Cruise Critic Community
Ariyel

Chef's Table by Daniel Boulud - New?

I’m going to try to attach a picture of the menu but I’m not sure if it will work0AE2DBA2-B68C-4DFA-9159-62E1AEF92852.thumb.jpeg.f196e333d2ab2101d61b23d3f08bed41.jpeg

3 minutes ago, rbj287 said:

I’m going to try to attach a picture of the menu but I’m not sure if it will work

It did!  Thank you so much for sharing.  Menu looks great to me, but my step-mom is not going to love some of those dishes - good to know in advance for sure.

When you get a chance, please let us know what you thought of the meal!

Looks amazing - thank you! Interesting that the wine pairings are extra - the way I read it initially that was included. But on reading the description now on the website (could they have changed it?) it is extra. 

Wendy

$210 for that dinner per person with the wine?  If that's the case, I am out. 

OH wow, gotta check on that.  When I initially signed up at $139/person it said the wine was included too.  That's quite an additional price jump.

2 minutes ago, Ariyel said:

OH wow, gotta check on that.  When I initially signed up at $139/person it said the wine was included too.  That's quite an additional price jump.

I’m annoyed I didn’t screenshot it initially. I really thought it was included. May be like Remy on Disney ships that just include the champagne cocktail at the start.

It says additional wine pairings are available for purchase making you think wine is included - interesting to see what happens! 

3362F908-5905-4438-A7AF-C0F09876D838.png

This clearly states that the wine pairing is included. The last line in the description says additional wine pairings are available for purchase. That means if you don’t want the included paring you can choose your own. 

If X does try to charge an additional $60.00 per person; I guess with the Premium Package we can ask the sommelier to select a paring for each course that compliments the dish being served and that would be included. 

1 minute ago, RICCruisers said:

This clearly states that the wine pairing is included. The last line in the description says additional wine pairings are available for purchase. That means if you don’t want the included paring you can choose your own. 

If X does try to charge an additional $60.00 per person; I guess with the Premium Package we can ask the sommelier to select a paring for each course that compliments the dish being served and that would be included. 

Glad it wasn’t me reading it wrongly! Like you I’d prefer to use my Premium package and pay any upcharge for maybe the last champagne and the Cab sav. 

3 hours ago, rbj287 said:

I’m going to try to attach a picture of the menu but I’m not sure if it will work0AE2DBA2-B68C-4DFA-9159-62E1AEF92852.thumb.jpeg.f196e333d2ab2101d61b23d3f08bed41.jpeg

While these dishes sound intriguing to me, alas I don't think they'd be much to my husband's tastes. I've gotten him to expand his palate quite a bit over the years, but only the beef and ribs would excite him here. I think for the price we'll skip it. Thanks very much for sharing the menu so we can make an informed decision!

Sorry I haven't been able to get back here sooner.

Bottom line:  we did not go.  Here's why:

When I made my reservation (through the Captain's Club line) we were told, as indicated, that it was the first night, at 5:30, and wines were included for $139.

When we had no info in our cabin I asked in our dining room (Luminae) and was told it was NOT tonight, but on the 5th nght.  That was fine.

THEN we get a phone call saying it was cancelled completely, would not be held at all that cruise (bermuda, May 19), and the $139 pp would be put back onto our OBC.

THEN we get a phone call the next day saying, it's on,but on the 5th night.  So we found a menu and saw that $60 pp supplement for the wines for the first time.  We went to ask and was told "oh, the $139 is just the food, the wines are $60 extra".  I said "I have a receipt saying the TOTAL price is $139"  "oh no, that's wrong".  

THEN we said "where do we meet at 5:30"?  (we were still going to go).  and they said "Oh no, it starts at 7:00 pm, not 5:30".

So they had the date wrong, the time wrong, and the price wrong.

That just left a really bad taste that this was very disorganized and the left hand had no idea what the right was doing, so we cancelled.

I am so sorry that happened to you. I’m not surprised that it wasn’t held on the first night but that is no excuse for all the other mistakes. I really feel they should grandfather the wines for those of us that have already paid. 

Interestingly I’ve been following somebody on Eclipse at the moment and they added a photo of the Luminae menu and that includes some Daniel Boulad specialities.

Hope the rest of your cruise has been good!

Wendy. 

Posted (edited)

This is annoying, I have just booked this, and when I booked it did say 'paired with wines' Im sure! Now I can see the small print at the bottom 'wine pairings are available at additional cost...'   on the plus side, we have a drink package so we will of course be able to get wine, but perhaps not the fine wines we were expecting to be included.

From now on feel I need to screen shot everything just in case! Have just read menu and feel its better to just do Muranos, and choose from the regular menu, this is not floating my boat!

Edited by louise1809

Posted (edited)
On 5/22/2019 at 1:09 PM, rbj287 said:

Thanks so much for posting the menu.  While these dishes sound good, it is far from what I would expect for $139 per person.  To me this is not worth it.  Especially if wine pairings are an additional $60.  We'll stick with Fine Cut and the main dining rooms on the Edge.

Edited by cricketgirl

The regular Murano menu has many more wonderful dishes on it (so much so, we usually need to go twice to taste them all) highlights for us previously were Goats Cheese Souffle, Crepe Balon dessert, Filet Mignon entree, lamb cutlets entree, and the experience is usually superb too, I think having a recipe book and a photo is just a gimmicky frill that we can live without.

Thanks for sharing the menu and the heads up about your experience! Sorry it didnt work out.    

Likewise the menu looks good but 200 total with wine pairings not worth it   Like others I ll go to Murano and work with the sommelier on wines.  I know enough that I can figure it out but fun discussing it.   

Warmwinds, are you enjoying the cruise?  I hope you are pleased with Cesar as your butler

I cancelled - it would have been $500 for two or more with tips, and as has been pointed out to me, you would have had his menu, but not his chefs, and on day 5 not the freshest food. Just not worth it for this NYer who could have the real thing in his restaurant with a bigger menu for less.  My guess is there will be limited interest at this price point, but for whoever goes, I hope it is wonderfully memorable. 

As someone who occasionally splurges $500+ per/person for a meal, the price for that menu is insane.

All of this info is good to know.  I signed up for it on the June 8 Equinox sailing...may cancel based on all of this.  It's currently showing as 5:30 on that first night, and I was assuming the wine was included.

I definitely thought the wine pairings were included too.  This is definitely making me reconsider and I was really excited for the addition of a Chef's Table experience.  Thanks to everyone who has added info to this thread!

22 hours ago, goldsmip115 said:

Warmwinds, are you enjoying the cruise?  I hope you are pleased with Cesar as your butler

Yes!  The cruise has been great, Cesar is wonderful, most of the Hoppen things I thought I would hate have turned out to be not as bad as I feared...will do a full report when we're home and settled.  But as a note to you...the ugly wooden chairs on the veranda were STILL there and but were switched out IMMEDIATELY after explaining our disappointment - I honestly can't believe the last couple of cruisers (or all the cruisers since dry dock) were willing to put up with them.  

We are  sailing on the Equinox on 17 August and have decided to wait for someone to post their experience on the ship before making reservations. I was just on the Celebrity app and notice that there are 2 Chef's Tables listed -- one at Tuscan and one at Murano. (I realize that it is early yet and that might change.) The Chef's Table at Murano states it is on day 4. There is no day listed for the one at Tuscan. It does say that the "onboard dining price is per person, food only, an 18% will be automatically added to the guest check". Additional write-up speaks to the wine pairing and honestly makes it sound like it is included, however, then it says "additional prices apply". We have lots of OBC to use but $200 is just too much for the menu previously posted. We're not huge Murano fans but we'd rather spend our OBC there and be able to choose from the menu.

Posted (edited)

Just read this thread and can not believe the price for that menu. It really does not appeal to us at all and just seems an obscene amount of money to charge for a meal. The fact that the drinks are not included makes the cost even more incredible. Would prefer to save the money and use it for our pre cruise stay in Rome where we can eat some 'proper', delicious home cooked food for a fraction of that price.

Edited by Presto2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Just read this thread and can not believe the price for that menu. It really does not appeal to us at all and just seems an obscene amount of money to charge for a meal. The fact that the drinks are not included makes the cost even more incredible. Would prefer to save the money and use it for our pre cruise stay in Rome where we can eat some 'proper', delicious home cooked food for a fraction of that price.

Got to agree with you on that one.  I think my main hang up is if Carnival can do a 12 course fantastic experience (with drinks) for $95pp, why is Celebrity charging over $250pp for a 5 course meal.

insanity