Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
marcc

Another dress code question

Recommended Posts

Hi

 

We are thinking of taking a cruise on the Oceana and were wondering about the rigidity of the formal nights dress code.

North American based cruise lines are moving away from formal nights but I understand that P & O has kept up traditions and formal nights are "dressy".

I don't like wasting luggage space on a suit that I will wear for a total of 8 hours. I prefer to travel with a blazer, tie and flannels. It permits more flexibility as the components can be combined in different ways.

 

Is that acceptable dress for formal night or do they actually insist on a suit?

 

Thanks

 

Marc C.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Technically this would be OK, but you may feel a little out of place given the majority tend to go for dark suits or tuxedos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

Technically this would be OK, but you may feel a little out of place given the majority tend to go for dark suits or tuxedos.

Agreed, I think that pretty well sums it up.

For the benefit of the OP, their are normally 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise and 4 on a 14 day cruise. You could choose to dine in the buffet on formal nights instead of the MDR or the select restaurants but it's a shame to miss out on those venues.

Edited by P-L-B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi M,

 

> I prefer to travel with a blazer, tie and flannels.

 

That would have worked well on The Aurora last year.

 

It's also what I bring.

 

Ira

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, marcc said:

Hi

 

We are thinking of taking a cruise on the Oceana and were wondering about the rigidity of the formal nights dress code.

North American based cruise lines are moving away from formal nights but I understand that P & O has kept up traditions and formal nights are "dressy".

I don't like wasting luggage space on a suit that I will wear for a total of 8 hours. I prefer to travel with a blazer, tie and flannels. It permits more flexibility as the components can be combined in different ways.

 

Is that acceptable dress for formal night or do they actually insist on a suit?

 

Thanks

 

Marc C.

 

 

Not sure that technically meets the 'dark suit' requirement, but sounds perfectly fine to me and I'd be amazed if you had any problems gaining access to the MDR etc. 

 

IMO the rules need to be made more flexible to make it clear that what you're proposing is fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, marcc said:

Hi

 

We are thinking of taking a cruise on the Oceana and were wondering about the rigidity of the formal nights dress code.

North American based cruise lines are moving away from formal nights but I understand that P & O has kept up traditions and formal nights are "dressy".

I don't like wasting luggage space on a suit that I will wear for a total of 8 hours. I prefer to travel with a blazer, tie and flannels. It permits more flexibility as the components can be combined in different ways.

 

Is that acceptable dress for formal night or do they actually insist on a suit?

 

Thanks

 

Marc C.

 

 

Sorry but you may feel out of place on most cruises 90%+ of gents will wear a DJ on some cruises more. The rest will wear a dark suit. 

 

If you are going to carry a jacket and trousers I cannot see why these would not be a DJ or a dark suit. There is no other need for a jacket so you a carrying the same amount of clothes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, daiB said:

Sorry but you may feel out of place on most cruises 90%+ of gents will wear a DJ on some cruises more. The rest will wear a dark suit. 

 

If you are going to carry a jacket and trousers I cannot see why these would not be a DJ or a dark suit. There is no other need for a jacket so you a carrying the same amount of clothes. 

That 90% is probably an overestimate and the number wearing suits is increasing as old habits die out.

 

Whether you feel uncomfortable in your proposed clothing has more to do with you than anyone else. If you’re comfortable in your own skin and not too bothered about silly conventions you’ll be fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When we were last on Arcadia and Aurora late last year on both ships a good 90%+ were dressed in dj/tux/dark suit. I know the larger ships are not so traditional in that aspect. Oceana we have done a week cruise on, a few ago, didn't like it, so can not tell you how many adhered to the dress code.

As stated its how comfortable you are being "different". I am not saying not smart. I think you may be in the minority in your choice. 

Out of interest as you are based in Canada, why are you thinking of alighting on pando. You have said that the formality aspect does not sit well with you. You presumably will have to fly over here anyway..so just wondered why you are not including the  likes of princess line or celebrity etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, the english lady said:

When we were last on Arcadia and Aurora late last year on both ships a good 90%+ were dressed in dj/tux/dark suit. I know the larger ships are not so traditional in that aspect. Oceana we have done a week cruise on, a few ago, didn't like it, so can not tell you how many adhered to the dress code.

As stated its how comfortable you are being "different". I am not saying not smart. I think you may be in the minority in your choice. 

Out of interest as you are based in Canada, why are you thinking of alighting on pando. You have said that the formality aspect does not sit well with you. You presumably will have to fly over here anyway..so just wondered why you are not including the  likes of princess line or celebrity etc.

As it happens EL most of my cruises over the past few years have been on the big ships and my 90% + comes from the fact that after dinner I spend my time in the casino which is in the pub type bar on most ships and I do pay attention to what people wear. Even in this venue there will be very few not in DJ’s. This is of course one of the venues where the dress code is not required.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Out of interest as you are based in Canada, why are you thinking of alighting on pando. You have said that the formality aspect does not sit well with you. You presumably will have to fly over here anyway..so just wondered why you are not including the  likes of princess line or celebrity etc. 

Now that's funny, I saw the word pando and thought, "What in the world does that mean? Isn't Pando some sort of British police car". Took a minute for the penny to drop. Do you actually pronounce it pan-do?

Anyway I digress.

We are interested in the Oceana as it's one of the only cruises that we could find that leaves from Malta and includes visits to ports in the Adriatic.

And I don't object to the formality. I just want to understand what is expected.  Many cruise lines are perfectly happy with a jacket and tie on formal nights even if they say dark suit.

For me, it is just a question of packing as lightly as possible.

In the last five years, on Holland America,  I don't think I've counted 20 dinner jackets worn on formal night . It used to be "de rigueur". Times change. 

   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry Marc sheer laziness n my part..easier to type.

After I posted I thought to myself silly me..she does fly cruises...s probably a cruise that goes to different places. Thank you for explaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is still normal to wear a dinner jacket on formal night on P and O. It is not as you describe on HAL. I did not realise they were like that.  You will see men in dark suits and a few in blazer style jackets.   The exact percentages can be argued about but the vast majority of men on P and O on formal night will be in dinner jackets.  A certain proportion will wear dark suits and a few will be in other things. 

 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like the itinerary but aren't so sold on the formal night dress code, it's worth bearing in mind that on Oceana the evening dress code is only enforced in Magnums, Ligurian and Adriatic restaurants. The dress code for the buffet and the Beach House restaurant is much more relaxed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compared to, say Princess or Celebrity,  the dress code on formal nights is observed much  more on P&O. You could get away with a "formal " blazer,  but you would very much be in the minority.  

We can argue about what percentage dress up until the cows come home, but I would tend to agree with DaiB. My experience is that on formal nights over 70% wear  tuxedos,  with the remainder wearing suits.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wowzz said:

Compared to, say Princess or Celebrity,  the dress code on formal nights is observed much  more on P&O. You could get away with a "formal " blazer,  but you would very much be in the minority.  

We can argue about what percentage dress up until the cows come home, but I would tend to agree with DaiB. My experience is that on formal nights over 70% wear  tuxedos,  with the remainder wearing suits.    

I’d go along with your 70%. That’s been my experience. The blazer will get you in, and if you can cope with a bit of tut tutting from the old diehards you’ll be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, marcc said:

Now that's funny, I saw the word pando and thought, "What in the world does that mean? Isn't Pando some sort of British police car". Took a minute for the penny to drop. Do you actually pronounce it pan-do?

Anyway I digress.

We are interested in the Oceana as it's one of the only cruises that we could find that leaves from Malta and includes visits to ports in the Adriatic.

And I don't object to the formality. I just want to understand what is expected.  Many cruise lines are perfectly happy with a jacket and tie on formal nights even if they say dark suit.

For me, it is just a question of packing as lightly as possible.

In the last five years, on Holland America,  I don't think I've counted 20 dinner jackets worn on formal night . It used to be "de rigueur". Times change. 

   

250040388_FordAngliaPandaPoliceCar.jpg.091440e300b921dfd80a65ff885ff13f.jpg

Panda cars were named after pandas because they were originally painted in large panels of black and white, or blue (usually light blue) and white. This may have been influenced by the black-and-white vehicle colour scheme favoured by North American police forces, which allowed the unambiguous recognition of patrol units as such from a significant distance.

 

Please don’t be put off by some of the comments on here you will be more that welcome on board Oceana she’s a beautiful ship imo.

 

I am sure you will have a great time.

 

BTW,  pando = p and o :classic_smile:

Edited by P-L-B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from Britannia today and since our last cruise on her in October 2017 standards of dress have certainly dropped. There was not as many men in dinner suits as on our previous P&O cruises and more in suits of many colours and some just in sports jackets with ties. Elegant Casual as stated on board was a total joke it seems going against smart dark denim is not adhered too as people were wearing jeans of all types and colours and many wore shorts around the ship in all venues after 6pm (even on formal nights saw men in shorts). This was disappointing for us as we like the formal dress code and think it spoils the atmosphere around the ship in the evenings. There was also some men in the buffet at lunch times wearing just shorts and no top at all which again according to P&O is not acceptable but they were never challenged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not too fussed if people want to wear trendy ripped jeans in the evening or even longer tailored shorts.

 

But the thought of topless, fat, sweaty men in the buffet turns my stomach 🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, majortom10 said:

Sorry but not good in my opinion I dont want to go on a cruise and go for dinner in shorts or scruffy ripped jeans that are only good enough for work jeans and certainly dont want to sit in a buffet with sweaty men with no shirts on.

 

6 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’m not too fussed if people want to wear trendy ripped jeans in the evening or even longer tailored shorts.

 

But the thought of topless, fat, sweaty men in the buffet turns my stomach 🤮

Totally with you both on those issues - I'm all in favour of people dressing appropriately.  Smart casual suits me fine - the sort of thing you'd be expected to wear in a decent hotel or restaurant.

 

My only objection (and it's purely a personal view of course, but we're all entitled to that) is to the rigid enforcement of the DJ/dark suit rule, and it looks very much as if that rigid enforcement is vanishing. Some like it, I accept that. But the number who don't is increasing.  It's all well and good saying 'If you don't like it, don't use P&O' but that doesn't help the P&O bottom line, and ultimately that's what matters to Carnival, which is why the rule's being watered down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience Oceana is the most relaxed P&O ship. Formal night dress code only applies to the two main dining rooms and Magnums champagne bar, everywhere else is evening casual code as it is on non formal evenings. When I used to partake in formal nights I took a navy blue suit as the trousers could be used on other evenings. As you have to fly to Oceana I would expect more relaxed dress because of weight issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, docco said:

 

Totally with you both on those issues - I'm all in favour of people dressing appropriately.  Smart casual suits me fine - the sort of thing you'd be expected to wear in a decent hotel or restaurant.

 

My only objection (and it's purely a personal view of course, but we're all entitled to that) is to the rigid enforcement of the DJ/dark suit rule, and it looks very much as if that rigid enforcement is vanishing. Some like it, I accept that. But the number who don't is increasing.  It's all well and good saying 'If you don't like it, don't use P&O' but that doesn't help the P&O bottom line, and ultimately that's what matters to Carnival, which is why the rule's being watered down.

Rigid enforcement or watered down? It can't be both...

If your objection is to rigid enforcement but it is not being enforced, then you have no objection.

A big attraction for us is to be able to dress up for a couple of nights with people who want to do the same, so if P&O stopped it, our draw to them over other lines would be gone. 

If other passengers did the same, this would affect their bottom line.

We all know the rules and if we don't like it, there is plenty of choice out there.

It is only 2 nights from 7.

Besides, if I didn't fancy it one night, I would choose an alternative, many dine in the buffet every night, these ships are big enough to cater for everyone.

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Rigid enforcement or watered down? It can't be both...

If your objection is to rigid enforcement but it is not being enforced, then you have no objection.

A big attraction for us is to be able to dress up for a couple of nights with people who want to do the same, so if P&O stopped it, our draw to them over other lines would be gone. 

If other passengers did the same, this would affect their bottom line.

We all know the rules and if we don't like it, there is plenty of choice out there.

It is only 2 nights from 7.

Besides, if I didn't fancy it one night, I would choose an alternative, many dine in the buffet every night, these ships are big enough to cater for everyone.

Andy

 

We'll have to agree to differ. And if there were another 'free', serviced dining venue besides the buffet I'd have no problem, but eating in the buffet is wholly unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, docco said:

We'll have to agree to differ. And if there were another 'free', serviced dining venue besides the buffet I'd have no problem, but eating in the buffet is wholly unacceptable.

I am not a buffet fan either, but at least I would have an option or I could pay an extra few quid for the Beach House if I am right in thinking that the dress code is not enforced there?

I do agree that another free dining option might be an answer, but it is only  a couple of nights. 

Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Perhaps they could include a question in the online check-ins as to whether you're likely to be "tuxed" up, and then they can align seating arrangements accordingly?

 

There's no chance I'll ever get dressed up to that level - far too uncomfortable for me - but I'm more than happy to be shoved into an area where on those nights I'm smartly dressed but not to that level.

 

Even suits and jackets are purely the domain of weddings and funerals for me these days, but I fully appreciate those who wish to go the whole hog from time to time.

Edited by BillieJeanKaraokeKing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, BillieJeanKaraokeKing said:

Perhaps they could include a question in the online check-ins as to whether you're likely to be "tuxed" up, and then they can align seating arrangements accordingly?

 

There's no chance I'll ever get dressed up to that level - far too uncomfortable for me - but I'm more than happy to be shoved into an area where on those nights I'm smartly dressed but not to that level.

 

Even suits and jackets are purely the domain of weddings and funerals for me these days, but I fully appreciate those who wish to go the whole hog from time to time.

Excellent idea - seriously. 

 

Two distinct areas of the MDR: one for those who choose formal attire, and one for the smart casuals.

 

Brilliant!  Something for everyone - go for it, P&O. Keep everyone happy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...