Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
janetmojo

Great Galveston Restaurant?

Recommended Posts

Anyone have a favorite pre-cruise dinner spot?  We like to have a great meal on the night before our trip (kudos if it has great drinks too!)  We are staying at Harbor House next week but have no issues with Ubering etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Rudy & Paco's and Vargas Cut and Catch; same owner.  Both on Post Office and 21 st.  You can walk to both.

Five star dining - must have reservations as they are always booked.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our favorite is the steakhouse in San Luis resort , also nice piano bar next door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Willie G’s right across the pier. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All previous suggestions are spot on-I would go with Vargas if it was me. I thought the service, food and presentation was terrific and the restaurant itself is quite attractive although it can get a little loud in certain areas. Willie G always satisfies and Rudy and Paco annually is  named one of Galveston's top restaurants. It is not for you since you are staying at Harbour House but anyone staying at Moody Gardens should try Shearns located on the hotel's top floor. Never disappoints and after dinner you can go to the bar for live entertainment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2019 at 1:28 PM, George C said:

Our favorite is the steakhouse in San Luis resort , also nice piano bar next door.

Certainly one of Galveston’s best also . 

 

Also Number 13 is in same class as all mentioned . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 1Texansgo said:

All previous suggestions are spot on-I would go with Vargas if it was me. I thought the service, food and presentation was terrific and the restaurant itself is quite attractive although it can get a little loud in certain areas. Willie G always satisfies and Rudy and Paco annually is  named one of Galveston's top restaurants. It is not for you since you are staying at Harbour House but anyone staying at Moody Gardens should try Shearns located on the hotel's top floor. Never disappoints and after dinner you can go to the bar for live entertainment.

We had reservations for shearns and had room booked in moody gardens flight was canceled because of weather luckily we were able to get one in morning so we did not miss our Liberty of the seas , will stay there next time we cruise from Galveston, they have policy that you needed to cancel 24 hours before but did not charge us because of weather.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, George C said:

We had reservations for shearns and had room booked in moody gardens flight was canceled because of weather luckily we were able to get one in morning so we did not miss our Liberty of the seas , will stay there next time we cruise from Galveston, they have policy that you needed to cancel 24 hours before but did not charge us because of weather.

So glad to hear about the flexibility. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Petroplex said:

I enjoyed Olympia's at Pier 21, although Fisherman's Wharf is my favorite. Enjoy your trip!

Olympia is no longer in business ! 

Fisherman's Wharf is not fine dining, but has excellent food and on port waters .

FW is owned by Landry's a major restaurant chain  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, ssb said:

Olympia is no longer in business ! 

Fisherman's Wharf is not fine dining, but has excellent food and on port waters .

FW is owned by Landry's a major restaurant chain  .

Fisherman's Wharf comments are not meant to be negative ! We eat there and at other Landry Restaurants in Galveston ! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ssb said:

Fisherman's Wharf comments are not meant to be negative ! We eat there and at other Landry Restaurants in Galveston ! 

 

 

There are many who wouldn't be offended if your Landry's remarks were negative. Never eat at them as they are generally overpriced so so food, but I give Tillman Fretitta credit for being able to suck money out of a lot of people. He's found the formula.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

There are many who wouldn't be offended if your Landry's remarks were negative. Never eat at them as they are generally overpriced so so food, but I give Tillman Fretitta credit for being able to suck money out of a lot of people. He's found the formula.

Texas Tillie 

Where do you eat in Galveston ? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ssb said:

Olympia is no longer in business ! 

Fisherman's Wharf is not fine dining, but has excellent food and on port waters .

FW is owned by Landry's a major restaurant chain  .

I did not know Olympia's was closed. Thank you very much-- that will save us a stop when we are there this weekend. Has a new restaurant replaced it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ssb said:

Texas Tillie 

Where do you eat in Galveston ? 

 

 

Haven't been in Galveston in years. Don't think I've eaten anywhere there since Gaido's and that was in the 1950s. Might have been there in the 1960s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Petroplex said:

I did not know Olympia's was closed. Thank you very much-- that will save us a stop when we are there this weekend. Has a new restaurant replaced it?

No new restaurant has replaced it . Word on the street is Pappadoux Seafood and or Pappasitos Mexican . 

Edited by ssb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

Haven't been in Galveston in years. Don't think I've eaten anywhere there since Gaido's and that was in the 1950s. Might have been there in the 1960s.

Gaidos is certainly legendary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ssb said:

Gaidos is certainly legendary. 

 

When I was a child in the 50s we'd stay at the Jack Tar and eat at Gaido's. My aunt would babysit with the kids and my parents and grandparents would go to the Balinese Room when Sam Maceo still ran it!

Edited by Texas Tillie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

When I was a child in the 50s we'd stay at the Jack Tar and eat at Gaido's. My aunt would babysit with the kids and my parents and grandparents would go to the Balinese Room when Sam Maceo still ran it!

Like wise my family came to Galveston in 1851 ! Lots of stories !  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ssb said:

Like wise my family came to Galveston in 1851 ! Lots of stories !  

 

I have a great great grandfather who came from Germany (well, Prussia) about that time into Galveston but kept going to Halletsville ( about 2/3 of the way to San Antonio).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Texas Tillie said:

 

I have a great great grandfather who came from Germany (well, Prussia) about that time into Galveston but kept going to Halletsville ( about 2/3 of the way to San Antonio).

If you don't mind me asking , what was last name ?

 

Edited by ssb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ssb said:

If you don't mind me asking , what was last name ?

 

 

He used the name Pepper, but we assume he just changed it when he got here from Pfeffer, the German word for Pepper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/16/2019 at 10:35 PM, Texas Tillie said:

 

He used the name Pepper, but we assume he just changed it when he got here from Pfeffer, the German word for Pepper.

It appears we are probably not related . 

 

Shiner Halletsville area are obviously known for its Shiner Beer . But I photographed sign in New York City . 

 

The Island of Galveston and Texas Hill Country are both wonderful tourist destinations . 

8BA94F57-BF49-4610-87AF-C06B6389A49B.jpeg

Edited by ssb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2019 at 9:07 PM, ssb said:

If you don't mind me asking , what was last name ?

 

 

How about Arnim? We think they came in at Indianola and then went to Hallettsville.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • 2019 Cruisers' Choice Destination Awards
      • Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo invites you to #CrewUpWithWomen
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...