Requesting DIY Excursions in Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman

mithuri

Hi;

Instead of booking cruise line or private excursions, we would like to venture on our own close to the ports (Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman).  

If you have done something similar, can you please share your DIY itinerary or recommend something similar?

Thanks

• Like 1

For Cozumel we really enjoyed Nachi Cocum if you want a relaxing beach day.  Mr. Sanchos is another more lively place to go.  They are right beside each other and you can just walk out of port and get a taxi easily.

• Like 1

We did Paradise Beach in Cozumel (by taxi)  Captain Marvins in Grand Cayman and Phil Lafayette to Dunns River Falls and river tubing in Ocho Rios...I recommend all of them.

On a side note...if you like to bake...make sure to stop at Los Sincos Sol in Cozumel and grab a bottle of vanilla....It is amazing!!!! They also have other great gifts...but this is my favorite thing to grab there!

We booked our own, in Cozumel,  when we got off the ship with a vendor outside the port area.  We were looking for a Jeep/dune buggy tour.  We started talking to a very nice, non-pushy gentleman from Wild Tours.  We did a dune buggy tour, stopped at their compound (saw rescued animals, held parrots, owls, etc, saw a white gator; saw some Mayan Ruins, etc), we stopped at a real beach bar for lunch on the beach, and then toured the whole island, at least the part that is accessible to the public.  It was great!  One of the most fun excursion that we have ever done on a cruise. 

In Grand Caymen we took a taxi to 7-mile island, and spent a beautiful day at the beach!!

Hi Essiesmom, Mallow, richbum, WashCoCruisers, Butterbean1000

Thank-you for helping this 'rookie' cruiser with your suggestions - Much appreciated!

All of your suggestions are very helpful (especially the 'Vanilla' tip 🙂 )

• Like 1

FYI, all the Cozumel beaches mentioned are or can be all inclusive. You can just pay a fee for chair and umbrella. We don't eat and drink $55 per person and do not do the A.I.  We might have a taco and a couple of beers ala carte

Cozumel -- snorkel party boat with Tiger (message him on FB) or take a taxi to Chankanaab Park

Grand Cayman -- safe and affordable to book on the pier, variety of providers offering a snorkel trip including Stingray City (GC is one of the few places I don't hesitate to walk up and book on the pier, vendors are often willing to make a deal)

On 5/19/2019 at 10:44 PM, mithuri said:

Hi;

Instead of booking cruise line or private excursions, we would like to venture on our own close to the ports (Ocho Rios, Cozumel and Grand Cayman).  

If you have done something similar, can you please share your DIY itinerary or recommend something similar?

Thanks

Have you looked at https://cozumelcruiseexcursions.com/ they have tours in Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Ocho RIos. We have used them many time, really happy with their tours and the prices

We rented a car in Cozumel, toured the island.  Stopped a few times.  Great day.

We have done both in Cayman.  First time did a private  boat tour, got dropped at seven mile beach after, then took the local bus back to town.   Second time we rented a car and toured the island on our own.

Edited by iancal

For Cozumel, Nachi Cocom is our beach of choice. You need to book it in advance on line, as they only take 130 people a day. If there are a lot of ships in port, there probably won't be a vacancy. It is $55/day for adults - plus the taxi ride there. 

Nachi is great if you want quiet and peaceful; the food is good, the service is excellent and I am told the drinks are on the weak side [don't drink, so I don't know!]. Extras include massages, jet skis, banana boats and snorkeling, all of which they will be glad to arrange for you for a price! While there are kids there, they really tend to cater to adults - no kid toys, no loud music If you want more action, Mr. Sanchos is probably a better bet. 

Check out resort for a day for Ocho Rios hotel day passes, there are both family friendly and adult only resorts listed.  

Cozumel has lots of beach clubs, Nachi and Mr Sanchos already mentioned, as well as Paradise and Playa Mia.

GC has Royal Palms or the public 7 mile beach.

Both Coz and GC have good shopping areas as well, GC just walk from the pier, Coz take a $7 or 8 taxi into town (San Miguel).

Thank-you all for providing so much information.

At the risk of sounding paranoid, is it safe to venture into town (San Miguel, Cozumel) using a taxi?  I'm with wife and teenage daughter.  From other posts in the forum, others have indicated that taxi drivers in Cozumel can be 'aggressive'.

Thank-you!

Absolutely safe using a licensed taxi to either San Miguel or any of the beach clubs.  Depending on which port you dock at in Coz, you may not even need a cab to get to town.

One pier (punta langosta?) docks in town, while the other pier is a 10 minute drive away down a straight road that parallels the shoreline.  There is a taxi station at this pier and fares for destinations are posted.  I would just confirm the fare with the driver prior to getting into his cab.

That may let you know how much English the driver understands.  If you can speak some tourist phrases in Spanish, it would be very helpful.

The shop keepers and tour operators in town will call to you "to have a look" since evrything is "almost free".  I find it's better to go away from the main drag, a block or 2 inland, especially near the town square.  Have an open mind, smile, and enjoy!

Edited by evandbob

We have never felt unsafe in Cozumel, or for that matter in any area.  So much so that we are considering a month of independent travel in Mexico as part of our winter escape from the snow and cold weather.