Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Debrad128

Comedy Club Hits new Low

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, Debrad128 said:

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

My family has had this same issue and always chooses to not attend.  However, last year on Allure we attended the Family Comedy show in the last day just to see how it went.  It was the same comedians, but jokes that were appropriate and hilarious.  Just as a Jim Gaffigan or Brian Regan can do it, these guys pulled it off tremendously and I recommend giving the Family show a try. It's not a little kids show, it's just clean jokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, davekathy said:

And yet you sat through the entire show. :classic_rolleyes: Come on, deep down you really enjoyed the show. 😜

I know many men/women who would be to afraid to get up and leave because of fear of being shamed.  I no longer go to the comedy shows but would not be ashamed to call the person out if he/she said something to me as I walked out.  Not their business why I opt out of their show.  Simply don't find vulgarity funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I think the real issue is the difference between the comedy club on Carnival and that on Royal Caribbean. 

 

Royal Caribbean does a lot of things right, but stand up comedy seems to be on area where Royal Caribbean needs to step up their game. I've seen stand up on Carnival and it is very good. Carnival's partnership with George Lopez seems to be paying off.

Being associated with George Lopez is stepping up your game?  I hope RCCL never tries to play in that game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I know many men/women who would be to afraid to get up and leave because of fear of being shamed.  I no longer go to the comedy shows but would not be ashamed to call the person out if he/she said something to me as I walked out.  Not their business why I opt out of their show.  Simply don't find vulgarity funny.

I also wouldn't be intimidated by whoever if I decided to leave a show. Bummer for those that are. No matter the content of the show. We refuse to sit through something we do not like. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MrMarc said:

Being associated with George Lopez is stepping up your game?  I hope RCCL never tries to play in that game.

 

 

Yeah... I think George Lopez would be the new low...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, George C said:

I like sitting at end of a row so I can make a quick exit if I do not like whatever show

Works for me!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only show I really want to see is the comedy club entertainment .

I sometimes miss the other entertainment , but not the comedy club.

Its expected to be vulgar and I can accept that . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, MightyMike said:

I think the real issue is the difference between the comedy club on Carnival and that on Royal Caribbean. 

 

Royal Caribbean does a lot of things right, but stand up comedy seems to be on area where Royal Caribbean needs to step up their game. I've seen stand up on Carnival and it is very good. Carnival's partnership with George Lopez seems to be paying off.

Agree 100%. RCCL is clearly better than Carnival on almost everything but when it comes to comedy (and hamburgers!), there is no comparison. I also agree about the Lopez collaboration. Some here may not like him (politics?) but he is nationally renown, part of one of the most successful stand-up ensemble tours of all-time, and accordingly would be well-networked with top-tier comedians. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Carnival hasnt been associated with George Lopez for 3 years now

Edited by ryano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While we're adults and pretty open-minded...we too have started to see the quality of the Comedy Club entertainment deteriorate on a couple cruises in the past year. Some fall under the "shock jock" category...where they will say almost anything just to get the audience's attention...and rarely is it even funny. We've seen the audience sit there without a reaction, moan, or mumble things under their breath in response to this kind of "performance. We have actually walked out as someone suggested...and we were the 3rd couple to leave in that case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We went to the comedy club in December on Allure.  Every other word was the "F" word.  I get it that it is adult comedy but if you cannot be funny without the "F" word in every sentence, then you are not funny.  We got up and walked out.

 

On Harmony last Sept, we went to the comedy club and it was hilarious.  So it is hit or miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vidsmart said:

Agree 100%. RCCL is clearly better than Carnival on almost everything but when it comes to comedy (and hamburgers!), there is no comparison. I also agree about the Lopez collaboration. Some here may not like him (politics?) but he is nationally renown, part of one of the most successful stand-up ensemble tours of all-time, and accordingly would be well-networked with top-tier comedians. 

But Lopez and Carnival split over a year ago - he's no longer associated with Carnival.  If anything - the comedy program seems to have improved after he left.  It's something Carnival puts a lot of effort into - and it really works.  On those nights that entertainment is thin - at least the comedy club can be counted on for fun!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, olivertexas said:

But Lopez and Carnival split over a year ago - he's no longer associated with Carnival.  If anything - the comedy program seems to have improved after he left.  It's something Carnival puts a lot of effort into - and it really works.  On those nights that entertainment is thin - at least the comedy club can be counted on for fun!

Did not know about the split, thx. I was mainly agreeing with the commenter about Carnival Vs RCCL with regard to comedy, but I also wanted to share a little about Lopez cuz it sounded like a couple of shots taken at him. (Not that he needs my support!)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Debrad128 said:

The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?

Did you check out the QUEST?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MrMarc said:

So who decides the guidelines?   I personally do not enjoy the profanity laced and graphic style of comedy that has become prevalent.  Personally, I do not like it, for example, I like early Robin Williams much better.  But imposing "parameters" is a scary thing.  It was an adult show, so expect "adult" content.  But versions of that particular joke (I didn't hear it, but I am sure of the jest of it) have been around forever.

I find the reference to early Robin Williams a bit amusing.  Around 1983 or 1984, Robin Williams was the headliner for Gator Growl.  For those who don't know, it was a "pep rally" the night before homecoming at the University  of Florida.

 

It took place in the stadium at that time that sat around 72,000 people.  Half alumnae and half students.  I was one of the students.  All of the students loved the show, while many of the alumnae were offended they were expecting Robin Williams of Mork and Mindy and not Robin Williams the stand up comedian.  The next year Gator Growl was hosted by Bob Hope.  Let's just say the students were not impressed as many of his jokes were tired.

 

I do think modern comics may go over the line sometimes  in my opinion, however this is just my opinion.  If I am attending a show where it becomes to uncomfortable, I get up and leave.  If they want to "heckle" me so be it.  It will only take me 5 to 10 seconds to exit the room.  They can then continue with their show, and I can continue with my life somewhere else.

 

In regards to the post that attending a show with just your spouse vs attending a show with spouse along with family members, may make you uncomfortable.  If a show advertised that it has adult content, assume you may be uncomfortable attending the show in the latter situation and DO NOT ATTEND.

 

Different strokes for different folks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gatour said:

find the reference to early Robin Williams a bit amusing.  Around 1983 or 1984, Robin Williams was the headliner for Gator Growl.  For those who don't know, it was a "pep rally" the night before homecoming at the University  of Florida.

 

But as time went by, the F word became every other word and he spent a lot of the show grabbing himself.  Ok, that's an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.    It the same as George Carlin, I liked him much more before he went political.   I don't want to be shocked, grossed out or have my political views reinforced or attacked.  I want to laugh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are lucky enough to have Mark Cordes as your comedian, be sure to see him!  He is very funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love stand-up comedy. But I really dislike when comedians opt for the “easy” laugh via crude jokes. It is just lazy, in my opinion. I love Brian Regan and Jim Gaffigan! They are consistently funny without resorting to base humor. Whenever I hear a comedian relying on jokes about sex or bodily functions, I tend to write them off as sophomoric and not funny. Too bad that this is the type of comedian that RCCL employs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Debrad128 said:

The comedy club is certainly hit or miss.  I understand it is adult, that being said our most

recent sailing was disgusting.  The comedian focused primarily on his need for oral sex, he even 

simulated a person unwilling  performing oral sex.  Am I the only one who doesn't think this is 

funny?  I wish there were some parameters so scheduling this with family and friends isn't a

big gamble in taste level.  

 

Was his name Perry? We saw him on Celebrity (I don't know if he also works on Royal). He has a large following, but I thought he was horrible. Most of his "comedy" was insulting certain passengers. Very rude, but there are people that thinks it funny. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just go to the family comedy show. I'm not a fan of grossly vulgar humor but if I choose to go to the late adult show I should know what to expect. There is usually a disclaimer stating that it is adult humor and if you are easily offended you should not attend.

 

My favorite comedy is situational humor and my favorite comedian is Ellen Degeneres😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't offended by the comedian but I didn't think he was funny. He said F a lot. He made a long running joke about a medical condition. Stuff like that. More shock humor than anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vidsmart said:

Agree 100%. RCCL is clearly better than Carnival on almost everything but when it comes to comedy (and hamburgers!), there is no comparison. I also agree about the Lopez collaboration. Some here may not like him (politics?) but he is nationally renown, part of one of the most successful stand-up ensemble tours of all-time, and accordingly would be well-networked with top-tier comedians. 

 

I just don't find George Lopez funny.  Has nothing to do with his politics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, voyager70 said:

 

I just don't find George Lopez funny.  Has nothing to do with his politics.

 

That’s fair—stand-up is so subjective. I saw him on a show with 4 comedians in 2018 and I found him the 4th funniest! But I can imagine the collaboration with him would be productive given his longevity and high profile and thus the contacts he has. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the "comic" ever harasses you if you get up to leave.  Just explain to them that you figured out you were in the wrong place.  You were looking for the comedy show.  But be sure you leave very quickly after that, you won't want to hear his responses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The absolute FUNNIEST comedian we ever saw (in Vegas) never, ever said a cuss word, or reference sex at all.  This dude (and I wish I could remember his name) was hysterical.  His timing was perfect and it was basic, everyday stuff he made so hilarious.

I'm not a fan of comedians that feel the NEED to cuss or use sex to be funny....it's unneeded.  I'm not a prude by ANY means, but a good comedian can make a cookie funny.!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a 7-day Caribbean cruise for two!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...