Booking dining slots on Journey

HiroPro

We will be on Journey in a month and I notice that I am not able to reserve any of my dining until I get on board.  It seems like this would mean that everyone would be lining up to find out what to do as soon as they board.  Can someone tell me what the process is for booking dining as early as possible and maybe provide some tips for the best way to avoid a line?

I am interested in buying a dining package like “Chef’s table plus 4”, but I don’t want to buy it if I can’t get desirable time slots.

Thanks for any tips you can provide!

Most of the time you do stand in line waiting your turn. In general the booking table in the buffet  area.at times it has been somewhere else. I would suggest standing in  line ASAP.  As I like to eat late I just go by at some point. If you need to eat early you should wait inline. 

We usually board as early as possible, getting to the terminal just before the earliest boarding time. Once onboard we go straight up to Deck 9 to make our dinner bookings. We’ve rarely had more than 1 person in front of us at that time.

You buy the package at the bookings table and don’t have to commit to a package until you have looked at the available dates/times. They will also know when other events such as White Night are too.

Yesterday was very popular then. You would have had several in front of you!

You really can’t generalise, itinerary, guest make up, length of cruise etc etc affects availability. 

So book the first day and if you can be flexible on days and times so much the better 

We’re not able to get to the ship super early.  Although the thought of immediately getting in line to book a dining package (before we even get a chance to explore the ship) is not very appealing, I’m planning on it.  If reservations are all full by the time they get to me, is there any ability to just walk up to the maitre d without a reservation and get seated?  In the alternative, can we purchase the 3 meals for $70 plan without firm reserved dates?

I do not believe you can purchase the plan preboarding   There are no walk ups if the restaurant is full. However they will do all they can to fit you in beforehand