you use has a large enough car our suv to handle all you luggage and scooter. Good Luck!

Thanks. We will be driving in from a long distance.  I thought about hotel parking, but not really that excited about that. (Mainly worried about the pickup following the cruise.  Again thanks for the replies.  I think we will use the port parking.

We've cruised out of FLL for 4 out of the past 5 years and haven't paid for parking.  However, my friend's vehicle is equipped with a lift for her mobility scooter.  I see no reason why handicapped parking should be free for cruisers, but we're happy to save the money.

The Ft. Lauderdale port official website says the following: 

In compliance with Florida Statute 316.1964, parking fees are waived at all Port Everglades lots and garages to disabled persons operating vehicles with ONE of the following qualifications:

• Display a Florida Toll Exemption Permit as explained in Florida Statute 316.1964 (see example below)
  • Vehicle is modified with specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, or foot and hand controls for use by a disabled person (see example below)
  • Display the Disabled Veteran (DV) license plate issued from any state government. The DV license plate must be on the car parked in a Port Everglades lot or garage at the time of your cruise. Florida DV license plates are issued under Florida Statute 320.084 (See example below).