Safe Choices in Main Dining Room/Specialty Restaurants

EntrechatatSea

Dear Cruise Experts,

We need your sage advice.  Haven't cruised Celebrity since 1998.  We were on the Galaxy and the food was really good.  Have been reading reviews of the decline of food and am worried so I would like to know if there are some safe choices.  There must some reliable choices in the main dining room and also is Tuscan Grille worth the money spent.  Has anyone had the branzino?  

We depart on the 24th and hope to have your advice to guide us,

I think as other threads on this topic have shown what is considered good quality is entirely subjective!  As other threads have suggested I think - the safest option if you find something not to your taste is to raise the issue immediately and staff will do everything they can to resolve it.

My personal (and entirely subjective) experience has been that items from the "favorites" side - the ones that don't change daily, tend to be of a lower standard.  I have my favourites of course - and my own pet hates - but they are my taste and not necessarily universal.  I do like tuscan grill and would certainly recommend eating there.  DH likes the Branzino so I have tried it.  It isn't to my personal taste but in my view competently prepared. The other thing that is fairly consistent is the Indian food selection offered in the cafe.  In my experience that is actually really good!

• Thanks 1

We found the soups in the dining room to be consistently well done. There is at least one offered per night. 

I don’t think you need to worry about ordering something you don’t like - because if you don’t like it, order something else, or go to the buffet after for some pizza! It’s a good chance to try something new with no risk!

3 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

Always ask your server for his or her recommendation.  They will steer you toward the best choices 

Excellent suggestion.  I agree.  😊

You can always get something else.  I usually order 2 of the choices overall.  I just get the proteins if there is a chicken and or a beef choice I get both, just not all the sides on the two.  There have been things I didn't like but always other options and quick and easy to switch out overall. 

Although we find the MDR food to be pretty good, we eat mainly at Murano for a few reasons:

1. Staff is top-notch

2. Food is well above average

3. If you go often, they get to know you and you get perks from the kitchen and bar

4. The noise level is so much lower

5. You're not forced to deal with people who are either drunk or unpleasant to be around

We dont go every night because we'll try to eat local food during a port stop. If you're looking to meet new people, it's not the place to go to. Tables are laid out in a traditional upscale restaurant format that is not conducive to cross-table chatter. Otherwise, we love it and will be back there in November.

In my experience, you need to set you expectations properly. If you're expecting high end dining in the MDR you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting Olive Garden at Sea, you'll be happy.

The MDR is a very large venue. They are making a ton of food for the masses and serving it very quickly to turn the tables. X has reduced or kept the cost per person for food very low. The result is very average food.

8 hours ago, EntrechatatSea said:

Dear Cruise Experts,

We need your sage advice.  Haven't cruised Celebrity since 1998.

Perhaps, if you shared what you like to eat at home people can give you some suggestions.

For what its worth, we cruised on the Equinox this past January, the last time before that on X was 18 years ago. I can tell you as fact, that it is a much different experience. As you, we knew going in of the MDR changes. If you have ever cruised Carnival, it is now more similar than different between the two. That includes food quality, table proximity and the number of staff.

IMO the best way to be assured of a decent meal in the MDR is to keep in mind that everything there is prepared banquet-style, in large quantities, and then held at serving temp for a long while or quickly reheated. By choosing dishes that do not suffer (or in some cases even benefit) from this type of preparation, you are more likely to get good meals. Also, never be afraid to send something back or ask for a different dish if you receive something not to your liking.

As for Tuscan, meals are cooked to order so it will really depend upon the quality of a given cut of meat and the skill of the cook who happens to be cooking it that night. Again, send it back if it's not to your liking. 

Thank you all for your advice, I really do appreciate your input. 

We both remember the soups fondly and I am happy to hear they are still good. I will ask the server for recommendations and I will make a reservation for dinner in Tuscan Grille but wish our ship had Murano instead.  Both of us like almost every type of food including different cuisines from around the globe, we just want it prepared correctly. My expectations are not very high as I live in downtown Seattle two blocks from Pike Place and I know I am supremely spoiled with all the wonderful food and restaurants.   

My son and I cruised Ruby Princess last year and the food in the main dining room was horrible.  Share was amazing and their burger bar was good as well.  Also, their pizza was wonderful, thin crust Italian style.

I am confident that we will enjoy our cruise and find some items to our liking.

4 hours ago, CRZR58 said:

In my experience, you need to set you expectations properly. If you're expecting high end dining in the MDR you're going to be disappointed. If you're expecting Olive Garden at Sea, you'll be happy.

X2.  I think this says it best.  Food is generally decent but not a culinary experience by any means.   

9 hours ago, Texed said:

Excellent suggestion.  I agree.  😊

After all, they see what gets returned to the kitchen, barely touched.

My take is the 'fresh sheet' or daily spotlight specialty items are the "pride" of the chef. Presentation and taste reflect on a more personal level. That said, I've never had a bad meal in Blu. Qsine has been our worst experience, YMMV.