Anthem of the Seas - Status Update

Status update for anyone sailing on Anthem of the Seas departing Saturday May 18th. I am on the current sailing and we were just informed by the captain we are headed to Nassau due to a medical emergency. Our planned arrival time in Nassau is 1AM. The captain also advised this will impact our arrival back in Bayonne NJ, but at this time he is not able to tell us how late our arrival will be. He said he will update us later today or early tomorrow.

• Like 1

Any news from anyone on board? RCLs call center has been useless with providing an ETA into Bayonne. Guessing they will have to offer some kind of update on her status to passengers sailing on May 18 relatively soon. Seems they are waiting until the last second to do so though. If she’s making flank speed I still don’t see how she could arrive into NJ anywhere near the scheduled time. Some people are estimating Sat evening. 

Let us know if you hear anything! 

All we have been told is the Captain is in contact with multiple land based staff.  We left Nassau around 3am and if the map on the TV is accurate we are currently near Port Canaveral. So my very rough estimate is we have about 800 nautical miles to reach Bayonne. We are doing 22KN so that would put us in Bayonne sometime in the late evening Saturday. 

900 miles out, traveling 23kts (25mph).  The math suggests a vert late arrival.  Steward said we had additional complication that we would overlap with another ship, suggesting logistical conflicts.  Would be nice if RC would officially update us!

• Like 1

Oh dear this is sounding like the NCL Breakaway departure we had last October from Manhattan... due in 10am and arrived 9pm, due to sail 4pm and we departed 6am!  Thousands of people were hanging out in the terminal buildings all day!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

Oh dear this is sounding like the NCL Breakaway departure we had last October from Manhattan... due in 10am and arrived 9pm, due to sail 4pm and we departed 6am!  Thousands of people were hanging out in the terminal buildings all day!

Ironically that was the last cruise I was on! My wife and I still suffer PTSD from the way NCL handled that! (And because of this lead to us not sailing with them for our next cruise which is this one) Let everyone board, denied any changes to itinerary then right before the ship pulled anchor announced the changes. A lot of unhappy folks on that sailing. Took the wind out of our sails as well so to speak. Ugh. Wish RCL would provide an update and not pull an NCL.

Edited by dslucas
Added info

In our case we had to skip out first port from the late departure.  Anthem is next on a 5 day Bermuda. The good news is if Anthem can sail by 2am and push her speed up a little to 22kt she would get to Bermuda at 9am - on time.  So if delayed further it isn't awful.

I am trying to find out what the port conflict would be.... that might be quite a jumble.

And here's hoping RCL handles a late sailing better than NCL.... and you don't have a muster drill at 2 or 3am.  That was simply horrible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Relaxinginthesun said:

The captain just informed us we will arrive in Cape Liberty early morning Sunday.  The May 18th cruise will be shortened by a day and they will also be delayed in embarking until sometime Sunday afternoon. 

I'm so sad - hopefully RCCL emails us on the 18th soon!

Just now, dslucas said:

Brutal. We lose a day in Bermuda. Any chance of a partial refund??

I should hope we get a partial refund since we are boarding a day late.  I also have the UDP, Bev Pkg, Internet etc so I am hoping those are taken care of as well.  Also my excursion for the first day of Bermuda ....  

This happened to us on the Explorer out of Bayonne several years ago.  Also a day late.  10 days became 9. 15% refund as obc, understand they put people who flew in up in hotels and covered expenses.  We were told 2 days in advance as they had that much notice.

I just heard after they clear the ship by 9 and then they have to move so Celeb can dock - then Anthem will come back for us to board - so it may not be until late afternoon for the May 18th sailing ---- so we are likely missing almost 2 DAYS of a 5 day cruise

15 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I just heard after they clear the ship by 9 and then they have to move so Celeb can dock - then Anthem will come back for us to board - so it may not be until late afternoon for the May 18th sailing ---- so we are likely missing almost 2 DAYS of a 5 day cruise

Yes it is the Celebrity Summits normal turn around day. So after we disembark Anthem will be leaving the pier.  Once Summit leaves Anthem will return and begin embarkation sometime between 3-4pm 

• Thanks 1

Oh no, we are only doing this shirt cruise because my husband has a long-anticipated tee time at Port Royale golf course on Monday. We left South Florida this morning, sitting in the Atlanta airport awaiting our flight to EWR New Jersey.