Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
LizardBeth

Included Perks offer

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

What are your thoughts on the Perks that Celebrity is offering?  Is it a good deal?  You can receive NO perks, 2 Perks, or take all 4.

We're planning a 12-day cruise and it would be convenient to have some of this, but is it worth it?  There's a $960 difference between the basic cruise fee w/no perks and one with all 4 perks.   The price difference between basic cruise fee w/2 perks is $500.

 

Classic Beverage Package  ($59 x 12) = $708/person

Unlimited WiFi ????   (Does anyone know what the charge is?)

Paid Gratuities  $180/person

$300 on board spending ($150/person)

 

So, the way I figure it $708 + $180 + $150 = $1038 plus the WiFi fee.

 

Did I miss anything?  I will definitely need the gratuities, how much will I really drink, WiFi is always good since I'll be away from home for 3 weeks, and I can always spend $300 on photos or fancier drinks. 

 

Your feedback would be most helpful!

Thanks!  -Lizardbeth

Edited by LizardBeth
misspellings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, for a start, I think the Take all 4 includes the PREMIUM drinks package, which is $10 per day (plus grats) more than the classic ($144 for your cruise). You did, of course, forget to add the gratuities to your calculations ( $59x12 + 20% = $849.60).

 

The internet package price varies depending on the offer and the cruise length. For our 7-nighter to Alaska in AUgust, it's $249 for unlimited on one device (currently on sale for $199), so you can count at the very least, a $200 cost. I hesitate to say 'value' as it's something I've always felt I could live without for a week and loved being 'unplugged' for that time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For cruises 10 days or longer gratuities is the best choice.

 

You also need to price the no perks option and to see how much you are actually paying for the free perks.

For my Silhouette TA it would have cost me $1100 for $750 in perks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is all about the math.  On our upcoming 11 night cruise after figuring in the gratuities it worked out to $200 per person for the drink package which isworth it to us.  So for our two perks we chose gratuities and drink package.  Since then the prices of adding on the perks have risen significantly.  We got lucky.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is "it worth it" is basically the value you find in it.  For us, unless it's a really good price then no.  We don't drink much, I don't need the internet but DH does, depends on how long the cruise is if the gratuities are worth it and the obc well it's just that.

 

Celebrity is counting on you to price all the perks out separately at face value and compare it to the additional fare and say I'm getting a deal.  It's only a good deal if you both need internet, both can drink $59 or $69/day each without gratuities, use the $300 obc for something you would purchase anyway and not just to use it and the cost of gratuities for your sailing.

 

Just because that is what Celebrity values it at, that's not what I value it at.  Everyone is different and spends their money on a cruise differently.  What's important to one might differ from the next person.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only perk I put any value on is the gratuities. We're Elite Plus so we each get 240 minutes of internet per cruise, which we almost never use of it. The obc is worthless as we can't find anything of value to spend it on. We aren't big drinkers so the two hours of free drinks, for loyalty hours, more than suffices, and we refuse to change our drinking habits just to get our moneys worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like all the perks, especially premium drinks that comes with the 4 perks. 

I find it is still a good value. I drink alcohol and my husband doesn’t - but he is good for 4-6 high end  waters, 3 fancy coffees and a smoothie every day. Maybe a soda at dinner. That adds up too. 

I drink a one cocktail at linch, plus 2-3 glasses of wine through dinner and show, plus many waters, 1 soda and coffee through the day.  Cheap wine or liquor gives me a headache - so premium package level spirits are a must. We easily would meet 125$a day in liquids, often more. 

 

I doubt we spend the value of the package each day, but it beats having a 700+ $$ bar tab to settle at the end of the cruise., it’s a bit easier for us to swallow the cost it’s built in. 

 

Obc - we always get massages so all OBC is used. 

 

Tips of course we would pay. 

 

Internet we we could technically go without, but it is nice to have as we have kids at home with their grandparents. We can FaceTime them, etc. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LizardBeth said:

  I will definitely need the gratuities, how much will I really drink, WiFi is always good since I'll be away from home for 3 weeks, and I can always spend $300 on photos or fancier drinks. 

 

 

Go for the 4 perks............as they say, YOLO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like many said it’s how you value things.  Personally I like not having to worry about the costs when on board.  Drinks can add up quickly especially multiple coffee ones at the cafe. The internet is the only one not important since I get my free minutes from elite plus also.  I might check email once a day but that’s about it.  In all I rather not get a huge bill at end of cruise , which I did when I didn’t do the drink package one time and even though when I added it up later it was a little less tocme I like paying up front. It’s perception in all.  I also do the same with the obc and end up buying a dinner package for 5-6 nights especially on 11 day plus cruises.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

One difference that may or may not be important to you......I believe the no perks price has a non-refundable deposit.  The 2 and 4 perks deposits are fully refundable before final payment is due.

 

Personally, we never book non-refundable fares...too much changes in our family's lives to book something six or more months out or we find something we'd rather do....so we don't even look at Celebrity's no perk price at this point unless it's a last minute deal.

 

If you want to put a value on "refundable", when celebrity offered the option of refundable or non-refundable fares, the difference in price was $300pp more for refundable.

Edited by ghstudio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am by no means an expert, but I have had good luck booking with US cruise companies who offer better prices/perks than Celebrity itself.  It would be curious to see what you could get included and the pricing compared to Celebrity directly.  I'm not sure how to name company names as I know there are limits to what can be said on this site.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow!  Thanks everyone!!  I did not realize the 4 perks was the Premium package, that's a bonus for my mom because she loves her fancy water.  We definitely enjoy our wine and cocktails in the evening and our fancy coffees throughout the day.  Thanks everyone for your feedback!  YOLO!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something worth mentioning is that with the classic package you may order a premium drink and just pay the difference.  For instance the classic amount is for cocktails up to $9.  If you order an $11 dollar cocktail you pay the difference of $2 plus 20% tip on the $2.  We use to upgrade our classic package to premium but for US when we did the math it was less for us to just pay the difference.  IF you do decide to go forward with the premium package, specify your premium liquor when ordering.  Do not assume that they are using the premium liquor just because you have the premium account.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on the price differences which vary greatly from sailing to sailing.  Yours looks fairly close.

 

On one of our upcoming, not so much.  We only book group prices which come with no perks.  To add the 4 perks would take the fare from around $3000 to $6200 for a 14 day cruise.  $3200 for tips (OK), $300 OBC (likely not used) Internet (we get ~500 minutes free) and booze/coffee/water (which we might get $20-30 per day value since we are Elite +) About the dumbest value on the planet if we took the 4 perks.

 

Everyone's experience/usage/value will differ greatly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

With the 4 perks-- question is how/where would you use that OBC? Laundry? Specialty dining?

Internet-- consider will you REALLY use it?  We just sailed 14 days and DH used the 'net for biz... yes painfully slow for downloads.  I don't think I used it more than once or twice if at all...

Prem bev is great if you drink cocktails/wine with dinner and premium brands of both alc and non-alcohol

Only thing to add to the above advice is to check your OBC cal.

I think it is $150 for 2...

not 2 people at $150 (300) -- however I could be wrong

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghstudio said:

One difference that may or may not be important to you......I believe the no perks price has a non-refundable deposit.  The 2 and 4 perks deposits are fully refundable before final payment is due.

 

Personally, we never book non-refundable fares...too much changes in our family's lives to book something six or more months out or we find something we'd rather do....so we don't even look at Celebrity's no perk price at this point unless it's a last minute deal.

 

If you want to put a value on "refundable", when celebrity offered the option of refundable or non-refundable fares, the difference in price was $300pp more for refundable.

Booked atFuture Cruises so put $200 down. They wanted $317 extra to protect the $200.  Sometimes the numbers work, sometimes they don't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did the 2 option and was able to upgrade to the premium drink package for just me on a 7 day cruise for $84 ($10 per day +20%)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i believe the no perks price has a non-refundable deposit.  

 

I have not read Celebrity's non-refundable deposit T&C's....but fair warning...I have seen offers from some cruise lines (that includes river cruise lines) over the years where you are liable for the full normal deposit, not just the lower deposit you paid on a special promotion.  I'd check that out before booking a low deposit non-refundable fare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Everyhours said:

I just did the 2 option and was able to upgrade to the premium drink package for just me on a 7 day cruise for $84 ($10 per day +20%)

How did you get the 20% off the drink package?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2019 at 8:58 PM, Orator said:

For cruises 10 days or longer gratuities is the best choice.

 

You also need to price the no perks option and to see how much you are actually paying for the free perks.

For my Silhouette TA it would have cost me $1100 for $750 in perks. 

When we get offered a choice of a few perks we never take the gratuities because you can have these removed once on ship then tip individually if you wish  throughout the cruise. This then opens up other options

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, ECCruise said:

It all depends on the price differences which vary greatly from sailing to sailing.  Yours looks fairly close.

 

On one of our upcoming, not so much.  We only book group prices which come with no perks.  To add the 4 perks would take the fare from around $3000 to $6200 for a 14 day cruise.  $3200 for tips (OK), $300 OBC (likely not used) Internet (we get ~500 minutes free) and booze/coffee/water (which we might get $20-30 per day value since we are Elite +) About the dumbest value on the planet if we took the 4 perks.

 

Everyone's experience/usage/value will differ greatly.

Not True some group prices come with the 2 perks now.  I booked a S/A cruise for my Aunt and SIL, when I 1st booked it I knew that the re positioning cruises didn't come with perks so I didn't look into any perks at all for them(back with go BBB).  They also booked on the $25 deposit sales which negates going into a group (deposit must be paid in full).  One day I called celebrity to changed cabins for them and for s#@ts n giggles I just asked them, finger in my dimple, does the group rated come with perks?  She said yep, they come with the current offer.  Im like whaaaaaat?  Not only was the group priced cheaper than the NRD but you can choose any 2 perks, I was floored.  So of course, I called them both and said you need to come up with the $900 deposit so we can move you into the group.  They obviously did.

 

Since then the price has gotten even more crazy.  Check it out, They booked the CC cabin for $1899 plus 2 perks.  They originally booked 1b's for the same price with no perks. (back on Go BBB).  Here's the screen shots now, total price for each is in the top left.

1011171038_SAEclipse2perks.thumb.jpg.3669acec0a40a33bbc4d58fd34281747.jpg1608724712_Eclipsegroup.thumb.jpg.c1e09a59e6e5fca2f22e990f81f5afbc.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our online travel agent is having a big Memorial Day sale and for kicks we priced a Sky Suite on the Equinox, for seven days. You could get it with all four perks or none. The cost for the perks was $360 p.p. ($720 per couple). The only thing of interest is the gratuities. Being Elite Plus, we each get 250 internet minutes which we hardly ever use them all. we also get the daily drinks and specialty coffees so a drink package makes no sense. Because of the high costs of just about everything on the ship, we spend $0 on board so the obc has no value. We would get $600 in refundable obc from the ta so if we take the gratuities out of that, the leftover cash drops our total cost about $348. In our case, it would be a no brainer to skip the perks. It’s not a deal if it’s you don’t want/need in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

Our online travel agent is having a big Memorial Day sale and for kicks we priced a Sky Suite on the Equinox, for seven days. You could get it with all four perks or none. The cost for the perks was $360 p.p. ($720 per couple). The only thing of interest is the gratuities. Being Elite Plus, we each get 250 internet minutes which we hardly ever use them all. we also get the daily drinks and specialty coffees so a drink package makes no sense. Because of the high costs of just about everything on the ship, we spend $0 on board so the obc has no value. We would get $600 in refundable obc from the ta so if we take the gratuities out of that, the leftover cash drops our total cost about $348. In our case, it would be a no brainer to skip the perks. It’s not a deal if it’s you don’t want/need in the first place.

Each of us have to evaluate what works best obviously. Not everyone is Elite, Elite +, or Zenith, nor does everyone sail in a suite which also allows for access to Michaels Club or the new Suite Retreat area, so the drinks package (which we all know includes more than alcohol) has increased value to many. For those who choose to use their OBC for specialty dining, spa treatments, shore excursions, shopping etc., the option of two perks has value. Incidentally, we use the same TA😉 We often spend the OBC that comes from X and pocket the OBC from the TA. You're right, that it's only a deal if we want or enjoy the options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...