Cruise Critic Community
Airrace

Handheld GPS recommendation

Hello

I am looking to purchase a handheld GPS that will work on and off the ship. I would also like to make sure that I can pair it with my iPad.

Thanks in advance 

I use a Garmin handheld GPS that work great. Can't comment the connectivity with iPad, as I don't use an Apple products.

This would give me a larger screen to view and hopefully I can update from my IPad.  I have seen the Garmin has a Bluetooth connect, but don’t know much about it.

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64s handheld. I use it more for having a "tracklog" of where I've been than seeing where I am. I typically leave the GPS running 24/7 on the balcony while on board ship. I carry it with me when out and about on excursions.

I use Garmin's Basecamp and/or ExpertGPS on my laptop or home PC to view on a larger screen. The tracklog is used to "geotag" my photos after I edit them and upload to Flickr which places them on a map for me. All maps needed (usually Open Street Map) are pre-loaded onto the device and, if need be, I can swap out micro SD cards during the trip to accommodate different areas.

1 hour ago, TinCan782 said:

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 64s handheld. I use it more for having a "tracklog" of where I've been than seeing where I am. I typically leave the GPS running 24/7 on the balcony while on board ship. I carry it with me when out and about on excursions.

I use Garmin's Basecamp and/or ExpertGPS on my laptop or home PC to view on a larger screen. The tracklog is used to "geotag" my photos after I edit them and upload to Flickr which places them on a map for me. All maps needed (usually Open Street Map) are pre-loaded onto the device and, if need be, I can swap out micro SD cards during the trip to accommodate different areas.

Thanks

I use a Bad Elf GPS Pro logger.  It works great with an iOS app.  It supposedly will send GPS data over BlueTooth to an Android, but it lacks the full management app that an iOS device will give.  I leave the Bad Elf logging on my balcony while sailing, then take it with me ashore on excursions.  It send GPS data over BlueTooth to my GPS-less iPad in the cabin or to an iPhone.  I use the maps.me app with downloaded map data for off-line mapping software, so I use no internet or cell for map data on a cruise.  When I get home, I can export the KML or GPX tracks to do whatever I want with them (typically onto Google maps and they are shareable that way).  I admit that I haven't used the Bad Elf and iPad for vehicle navigation or routing.  I use it mostly for logging.  The Bad Elf has a functional text display built in, but no graphic mapping display like I assume a typical Garmin would.

5 minutes ago, broberts said:

Does your cell phone not have GPS?

Cell phones have GPS receivers.  My (limited) understanding is that Apple doesn't allow that GPS data stream to be exported to other devices (such as over BT).  iPads sometimes have a GPS - the cellular iPads generally have GPS and the WiFi only iPads generally do not have a GPS.

The Bad Elf GPS is water resistant and can easily be put in a baggie to keep off salt spray.  I also have lanyards that keep anything from blowing away.  Even with that, I am not keen on leaving my cell phone on the balcony railing for any long term sailing.  A cell phone or GPS equipped tablet inside a cabin is likely to have GPS reception issues, YMMV.  The Bad Elf also has much better battery life for long term logging (multiple sea days).