Carnival Horizon Premium Wifi pkg

lele100

Probably a dumb question, but if I purchase the Premium Wifi on the Horizon, can I connect through my laptop?  or does it have to be hand held device?  Also how is the speed from your cabin, we are in a spa cabin deck 12.  Thanks

Yes, you can connect through your laptop.  I had the Premium package on the Horizon when we sailed on that ship (in a Havana cabana on deck 5), and it was super fast.  Faster than any ship I have been on prior.  I know that the Horizon has the upgraded internet, so that's probably why.

I cannot comment on the speed, as I have not been on the Horizon.  I will say that they have the enhanced wifi and others have reported that it is better than what Carnival used to offer.

Yes, you can connect with any wifi compatible device, including laptops.

3 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

User Gettys84 was live-posting from his Horizon cruise last month. He posted a couple of screen shots from wifi speed tests performed on his balcony and was getting 7-8 Mbps.

Do you know if that was his upload or download speed ?

2 hours ago, lele100 said:

Do you know if that was his upload or download speed ?

Download. Here's one of his screen shots...

45516986-446F-4AE8-B843-4371AE2FB46D.png

Carnival officially supports Netflix on Vista, Horizon, & Sunrise. There are things that they say aren't supported, but they actually work, especially on Vista & Horizon with the upgraded wifi. Gettys84 was able to stream a golf tournament on his tablet, I think through the ESPN app. I've seen people say they've used the HBO app. User Saint Greg has said that he was able to watch YouTube videos aboard the Vista in many different locations. The same can more than likely be said for Horizon.

Here's Gettys84's Horizon review if you'd like to check it out. It's a good read: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2652747-currently-on-the-horizon/

9 hours ago, Organized Chaos said:

Download. Here's one of his screen shots...

45516986-446F-4AE8-B843-4371AE2FB46D.png

Carnival officially supports Netflix on Vista, Horizon, & Sunrise. There are things that they say aren't supported, but they actually work, especially on Vista & Horizon with the upgraded wifi. Gettys84 was able to stream a golf tournament on his tablet, I think through the ESPN app. I've seen people say they've used the HBO app. User Saint Greg has said that he was able to watch YouTube videos aboard the Vista in many different locations. The same can more than likely be said for Horizon.

Here's Gettys84's Horizon review if you'd like to check it out. It's a good read: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2652747-currently-on-the-horizon/

Thank you.  I do hope hbo app works I will be on the horizon Saturday and Sunday is finale of game of thrones fingers crossed

9 minutes ago, lele100 said:

I’m sorry I do ha r another question.  Do they leave the log in information in your cabin on the first day?  Thank you

To log in, you simply connect to the wifi.  You will be prompted to enter some information which includes your folio number.  It should register that it is already paid (if you prepaid) or will charge your S&S card the appropriate amount.

30 minutes ago, btyko said:

Is there a list of what ships have the upgraded WiFi?

As of right now, it would be the new ships (Vista, Horizon, Mardi Gras).  I'm not sure about the Sunrise (which is technically not a new ship).  Maybe someone else will know.

Edited by Schoifmom

2 hours ago, btyko said:

Is there a list of what ships have the upgraded WiFi?

1 hour ago, Schoifmom said:

As of right now, it would be the new ships (Vista, Horizon, Mardi Gras).  I'm not sure about the Sunrise (which is technically not a new ship).  Maybe someone else will know.

On the Carnival FAQ's, the Sunrise was recently included as officially supporting Netflix on the Premium plan. The only other two that are Netflix enabled right now are Vista & Horizon. So I assume that means the Sunrise wifi has been upgraded.

They said they were upgrading the entire fleet. I've heard that Dream class ships now have much better wifi service, but I'm not sure if they've done the entire fleet. From what I've read, the Vista and Horizon have wifi access points placed all over the ship. This isn't something that can easily be done on other ships, it's a pretty big job, so even if they have upgraded the service on other ships, I doubt it's as good as the Vista class. Then again, it wouldn't take much to be better than what they had.

Just an update for whomever is interested,   The premium wifi we had on the Horizon was amazing, and Yes were were able to watch the finale of Game of Thrones, almost 1 1/2 hours and no buffering whatsoever 

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 3:53 PM, Organized Chaos said:

From what I've read, the Vista and Horizon have wifi access points placed all over the ship.

Are you talking about wifi access points or internet speed, huge difference. Even if you had wifi access points all over the ship, 1 Mb is 1 Mb, not going to get any faster. 

3 hours ago, coevan said:

Are you talking about wifi access points or internet speed, huge difference. Even if you had wifi access points all over the ship, 1 Mb is 1 Mb, not going to get any faster. 

I'm fully aware of the difference between an access point and speed. I was comparing the service on Vista class ships to the "upgraded" wifi on some (or maybe most/all) of the older ships. Vista & Horizon have access points throughout the ship, greatly increasing signal coverage. But to do that is a pretty big undertaking, so it's not likely that the older ships have been upgraded in the same way. Their network speeds were probably improved, but the lack of access points throughout each ship, compared to Vista class, still means there's going to be areas of low signal and dead zones. Since the Sunrise was in dry dock, it's certainly possible that they added additional access points to go along with the improved speeds.