Coffee Card

I noticed there is a coffee purchase option of 2 coffee drinks per day.  Has anyone done this before and do you think it's worth it?  I know it's subjective, but let's say I normally have 1-2 cups of regular coffee a day, but would enjoy some "fancier" coffees.  I know you can't use this for Starbucks, but can you get some pretty good drinks for the $2 price it breaks down to?  Better to buy as you want or do the card? 

I don't understand the "2 coffee drinks per day".

Royal does have a coffee card, and I believe that is a punch card for 15  specialty coffee beverages.  However, some ships punch more than once for single larger size coffee.  It's best to ask about this policy onboard, before you purchase.  You may find that if you like the larger sizes, it's better to buy as you go, rather than getting the coffee card.

Thanks, I guess I did misunderstand.  For our 7 day cruise I broke it down to 2 per day, but I didn't realize that drinks could require multiple punches.  I usually get the small sizes, but this is helpful, thanks!

9 minutes ago, zeppgirl said:

Thanks, I guess I did misunderstand.  For our 7 day cruise I broke it down to 2 per day, but I didn't realize that drinks could require multiple punches.  I usually get the small sizes, but this is helpful, thanks!

As far as I know, Royal does not clearly disclose pre-cruise that one beverage might take multiple punches.  That has been a surprise to some when using the card onboard. 

18 minutes ago, zeppgirl said:

7 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

As far as I know, Royal does not clearly disclose pre-cruise that one beverage might take multiple punches.  That has been a surprise to some when using the card onboard. 

My experience has been what Bob has said. However, if you bring a copy of the page from online that states any beverage, and seek out the beverage manager... my experience is that they have waived the multiple punches. It's annoying... it really is selling one thing, and trying to get away with giving another, once on board. 

On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, not-enough-cruising said:

Also a thought to consider; if you like Frappuccinos, these are usually not permitted with the coffee card.

Just off Symphony and they let me have anything, any size for one punch.  Two previous ships did not allow frappes at all.  The usual inconsistency.

I get coffee cards however I drink iced coffee...I have been at the counter when folks are using their coffee cards for ‘specialty’ coffees...a shot of this, a shot of that...it seems to depend on the ship whether or not you get more than one punch.  Just my observation.

later-Pattie 

On 5/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, Mikew0805 said:

My experience has been what Bob has said. However, if you bring a copy of the page from online that states any beverage, and seek out the beverage manager... my experience is that they have waived the multiple punches. It's annoying... it really is selling one thing, and trying to get away with giving another, once on board. 

I just got off of the Vision transatlantic and had purchased the coffee card. I asked before using if I could get any size for one punch and was told one punch per shot. A medium would be two punches. I went straight to guest services with the printout from the cruise planner stating “any” coffee. After getting nowhere with the guest services, she summoned the mgr of dining services. And after showing him their ad, he refused to budge saying a punch per shot. I then sold their card back to them. 

The moral of the story is to ask first and give them their card back if they won’t comply with their own advertising. 

Edited by HicksRA

1 minute ago, HicksRA said:

I just got off of the Vision transatlantic and had purchased the coffee card. I asked before using if I could get any size for one punch and was told one punch per shot. A medium would be two punches. I went straight to guest services with the printout from the cruise planner stating “any” coffee. After getting nowhere with the guest services, she summoned the mgr of dining services. And after showing him their ad, he refused to budge saying a punch per shot. I then sold their card back to them. 

The moral of the story is to ask first and give them their card back if they won’t comply with their own advertising. 

I will tell ya.. the one time it did not work for me, I used it and kept all the receipts. Then when I got home, I called guest relations, explained to them and offered to send the receipts. I told them I wanted what I spent for the difference in the card and the amount equal to the 15 drinks, which was actually around $45+. They refunded it. One way or the other, I will get what I paid for. 

10 minutes ago, Mikew0805 said:

I will tell ya.. the one time it did not work for me, I used it and kept all the receipts. Then when I got home, I called guest relations, explained to them and offered to send the receipts. I told them I wanted what I spent for the difference in the card and the amount equal to the 15 drinks, which was actually around $45+. They refunded it. One way or the other, I will get what I paid for. 

I’m glad you got some satisfaction but it wasn’t worth the trouble to me. Especially since we’re Diamond and were in a suite so we just got our macchiatos in the suite lounge. 

16 minutes ago, HicksRA said:

I’m glad you got some satisfaction but it wasn’t worth the trouble to me. Especially since we’re Diamond and were in a suite so we just got our macchiatos in the suite lounge. 

That is what I do now, as the espresso machine in the lounge is just fine. The last time I went through this though was on the Majesty, which does not have D Lounge. 😞