Cruise Critic Community
Funatabi

What is HAL's policy on cancelling/modifying pre-paid items (OBC, tours, etc.)?

I have never cruised on HAL and am planning to pre-pay wine packages, OBC,  shore tours, beverage cards.

I have looked all over the HAL website for information about cancelling or reducing

pre-paid items, should I want to cancel/modify them after I buy them.

I can't find anything about this. Before I buy them, I would like to hear other's experiences about this.

Thanks for any input.

I don't know about OBC's, but tours usually have a date by which you can cancel, and it is not uniform.  Some can be cancelled up to 24 hours before; others had to be cancelled, if I recall correctly, within so many days.  You had best call the Excursion desk and inquire as to specific ship excursions.  I would think, however, that if you were before final payment, everything (except insurance) would be refunded.

I have often changed (cancelled and sometimes rebooked) tours, cabana reservations, and dinner reservations booked on-line up until a week before cruising with no problems. Credited to the credit card used for when the tour/cabana/dinner reservation was made. Worst case scenario regarding OBC, the unused portion will be refunded at the end of the cruise since it is refundable OBC.

If you cancel the cruise, everything pre-purchased is immediately refunded.

You have up until 3 days before you sail to cancel.

Never been a problem for tours, dining, wine packages, etc.

I don’t know about OBC though, but I’m sure if you called they would reverse it.

Worse case as has been said, it’s just OBC is refunded on board if it’s not used.

Cancellation policies (and potential cancellation fees) vary according to the excursion and sailing.  

As an example, we're booked on an overnight tour in New Zealand this fall and this was included with our confirmation but there is a lot of info that applies to any tour you book:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Online cancellations will not be accepted during the 3-day period prior to cruise departure. Instead, you will need to cancel once you board the ship. All onboard cancellations are subject to at least a 10% cancellation fee. If you cancel a Signature Collection Shore Excursion within 3 days of sailing, a 100% cancellation fee will apply since transportation and services will have already been arranged with the appropriate Shore Excursion operator. If cancellation occurs onboard after the cancellation deadline for a specific shore excursion, a 100% cancellation fee will apply. The ship's Shore Excursions Office will be able to advise you of the cancellation deadline applicable to each Shore Excursion. Passengers who wish to cancel should visit the Shore Excursions Office upon embarkation. Optional Shore Excursions during the land portion of an Alaska Land+Sea Journey are non-refundable within 3 days of your Land+Sea Journey departure date.

The cancellation policy for Overland Adventures and Overnight Tours is as follows (unless noted otherwise in the tour description): 30 - 60 days before tour date: 25%; 14-29 days before tour date: 50%; Within 14 days of tour: Non Refundable. The 100% cancellation fee will apply here, as it does for Signature Collection Shore Excursions, since transportation and services will have already been arranged with the appropriate Shore Excursion operator.

In the case of online cancellations made by you (which cannot be made during the 3-day period prior to cruise departure) or cancellations made by us more than 3 days prior to cruise departure, we will issue a credit on the credit card that was used to pay for the booking. For all other cancellations (whether by you, Holland America Line or the Shore Excursion operator), a credit will not be given on your credit card. Instead, we will apply an ONBOARD CREDIT ONLY policy under which the refund (less any cancellation fee) will show up as a credit to the shipboard account of the person who was to take the Shore Excursion. If the credit is not fully utilized during the cruise, the balance will be paid to that passenger by the ship's Purser at the end of the voyage.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I am glad to hear.

I am scheduled to cruise on the long GWV. I appreciate the info about tour cancellations.

It's good to know about refunds going to CC or transferring to OBC.

I am having more difficulty with deciding about wine, bev cards, and OBC anyway.

I know that I can buy while onboard too, but wanted to have some items paid before I go so as to avoid going into shell-shock when I the bill on the last day of the cruise.

Just my particular idea about dealing with payments for these extras

We cancelled pre-booked meals and wine packages with no problem

If you cancel a tour after the deadline  for cancellations you will receive a refund if the shore excursion office is able to sell your ticket to someone else.  We cancelled one evening for a tour the next morning.  We were lucky and our tickets were sold within an hour.

The last cruise I went on in April all of my shore excursions had a 10% cancellation fee immediately. That was a first for me.  Usually there is a time cutoff for no penalty.  

On 5/16/2019 at 10:32 AM, Funatabi said:

I am scheduled to cruise on the long GWV. I appreciate the info about tour cancellations.

I am having more difficulty with deciding about wine, bev cards, and OBC anyway.

I know that I can buy while onboard too, but wanted to have some items paid before I go so as to avoid going into shell-shock when I the bill on the last day of the cruise.

Call Ship Services to answer those last few questions. I don’t have their phone number handy but it’s on the HAL website. I called recently to ask about the policy regarding canceling specialty dining and was told that you can cancel onboard (they ask that you cancel 24 hours in advance) and get a full refund which would be a credit on your account and would be credited back to your credit card on the last day of cruise if you don’t use it for something else. I would assume the other items you were concerned about would be treated similarly but best to call them to give you the peace of mind on that. Enjoy your cruise! 

1 hour ago, suzannecruisecritic said:

Call Ship Services to answer those last few questions.

Thanks, I agree that asking HAL too is a good idea, just to make sure.

On 5/16/2019 at 9:32 AM, Funatabi said:

One thing that you can do is buy additional OBC prior to sailing (on our last cruise we purchased $500 of OBC).  That way, you can purchase things like wine packages, beverage cards, tours, etc. while onboard and you will not have a big charge at the end of your cruise.  Plus, if you do not use all of it, it goes back to you as a credit on your credit card on file with HAL.

If you have American Express, watch for a special offer of charging $500 on any cruise (this applies to the above mentioned OBC) and you get a $100 credit on your card.  Not everyone gets this, but we did and bought $500 in OBC (which can be used for almost anything onboard, even gambling), got the $100 back on our Am Ex account and at the end of the cruise had $350 left , so it was credited back to our other charge card (not AM Ex) that we used to pay for the cruise - great deal IMO!