Just off the Magic 8 day, Any Questions?

thesmiths

We were on the same sailing as the Smiths!  We did Random Wind Catamaran in St. Maarten.  Cannot recommend them highly enough.  It was by far the best we have been on.  In St. Kits we did Spectrum ATV Tour.  The ATV tour was good, but just not my "cup of tea".  Great Cruise, the wait staff, cabin staff and front desk staff were all awesome.

Some of the musical groups on board were really good, the Latin duo in the Plaza and Monkeys Feet were my favorites.

I agree embarkation was so easy we were on board before 11 as Diamond.  Debark was slower because we checked our bags.  Probably around 9 ish for groups 1 thru 16.  I think there were way more self assist than I have ever seen.

If you have the Global Entry Card, it is a piece of cake and no line through Customs and Emigration.

Thank you for all the great info. I am finally getting down t only Puerto Plata/Amber Cover now for excursion. Any suggestions!

The info on Grand Turk was great - we are doing a 2 hr snorkel there. Golf cars sound a little too expensive for 2people, but I may regret not renting one.

The pdf's of the Fun Times are also great - thanks again.

Just to clarify - the 2 specialty restaurants are the Steakhouse and the Italian. I know we will go to the Steakhouse for sure. How was the Italian one and how much was it? Are those the only 2 specialty?

Besides them, the buffet and dining room, pizza, Guy;s Burgers, Mongolian Wok - what other options for dining are there with no charge or are there any more? Long lines or Guy's? 

Our plane arrives at 9:30 am - will we be able to board early - we have transfers through Carnival, but they said 12:30 boarding time on our docs. But I am hoping like other places - especially new Orleans, they don;t go by that strictly. Hoping we can board earlier and I am a Platinum.

Thanks again for all the great recent info on the Magic!

What was open on Orient Beach? Any food place or bars? We went to St Maarten last Sept and were advised against going there as it was devastated by the hurricane and nothing had been rebuilt. Thanks. 

On 5/20/2019 at 9:48 AM, thesmiths said:

Here is a a youtube video of the cabin we stayed in.

Not our video but will give you a great idea on how it is setup.

We love an Aft wrap.

I have 2 more cruise booked and they are both aft wraps on 7.

Our cabin was the meeting point for dinners, port days. etc.. plenty of room for 7....

No noise,  A bit of vibration maneuvering in ports and up to docks. Nothing that would make me change cabins for the future.

Has one chair and table in the cabin, no couch.

If I'm going to sit it is on the balcony.

Few Pics from our balcony.

This is why we love it.

Can see forward, Side and Aft.

I had not seen that video before, it gives a good look at the room. The aft views are amazing and the balcony is huge. Did you miss having the space on the couch? does the cabin feel smaller because of the odd shaped room?

On 5/20/2019 at 11:05 AM, Phoenix33 said:

I'm so glad to see someone post who was recently on the Magic. I'm doing the same itinerary on the Magic in October. I have two questions for you: 1. Which nights were formal nights? 2. Were the umbrellas still up on Umbrella Street in San Juan? I heard a rumor they were taken down.

Thanks.

I was in San Juan in March, and the umbrellas were there. They were all pink the day I was there, not multi colored. 

I will be sailing the Magic in April 2020 for a B2B for my 50th Anniversary. We will be in an inside cabin on deck 8. I love how cabins on deck 8 have cabin-only decks above and below (decks 7&9) for nice peaceful sleeping! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grandmarnnurse said:

I love how cabins on deck 8 have cabin-only decks above and below (decks 7&9) for nice peaceful sleeping! 

This is why we chose a balcony on deck 8 for our trip on the Breeze as our very first cruise. It just seemed to make sense.

13 hours ago, emdia43 said:

What was open on Orient Beach? Any food place or bars? We went to St Maarten last Sept and were advised against going there as it was devastated by the hurricane and nothing had been rebuilt. Thanks. 

Bikini Beach!

Had a few Drinks.

https://www.facebook.com/Bikinisxm/

That area will be very nice when completed.

We had lunch at Maho beach.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Palmetto Pilot said:

I had not seen that video before, it gives a good look at the room. The aft views are amazing and the balcony is huge. Did you miss having the space on the couch? does the cabin feel smaller because of the odd shaped room?

No, we do not miss a couch.

And at first it may seem smaller, but the balcony makes up for it, for us two we love it.

2 More cruises booked and both are Aft Wraps.

Sunrise and Horizon.

With the 2 windows and door curtains open during the day it is bright and has great views if you are inside.

I'm rarely in the cabin Sleep, shower and make a drink. Other time on the balcony or out and about.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, luv2cruise391 said:

Thank you for all the great info. I am finally getting down t only Puerto Plata/Amber Cover now for excursion. Any suggestions!

The info on Grand Turk was great - we are doing a 2 hr snorkel there. Golf cars sound a little too expensive for 2people, but I may regret not renting one.

The pdf's of the Fun Times are also great - thanks again.

Just to clarify - the 2 specialty restaurants are the Steakhouse and the Italian. I know we will go to the Steakhouse for sure. How was the Italian one and how much was it? Are those the only 2 specialty?

Besides them, the buffet and dining room, pizza, Guy;s Burgers, Mongolian Wok - what other options for dining are there with no charge or are there any more? Long lines or Guy's? 

Our plane arrives at 9:30 am - will we be able to board early - we have transfers through Carnival, but they said 12:30 boarding time on our docs. But I am hoping like other places - especially new Orleans, they don;t go by that strictly. Hoping we can board earlier and I am a Platinum.

Thanks again for all the great recent info on the Magic!

Your welcome.

Here's a link to the eats on board.
https://www.carnival.com/awaywego/cruising-fun/what-to-expect/9-best-restaurants-on-board-carnival-magic

Barbeque was great on 5. Busy when it opens but lines shorten up like al others. Burger line moves quick, there are 2 lines.

Blue Iguana is good. Nice create your own Wraps.

Omlette Station during Breakfast..

There is the Chefs Table that costs as well. Limited space.

We had a nice Italian Dinner, Was $15 per person.

Nana's meatball! Ask for 2.

Everyone enjoyed (7 of us).

Seafood Shack on 10 costs as well.

Not sure how the Transfers with Carnival works.

We were scheduled to be on at 12 and were waiting and one of the employee's told us lets go have fun...

We were eating before noonish.

I would guess you will be on before your time arriving at 9:30 but not much after waiting for the bus and luggage to load.

We have not been to Amber Cove but are going in Sept.

If we could do it, We would do Damajagua Falls.

But with my wifes back it won't work.

Go to Shore Excursion Group website ( all one word), put in your sailing info and check what they have compared to Carnival.

We haven't done a catamaran in years, we may do one of those.

Have a good time and let me know if you have any more questions.

I was on the same Magic cruise as you guys. 

-MarQ didn't really bug me but this was only my 3rd cruise so I dont have a lot to compare it to.

-The shows in the theater were ok but the singing style of their main singer guy really took a lot away from the shows, IMO.  He sung everything in over the top theater style.

- We did the Javin James tour in St Kitts and it was by far the best excursion I have ever done. I can't recommend him highly enough.

Safes were digital (non-card), umbrellas were up in San Jose but a very short block. Lead singer in the theatre was great (over the top? IT IS THEATRE!!!!) Personally i enjoyed MarQ, but there is another CD that lots of people on FB rave about that I can not STAND! 😉

Edited by ScubaDuck

Thank you for posting the Fun Times! Will be on this same itinerary later this year and was hoping someone would share so I can get an idea of the schedule and different activities that might be available (first time on Carnival). 

On 5/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, thesmiths said:

Pre-Booked with Wet Money $100.00.

If you pay with CC.. 12% I heard them say to someone.

We just walked up and rented golf cart last October. $45  .

On 5/20/2019 at 7:41 PM, Therobielyn's said:

LOL.....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..........

Ciao, ciao...oh...but it's just for now!!!

Good grief!!!

Just the thought of hearing that right now makes me ill.

By far the worst CD we have had, but then again, there is only one MIKE PACK!!

I am compete opposite and loved Mark-Q!

• 2 months later...
On 6/1/2019 at 4:02 PM, goofygal531 said:

$100 is listed on their website. How did you get it for $45?

where are they located exactly?

Right after you clear port on the main road . Very tall attractive black lady quoted that price. We paid her and off we went. Think she was named Dimitri , not sure.