Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
teacherman

Global Entry Process Time????

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, fredflint said:

The Global Entry card picture is really poor, I assume it is due to the low quality camera they use for the picture.

I think by law pictures for drivers licenses, passports and global entry cards have to be ugly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife and I both applied on-line on April 20.  She received approval in about 4 weeks.  I am still waiting.  There appears to be no logic to any of this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teacherman said:

My wife and I both applied on-line on April 20.  She received approval in about 4 weeks.  I am still waiting.  There appears to be no logic to any of this.

🤣

You're dealing with the United States government. Your expectations are too high 😜

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, teacherman said:

My wife and I both applied on-line on April 20.  She received approval in about 4 weeks.  I am still waiting.  There appears to be no logic to any of this.

When my application process seemed to get hung up after the interview, I contacted CBP.  There is a place to do that on your dashboard.  They told me the problem and how to resolve it and the next day I was approved, off and running!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We returned from France last week and customs at JFK was chaotic.  We have had Pre Check for years and even though I renewed it recently I still applied for Global Entry on August 1st.  I received my conditional approval last night, August 5th, and scheduled the interview for the earliest I could get in NYC which was September 19th.  Much better than I expected.  

 

How long does it take to get your GE card after the interview?  We have another trip in October and would like to avoid the chaos again at JFK when we return.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DH and I got our GE card in the mail 3 days after our interview.  Our interview was in GE office in the building near FLL.  Not at the airport.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, I like vacation said:

How long does it take to get your GE card after the interview?  

The card is unnecessary for travel.  You will receive your KTN at the interview.  It will be linked (internally) to your passport number.  When you use a GE kiosk, you slide/swipe your passport...when the kiosk recognizes it you then insert your fingers for verification that you are you.  (at least that was how it worked the last time we did it).  

Once you have your KTN, you enter it into whatever airlines accounts that you have.  No card is involved.

The card is a convenience.  We keep ours in our passports, just in case.  If you renew your passport be sure to update your GE profile with the new number.

As for the card....it took less than a week to receive ours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were told 6 years ago when we received our Global Entry cards we would only need to show them when traveling into Canada. However we had to show them at Port Everglades after cruising. So it is a good idea to have it with you. Also when traveling to New Zealand there was a separate line for Global Entry and we needed the card. Never could figure out why NZ honored it but was happy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bbtondo said:

DH and I got our GE card in the mail 3 days after our interview.  Our interview was in GE office in the building near FLL.  Not at the airport.

 

 

 I did my interview there too and got an email the same day with my KTN, but they never sent me a GE card. Don't need it for flying, but it would've been useful occasionally when cruising. Maybe I'll get one when I renew next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I "think" I found the place on the web site to send an email concerning my long wait and asking for any help that could be offered.  After I sent it, I got a message saying it could be answered within 10-15 business days.  Who designed this system?

When they started Pre check and GE, they thought a certain number of people would sign up, which would lessen wait times at airports.  I do not believe they have come close to hitting their predicted number of applicants.  No wonder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teacherman said:

I "think" I found the place on the web site to send an email concerning my long wait and asking for any help that could be offered.  After I sent it, I got a message saying it could be answered within 10-15 business days.  Who designed this system?

When they started Pre check and GE, they thought a certain number of people would sign up, which would lessen wait times at airports.  I do not believe they have come close to hitting their predicted number of applicants.  No wonder.

Have you had your interview?   If so, the hold up might be at the enrollment center.  They may not have closed out your file properly and a phone call to them will solve the problem.   

 

If you haven't had your interview and you're waiting for conditional approval, then I have no idea what the hold up could be.  But, it is good that you sent the email.  I sent one for my holdup and did get a response quicker than 10-15 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After I applied online for GE I waited for an email regarding scheduling an interview.  I then realized I had to log into my GE online account and that was where there was a link to schedule an interview.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, jollyjones said:

 I did my interview there too and got an email the same day with my KTN, but they never sent me a GE card. Don't need it for flying, but it would've been useful occasionally when cruising. Maybe I'll get one when I renew next year.

 

I see you live in Bermuda.  Could that be why?  Also, you don't get an email into your personal email account with your KTN number.  Did you mean after you logged into your GE account page you received the letter there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/7/2019 at 7:56 AM, thinfool said:

The card is unnecessary for travel.  You will receive your KTN at the interview.  It will be linked (internally) to your passport number.  When you use a GE kiosk, you slide/swipe your passport...when the kiosk recognizes it you then insert your fingers for verification that you are you.  (at least that was how it worked the last time we did it).  

Once you have your KTN, you enter it into whatever airlines accounts that you have.  No card is involved.

The card is a convenience.  We keep ours in our passports, just in case.  If you renew your passport be sure to update your GE profile with the new number.

As for the card....it took less than a week to receive ours.


While you are fundamentally correct that it is uneccessary for travel, I was glad that I had mine with me last November.  I was in Dublin clearing US CBP and their kiosks were not working.  Those who had their GE card could still use the GE line.  The rest had to go wait in the regular line.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I received an email response.  I have read it several times and even had my wife read it.  They tell me that my "situation" could be resolved in 3 to 8 weeks.  Or, I think they tell me to actually call the CBP centers near to my home.  I don't really understand the email, but I will persevere.  Maybe some CBP agent will take pity on an old man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, bbtondo said:

 

I see you live in Bermuda.  Could that be why?  Also, you don't get an email into your personal email account with your KTN number.  Did you mean after you logged into your GE account page you received the letter there?

Quite possibly because I'm overseas. Happens to other things too - for instance sometimes I get my Admiral's Club card, sometimes I don't.

And yes, I absolutely did get an email to my ordinary personal account with an attached pdf letter showing my approval and KTN (which I printed out and carry with me, but it's not accepted like a card), but this was 2016 before they completely changed the website and who you deal with - it went from CBP to DHS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Glory Be.  After emailing the CBP and asking for assistance, within one week I have received an email telling me to check "my application status" on the web site.  I am now conditionally approved and my wife and I can schedule our interviews.  We can go to DTW, but think we will go to downtown Detroit and also have a nice lunch.  ONE QUESTION:  on the original application, it said to list ALL of the countries you have visited in the last 5 years.  I do not know if I got all of them, as I cannot remember exactly where we went on all of our cruises.  Will this be a problem?  Should I just tell them that I did the best I could?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, teacherman said:

Well, Glory Be.  After emailing the CBP and asking for assistance, within one week I have received an email telling me to check "my application status" on the web site.  I am now conditionally approved and my wife and I can schedule our interviews.  We can go to DTW, but think we will go to downtown Detroit and also have a nice lunch.  ONE QUESTION:  on the original application, it said to list ALL of the countries you have visited in the last 5 years.  I do not know if I got all of them, as I cannot remember exactly where we went on all of our cruises.  Will this be a problem?  Should I just tell them that I did the best I could?

I forgot to include Canada and it was no problem.  Just tell the officer if you remember a country later.  

 

Glad you finally had some movement.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Today, we had our "interviews".  We drove to the CBP office at the Ambassador Bridge Detroit crossing from the USA to Canada.  When we went into the room, there were 5 CBP officers next to each other at a counter.  My wife and I were called at the same time.  We were each asked about 5 questions-name, address, phone number, e-mail address, if ever arrested, etc.

 

They then took our pictures and fingerprints.  My prints were difficult for the scanner to read.

I told the officer the countries visited on the application were incorrect and that I had an updated list.  He said "don't worry about it."  We were approved and given a little booklet that he wrote our Known Traveler Numbers in.  They said we would receive our cards in about 10 days.  The "interview" lasted approximately 5 minutes.

 

I am only reporting this because I started this thread.  It took 5 months from the application day until today.  Thanks to those of you who told me to contact them about the delay, or we could still be waiting.  AND, we did have a nice lunch afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, teacherman said:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Today, we had our "interviews".  We drove to the CBP office at the Ambassador Bridge Detroit crossing from the USA to Canada.  When we went into the room, there were 5 CBP officers next to each other at a counter.  My wife and I were called at the same time.  We were each asked about 5 questions-name, address, phone number, e-mail address, if ever arrested, etc.

 

They then took our pictures and fingerprints.  My prints were difficult for the scanner to read.

I told the officer the countries visited on the application were incorrect and that I had an updated list.  He said "don't worry about it."  We were approved and given a little booklet that he wrote our Known Traveler Numbers in.  They said we would receive our cards in about 10 days.  The "interview" lasted approximately 5 minutes.

 

I am only reporting this because I started this thread.  It took 5 months from the application day until today.  Thanks to those of you who told me to contact them about the delay, or we could still be waiting.  AND, we did have a nice lunch afterwards.

Given the cost of short term parking at DTW, the Ambassador Bridge office, with it’s free parking, is a good alternative (and the savings can be put towards lunch).  They also had a hard time getting my fingerprints.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...