Cruise Critic Community
Usuallyrightagain

RC Anthem of the Seas - Water wars....

3 minutes ago, SeaScout said:

$39 for water?? That alone gives some insight on whether or not we'll book on RCI.  I understand a small upcharge but that is just plain gouging in my opinion.  

Curious, what is the price on Carnival?

14 minutes ago, Usuallyrightagain said:

and the people in front of us at boarding had their pack of water bottles confiscated.

Now I'm confused. Above , it was posted that 

"Royal allows you to carry on 12 factory sealed containers of non-alcoholic beverages per stateroom, each no larger than 500ml."

If it is allowed, why did those people have their pack of water bottles confiscated?  

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Curious, what is the price on Carnival?

$4.50 for a 12 pack of 16 oz. bottles of Dasani. Delivered to your cabin. You can order in advance or order from room service also I believe. 

1 minute ago, SeaScout said:

"Royal allows you to carry on 12 factory sealed containers of non-alcoholic beverages per stateroom, each no larger than 500ml."

If it is allowed, why did those people have their pack of water bottles confiscated?  

They didn’t, unless they were over the limit allowed or had substituted contraband for the water. 

5 minutes ago, SeaScout said:

$4.50 for a 12 pack of 16 oz. bottles of Dasani. Delivered to your cabin. You can order in advance or order from room service also I believe. 

Can’t argue with that 

I just looked at my cruise planner. The bottles were 1L each. On Amazon, that same 12-1L case goes for $13.68.

Not sure if the price is inflated even more sure to my cruise being a Med cruise later this summer. 🤷🏽‍♀️

6A624199-2076-4A21-9AA9-5D1160C5F94A.jpeg

5 hours ago, Usuallyrightagain said:

We just got home today from our 9 night (actually 10 night, given the evacuation of a passenger) eastern Caribbean cruise.  This was our family's first ever cruise vacation.  Having got up before 6AM I now sit at my computer feeling thoroughly tired and slightly seasick, with a strange swaying going on inside my head!

One of the things that most irritated me on this cruise, and that I just mentioned in my RC survey is the water situation.  And I thought maybe people here can shed some light on it, or me giving my thoughts might help someone else considering their first cruise.

We don't drink soda much if at all.  And we're not fancy coffee people.  So we decided to eschew the beverage package.  Given the plastic situation being terrible for the environment and oceans we also decided that purchasing a pack of water bottles was not a great idea either.  So we brought our refillable water bottles with us on board and hoped for the best.

Now, it turns out there are plenty of places to get water.  However, most of them have the attached sign on them ("Important Health Advisory - Don't refill bottles here").  Assume this means that if you put something that you've been drinking out of previously underneath the machine, loads of germs might reverse-rapel (reverse-abseil) out of the bottle and into the machine, spreading 'flu to all and sundry.  However.... if you purchase the beverage package the entire way it works seems to involve you putting the massive cup you've been drinking out of previously underneath the machine and filling it.  And that's totally allowed.  So what's the difference?

I genuinely can't see why they have these signs.  It irked me so much.  They actually added the signs to a couple of machines that didn't have them when we first boarded (seaplex hot dog stand, sorrento's soda machine) so this is something they are currently doing.  How can people refilling bottles be any less healthy than people refilling the RC cups?  

Struggling to see the connection between the "Save the Waves" pledge and refusing to let people refill bottles....  Why can't they have a Brita refill station like our elementary school does?  Or one spigot for refilling bottles?  All my questions just come back to answer: to sell bottled water.

For what it's worth we just got cups, filled them with water multiple times and tipped them into our bottles.  We all have Contigo bottles with large openings and the spouts completely unscrew, so nothing that touched our mouths was remotely near anything on a machine or cup.

We had such a good time in Puerto Rico that we plan to go there for our next vacation, but might cruise again with RC after that, but only if they can call a truce on the water war...

3 hours ago, gerif said:

I’ve always drunk the ship’s water. Don’t need to use a disposable cup to fill your own bottle, just use a glass. OP is making something so simple sound so difficult. While he is might be careful about not letting his own bottle spout touch the dispenser, we have all witnessed cruisers (especially in the WJ) who appear to have been raised in a barn and can’t seem to grasp basic hygiene, thus the need for signs. 

2 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There wouldn’t be a cup to throw away, it would be a reusable plastic or glass tumbler. 

Its not a design flaw in the machine at all, as long as people place their vessel (Yeti, Tervis or what have you) on the tray and pressed the water button to fill. 

The problem with BOTTLES is they have a smaller opening to line up with the spout and inevitably people raise the small neck bottle up to the fill spout thus increasing the likelihood of cross contamination. 

I dont understand why this is a difficult concept to grasp for some. 

29 minutes ago, Usuallyrightagain said:

Yes. Not very "save the waves" to create 24 pieces of plastic bottle trash though, is it?

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I used the Freestyle and regular water dispensers. I still think they are missing a trick pretending that it would be unclean to put a water bottle In the machine. They could sell wide neck bottles in the store and in boarding area that would work better than something like a Swell bottle would.

Those who said I clearly don’t understand the concept, thanks, but I think I do. And I think discussing it and mentioning on here might help others. I actually saw a load of people who didn’t know how to work the freestyle machines, and the people in front of us at boarding had their pack of water bottles confiscated.  It would be handy if RC could get on board (boom, boom!) with a way to get plain old tap water to passengers who want it, without them needing to dirty the dining cups tipping water into reuseable bottles.

thanks again for the replies.

@Usuallyrightagain - you state that this was your very first cruise.  As such, I feel that you don't truly understand the fierce emphasis on sanitary practices.  You have thousands of people in a confined environment.  Hygiene is paramount.  Your harping on "but we are good and conscientious and clean people" doesn't fly.  EVERYONE has to be conscientious in order for proper sanitation to be maintained.  Please understand this.  No one is trying to force you to buy anything.  You are merely being asked to comply with rules that aim to keep everyone healthy and happy.

1 hour ago, SeaScout said:

$39 for water?? That alone gives some insight on whether or not we'll book on RCI.  I understand a small upcharge but that is just plain gouging in my opinion.  

Yet, notice what Evian spelled backwards is.....

It also depends on when this happened - the 12 bottle allowance only started about 6  months ago.

18 minutes ago, A2Mich said:

Yet, notice what Evian spelled backwards is.....

Yep... But to pay Royal Caribbean's price for a case of water it goes beyond being naive.

My guess is whoever was at the security check didn't know the policy.

OP correct me if I am wrong.   I think that the point that you were making is that there is no difference in terms of being sanitary, whether you use your open ended cup or the one that Royal gives to the passengers to use for the freestyle machine. I don't think some are making that connection. 

You can also go to ANY bar or eating venue and ask for ice water.  There's really no need to carry it around with you, as it's so readily available.  No package needed.

44 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Yep... But to pay Royal Caribbean's price for a case of water it goes beyond being naive.

True, but calling their water “Enasni” wouldn’t have quite the same ring to it.

In terms of the plastic bottles, I'd predict that within the next 12 months, they will go from plastic to aluminum bottled for the water.  I've seen that some Celebrity cruises are already doing that, and given it's the same company....  So that makes the bottles a lot easier to recycle.

As for refilling- yea, the risk of spreading germs via a touch is enough to ban the practice.  But it's also easy to follow as well as fill your bottle- they have cups next to all water.  So fill two up, use those to fill your water, and done.  We've done that suggestion in the past, and there's nothing wrong with it- you get to be BOTH sanitary AND good for the environment.  

Finally, if you want the cheapest of the cheap ways to bring on water- get a gallon.  We've bought whole gallon bottles of drinking water to carry on board.  To avoid boarding problems, we do that at one of the ports- and have not once had a problem bringing them on.  And if they do- it's a mere $2 penalty (for most cheap bottles of drinking water).

I totally understand and accept people who don't want to cruise because of the issue, you have to do what works best for you.  But there are solutions.

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

This is what's showing in my cruise planner for the Anthem in June.

Screen Shot 2019-05-19 at 4.38.35 PM.png

For $39 it better have flecks of gold floating in it.

1 minute ago, Snit13 said:

For $39 it better have flecks of gold floating in it.

It's spring water not mineral water so no chance of that.  Maybe it's from the fountain of youth. 

4 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There is ”plain old tap water” in the sink in your room

Exactly what I do.  1qt. Nalgene bottle (carried on empty of course) then filled using the water from the sink in the room.  Not that difficult, you avoid the possible germ contamination from folks that don't obey the sign and you don't have to wait in line.  Granted - it's not ICE water, but it's at least hydration.

Norwegian also has outrageous prices for bottled water delivered to your room.  All the people that buy the bottled water - do they avoid drinking water in the dining venues, do they avoid ice, do they avoid fountain soda entirely?  All those are the same water that comes from the tap in the bathroom and considering it's "made" in the treatment plant on board (in the case of most newer ships) it's probably better than the water served up through the water system in most municipalities in the US.

Before we became Diamond members, I always refilled our water bottles in the cabin bathroom sink then put the water bottles in the fridge. Wha La.....cold water. Now that we are Diamond Plus, we can get all the bottled water we need from the cruise line.