Belgian chocolate

I remember Godiva used to offer extra packaging for posting, which I think was bubble wrap and a polystyrene outside box, but I don't know if they still do.

Ballotins, or standard Belgian chocolate boxes, are a specific oblong or slightly trapezoid shape, and tend not to have extra packaging inside. I find that if the layers are separated by card rather than paper, then that seems to help with transport. Alternatively, some chocolatiers offer limited editions in tins. Leonidas has Asterix and Neuhaus has Smurfs at the moment.

• Like 1

How much chocolate are we talking about? Where are you flying from? Are you flying from Brussels? Where are you flying to?

I've done both. You're on the borderline in June, and it may well depend on where you're going. Brussels will "probably" be OK.

My general rule: Mary's for me: In carry-on always. Leonidas for friends: Carry-on if it fits, but I'm not too worried about checked bag. If you're flying out of Brussels and don't mind pre-packed boxes, there's a pretty good selection in the US bound terminal's duty free. If you really want to experience Belgian chocolate and pick your own, you'll have to do that downtown.

• Like 1

We were in Brussels last July and brought home chocolate in our checked luggage. I put it in the middle of the clothes. Ours all travelled fine, none melted or broke. They are delicious, and looking forward to buying more this summer at our cruise stops in Belgium. Neuhaus was our favorite, but they really were all delicious.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, markeb said:

How much chocolate are we talking about? Where are you flying from? Are you flying from Brussels? Where are you flying to?

I've done both. You're on the borderline in June, and it may well depend on where you're going. Brussels will "probably" be OK.

My general rule: Mary's for me: In carry-on always. Leonidas for friends: Carry-on if it fits, but I'm not too worried about checked bag. If you're flying out of Brussels and don't mind pre-packed boxes, there's a pretty good selection in the US bound terminal's duty free. If you really want to experience Belgian chocolate and pick your own, you'll have to do that downtown.

Just a box or two I think! I've never had it before. What are the prices like?

Brussels is an early stop on the cruise. I'll be flying home to Ohio from Rome, and it will actually be July by then.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tkruise said:

Brussels is an early stop on the cruise. I'll be flying home to Ohio from Rome, and it will actually be July by then.

I would worry about holding on to chocolate that long if the weather is hot. Chocolate should be kept in a cool place, but not in a fridge.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tkruise said:

Has anyone brought home chocolate from Belgium? Is it safe in checked luggage or would it be a big melted mess? I'll be there in June!

We have packed chocolates (including Belgian) in our checked luggage many times in all seasons. Never had a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tkruise said:

You'll be fine! The prices aren't anything crazy, IMO. We bought several pieces for ourselves, and then some smaller bags of mixed chocolates for friends and family. And Bruges was our first stop on an 8 night cruise. Plus, we stayed in the UK another 6 days. We had no problems.

4 hours ago, Tkruise said:

Prices vary. Figure €8-10 for a 250 gm (1/2 pound) box from Leonidas, and €25-30 for one of higher end specialty shops like Mary's.or Elisabeth. If you're buying for yourself, and continuing on the cruise, just make sure you put one away and out of sight, or the weather on the trip won't be a problem...😀

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, markeb said:

Prices vary. Figure €8-10 for a 250 gm (1/2 pound) box from Leonidas, and €25-30 for one of higher end specialty shops like Mary's.or Elisabeth. If you're buying for yourself, and continuing on the cruise, just make sure you put one away and out of sight, or the weather on the trip won't be a problem...😀

Lol... so true. I was going to have to eat it all by the end of the cruise if you all told me it would melt. Now I have to try and save a box for home!

• Like 1

I brought home A LOT of chocolate,  but from France, awhile ago. I probably did not put it in my checked bag and at the time I did NOT know that the chocolatier, Maurice Bernachon of Lyon, ultimately decided that air travel would be detrimental to the taste of his chocolates and stopped permitting them to be imported and sold at Takashimaya in NYC....when there was a Takashimaya in NYC. For a brief while, it was glorious to have perhaps even sub-par Maurice Bernachon chocolates available here. Pricey but far less so than requiring a trip to Lyon!

And yes, they are so far better than anything Belgian I have had and I have made a bit of an amateur study of chocolates in various countries and while they do differ, many offer up some incredibly spectacular confections that rival or even exceed the Belgians. 

FYI, the Bernachon boxes were not even 'substantial' not all of it was even in proper boxes, and it was mid-June by the time I flew back with them. Everything was just fine, I made sure I managed it as the precious cargo that it was 😉

Yes, I am a chocolate snob. Only a few folks got this as a present, but I did bring back other nice chocolates as presents too. The non-chocolate snobs wouldn't get it though I certainly shared to see if they got it. Most didn't. Yay, more for me!

(I don't even think it's sold in Paris, but maybe? But should you be in Lyon, it is conveniently located right next door to Michelin 3 star chef Paul Bocuse's place, not at all by coincidence) 

2 hours ago, Tkruise said:

I won't be in Lyon, but will be in LeHavre/Paris and Nice. Maybe I need to buy some in each country and start my own research. 😁

For comprehensive research, you also need to go to Zurich and buy chocolate at Sprungli.  OMG.  :classic_smile:

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, kctwinmommy said:

We brought a lot home 2 years ago, in July. Pretty sure I just put it on my carry on though. And now you're making me want Belgian chocolate again!! LOL! We went to Dumon, sooo... good!

We have brought chocolate home twice to Canada from Bruges.  Both times from Dumon chocolates which are a family owned business and once were talked about in a Rick Steves book.  Both times we put in our checked luggage and they arrived to western Canada after a couple of weeks of cruising in perfect shape.  While on the cruise ship we put them in the 'cooler' in our cabin.  Oh so good and perfect gifts for those looking after the house at home.