Jump to content

What should be changed on the EDGE & APEX


ALWAYS CRUZIN
 Share

Recommended Posts

I have nothing against the wooden horse- rather a nice touch. Maritime touches you will find on EVERY Cunard vessel! Not so much with X- well except for the former Spec. Restaurants on board the Milli- Class- Olympic- Normandie- United States and Ocean- Liners! Those are missed greatly- by me anyway- LOL

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those  great liners are part of tributes on EDGE...

 

I agree that a nautical theme is more common,,,. but EDGE has a curated   high quality art collection.. Only a few items I could not enjoy...but that's art!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2019 at 11:15 PM, Luvcrusn said:

We sailed on Silhouette departing from Ft. Lauderdale the same day Edge sailed her inaugural voyage. Several times during our 12 day cruise we saw Edge at sea. Each time the MC was lit up brightly at night. We commented that it must be awful to have a cabin on that side of the ship. It also didn't look much like a luxury cruise ship, but more like a theme park attraction at sea. 

I was talking to our broker's asst yesterday and she told me she and her fiance were on the Edge in the last couple of months.  They had a mid-ship cabin on the side where the MC isn't <g>.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes Celebrity must be certainly looking for those that do not do regular cruising or want something definitely different. Maybe a different class of people that normally do not do cursing and want them hooked. I wish them well and certainly hope it works out for Celebrity. I am sure it will.  As I mentioned before and not in a bad way. It reminded me of a Vegas Hotel not a cruise liner. We love the nautical theme on ships and will still love our cruising several times a year. Just an example the Royal Serenade of the Seas. In the cabin, notice the blue couch with the white piping. Pictures on the wall behind the bar. The bar stools had rope wrapped around them. Notice the designs on the floor in wood. The blue carpeting. That is what we call a cruise ship.Our opinion only. No, we certainly do not want every ship out there to look like this one. But most all have some sort of a nautical theme to them. Even the buffet.

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

Yes Celebrity must be certainly looking for those that do not do regular cruising or want something definitely different. Maybe a different class of people that normally do not do cursing and want them hooked. I wish them well and certainly hope it works out for Celebrity. I am sure it will.  As I mentioned before and not in a bad way. It reminded me of a Vegas Hotel not a cruise liner. We love the nautical theme on ships and will still love our cruising several times a year. Just an example the Royal Serenade of the Seas. In the cabin, notice the blue couch with the white piping. Pictures on the wall behind the bar. The bar stools had rope wrapped around them. Notice the designs on the floor in wood. The blue carpeting. That is what we call a cruise ship.Our opinion only. No, we certainly do not want every ship out there to look like this one. But most all have some sort of a nautical theme to them. Even the buffet.

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0542.JPG

IMG_0413.JPG

IMG_0502.JPG


We haven't sailed Edge yet (booked for November this year), but I guess then we're people that they are aiming at with the decor. I personally find the nautical theme way too predictable and cheesy, like a throwback to 50 years ago. I would much rather see modern touches and creative artwork than rope wrapped around a bar stool. I'm at sea, I get it. No need to make everything look like a Red Lobster dining room onboard. I think it looks tacky.

Now I will admit I think the neon lights wrapped around the champagne hot tubs on Edge look stupid. It's like something from a honeymoon suite in the Poconos, LOL.

poconos.thumb.jpg.ccde0c1ba25f1f0e66ecee04272c1b11.jpg

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah I have to say, get rid of the orange construction site lift on the side.  It looks hideous. Does it make the ship

unstable in any way?

 

Not sure how everyone discussing it round the conference table at Celeb HQ thought that looked good.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Radiance Class on Royal.....was great then but  would seem dated now if they have not been  refurb and seriously updated. 

 

Much  related to the sea on EDGE..art, some decor etc.  More subtle than Red Lobster!

 

The" Poconos "  Martini  Glasses were up out of the way so they did not distract us ..Wonder if the childen will still be using them as kiddie pools!

 

Edited by hcat
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also why call a new ship ....."the edge"?  Doesn't really describe it does it?  IMHO that is a bit of a cop out.

I'd call it "the floater", I guess that is what it does.

or

The Enchantment of the Wallet

or 

Ship Happens

 

Did they name it after Bono and The Edge?  

Maybe around the conference table back at Celebrity HQ, the meeting to name the ship was so dull

that people were falling asleep trying to come up with a name for the new boat. 

When suddenly Celeb Leader LLP told her marketing director "wake up and mind the edge... of the table"

 

Actually it makes me think of the phrases on edge, edge out, stepping off the edge (Can I have "edging your bets")?

or

Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason,

The City on the Edge of forever.

The Edge of Tomorrow

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Fixit2010 said:

Also why call a new ship ....."the edge"?  Doesn't really describe it does it?  IMHO that is a bit of a cop out.

 

 

 

Maybe they called it that because they thought it has an 'Edge' over other cruise ships

anyway it is only a name - the functionality and features of the ship are far more important that the name

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Muffinz said:

the functionality and features of the ship are far more important that the name

 

 

Yes, which is why it’s a pity they didn’t get that right from the start! I can live with any name, now lack of functionality is something completely different 🙈.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem with the IV Cat is that the only cabin Dark shade is at the end of the Balcony. If one person gets up early and wants to sits on the Balcony and raises the shade, The WHOLE Cabin is flooded with light. No one can sleep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tapemann said:

The problem with the IV Cat is that the only cabin Dark shade is at the end of the Balcony. If one person gets up early and wants to sits on the Balcony and raises the shade, The WHOLE Cabin is flooded with light. No one can sleep.

And hot also

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/19/2019 at 10:10 PM, Germancruiser said:

The Raddiance Class ships are my favorite RCI ships- wonderful natical theme- but the Schooner Bar is trademark with RCI and has the same Maritime theme through all the ships I sailed on!

Thanks. Totally agree. You feel like you are on a SHIP not in a hotel

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall, I enjoyed Edge and was on it for 15 days.  The OVC was nicely done and IMHO an improvement, although I also enjoy S class too since the layout is similar.  Did I like everything Edge...no.  Most of the chairs were not comfortable for me and my 5’1” stature.  My S1 corner aft suite was lacking both size and the round window that I had come to enjoy.  TheRetreat area was quite windy by the pool and upfront, but inside was cozy with a nice, quiet atmosphere.  Overall, I tried not to compare it and find things that I did enjoy onboard.  Obviously, this ship is not for everyone, but I did book an SV for Europe next year.  I think those cabins are done well, and at half the cost of a Sky Suite.  The pricing, IMHO, is very inflated; however, I believe it will come down, especially after APEX and other new ships from different companies fight for customers.  Things change and people either change or find other ships to enjoy.  My glass is always half full, and I remain young at heart and content in my travels...

88C4904D-4EF0-4D77-AF2B-9CB05471EA7A.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Overall, I enjoyed Edge and was on it for 15 days.  The OVC was nicely done and IMHO an improvement, although I also enjoy S class too since the layout is similar.  Did I like everything Edge...no.....

Things change and people either change or find other ships to enjoy.  My glass is always half full, and I remain young at heart and content in my travels...imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377imageproxy.php?img=&key=b5ec9cff05c76377

88C4904D-4EF0-4D77-AF2B-9CB05471EA7A.jpeg

Agreed..!

🌺🌼🌺

Link to comment
Share on other sites

yeah, I don't think they are going to move to a more traditional ship theme for the rest.  I don't think the market they are targeting really cares for that.  There are plenty of other similar class ships (s-class, princess, HAL) that are like that.  I think they are targeting a different niche, and it seems to be working.

 

like an affordable version of this:

https://www.ritzcarltonyachtcollection.com/experience/interior

 

Like it or not, that's what the modern aesthetic trend is going.  the colorful like HAL look is super dated.  The nautical theme is super kitschy since modern cruise ships are eons apart from small sailing ships.

 

PS: look at the dress code too.  times, they are a changin'

Edited by UnorigionalName
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

Different strokes for different folks. No need to condemn what other may like.

Staying that you don't care for something and valid reasons for it is just staying an opinion and not a condemnation. Everyone has different likes and dislikes for various reasons. It makes the world an interesting place.😊

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...