Attire acceptable for formal night?

dchan865

Hey everyone,  just a quick question, its been almost 12 years since I cruised on Princess so not sure how strict/flexible they are now in 2019 with attire.  Is long sleeve dress shirt(light blue, white, ) with slack, no tie and sport jacket still good for formal night dining?  We  want to travel as light as possible during our travel on the upcoming British Isle cruise on the Regal Princess.

Thanks!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dchan865 said:

Hey everyone,  just a quick question, its been almost 12 years since I cruised on Princess so not sure how strict/flexible they are now in 2019 with attire.  Is long sleeve dress shirt(light blue, white, ) with slack, no tie and sport jacket still good for formal night dining?  We  want to travel as light as possible during our travel on the upcoming British Isle cruise on the Regal Princess.

Thanks!

This is what Princess says.

Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

You can always go to the buffet on formal nights. Just remember that many in the dining room on formal nights may give you stares if you are not dressed up but I doubt that you would be kept out.

3 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Just remember that many in the dining room on formal nights may give you stares if you are not dressed up but I doubt that you would be kept out.

My guess is that the outfit the OP describes will draw absolutely zero disapproving stares.

Jim

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, denmarks said:

Cruises five days or longer include at least one formal dining night: evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits for men.

You can always go to the buffet on formal nights. Just remember that many in the dining room on formal nights may give you stares if you are not dressed up but I doubt that you would be kept out.

Absolutely no one, NO ONE will be giving "stares" in the dining room.  OP...  you will be fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 6

We are on the Royal Princess and last night was the first formal night. My husband wore nice jeans and a nice button down striped shirt. He couldn’t find the tie he packed and we don’t do jackets. It was no problem at all. I even saw a man in the dining room with a completely casual T-shirt. 

Most dress quite nicely but nothing special is required. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, lindafromns said:

We are on the Royal Princess and last night was the first formal night. My husband wore nice jeans and a nice button down striped shirt. He couldn’t find the tie he packed and we don’t do jackets. It was no problem at all. I even saw a man in the dining room with a completely casual T-shirt. 

I'm glad to see there were no problems. I'm still debating if I should bring a jacket or not.

10 minutes ago, julia said:

Absolutely no one, NO ONE will be giving "stares" in the dining room.  OP...  you will be fine.  Enjoy your cruise.

Glad to hear this. I may not bring my jacket. It has been 4 years since my last cruise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, denmarks said:

If you wish to go to the buffet, certainly you can.  If you wish to go to the main dining room you should.  There are no fashion police.  Enjoy your dinner!!!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, denmarks said:

It is what they say and suggest but not enforced in any way.  Attire has changed over the years and varies by location of cruise.  Europe tends to be more formal than Alaska or the Caribbean.  Lots of gentlemen in a nice pair of slacks and shirt without coat or tie.  On the flip side you still see people who go all out as they enjoy the opportunity to dress up.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, denmarks said:

I'm glad to see there were no problems. I'm still debating if I should bring a jacket or not.

I haven't worn a jacket for years on formal night.  Dress shirt and slacks, nothing more.😃

• Like 5

Tonight was the first Formal Night on the CB’s eastern Caribbean cruise.  I was surprised to see so many men in jackets. BUT we were in the Club Class dining room, which on this sailing seems to have an older crowd.  (Me included!)  Walking around after dinner I saw all forms of dress. As others have said there are no fashion police on duty. Just wear what you think is appropriate.  When we were on a Mediterranean cruise (Celebrity) last summer there were very, very few men in jackets.  In fact a couple at the table next to us wore the same jeans and tee shirts every night to dinner!  We all have to pack lighter now to avoid paying those rediculous over-weight charges!  😠

• Like 2

10 hours ago, julia said:

I want to share a funny story here. Last year we were on RCCL President's Cruise. My husband was in his favorite suit and I had on a beautiful cocktail dress. On our way to dinner, I heard a lady ask her husband why we were dressed so nice and he said "I don't know, something about lobster night". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I did the BI cruise two years ago.  I wore my dockers and guayabera short for all "formal" nights and had no problem at all in the TD MDR.  That is all I have been wearing to "formal" nights for the last five years.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, denmarks said:

I have never understood why this question is asked...either you choose to follow the code or not.  There are alternatives if following this code is not acceptable to you (your vacation, your choice)  Until the cruiselines decide to get rid of the dress codes all together ( many of them have, but since you are traveling on Princess they still have a code ) then do what you want...if you are turned away, then it’s your fault for not following a simple request when dining in the MDR on formal night.  You probably won’t be turned away, but it  COULD happen..either way, you are an adult, make a decision!  Sorry, but I feel the same way about folks who go to “adult” content shows and are put out by the “adult” content. 🙄  Rant over.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lindafromns said:

I'm on the Royal on the 25th. I was wondering which nights are formal on this Alaskan cruise.

We've been cruising Princess since the days of formal, semi formal & casual evenings. The true formal nights have given way to what any person really wishes to wear. 

If you feel comfortable without the jacket & button dress shirt then go with it.

My DH hasn't brought his jacket or tie in over 15 years wearing just Dockers & either a dress shirt, Polo or guayabera shirt and hasn't even been refused entrance to the DR. 

It's even described by Princess on their web site as an option for those that don't wish to dress up on formal nights.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1