Great Stirrup Cay Beach Cabana

kjbacon

Can anyone describe this cabana? I am looking for any info from whether or not you liked it, if there’s chairs or benches, if it’s covered by umbrellas or a tented roof, just anything to help me get a picture in my mind. Thanks so much!

Googling "Great Stirrup Cay Beach Cabana" brings up lots of images and videos which are noted to be on the NCL-owned island which may answer some of your questions.

Edited by Portolan

7 hours ago, kjbacon said:

Can anyone describe this cabana? I am looking for any info from whether or not you liked it, if there’s chairs or benches, if it’s covered by umbrellas or a tented roof, just anything to help me get a picture in my mind. Thanks so much!

Mister bacon - not sure about the Cabana, but we stopped at Great Stirrup Cay in January and there was no shortage of places to park.  Sun, shade, chairs, loungers, etc...keep in mind that this island is owned and managed by NCL and is designed to host thousands of people from the larger ships, so the 500-750 from Regent barely register.  

I didn't think I'd much like the island but it was really a great stop - plenty to do (or not do), Regent staff serving cocktails in the surf, gentle breezes...I wish I was back there right about now!!

16 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Mister bacon - not sure about the Cabana, but we stopped at Great Stirrup Cay in January and there was no shortage of places to park.  Sun, shade, chairs, loungers, etc...keep in mind that this island is owned and managed by NCL and is designed to host thousands of people from the larger ships, so the 500-750 from Regent barely register.  

I didn't think I'd much like the island but it was really a great stop - plenty to do (or not do), Regent staff serving cocktails in the surf, gentle breezes...I wish I was back there right about now!!

You’ve made the island sounds fabulous and like Portalon suggested, I googled it and I think we have to treat ourselves to this luxury. Can’t think of a better way to use our shipboard credit. Love the shower, the fan, the shade, the table and chairs for a card game. PS, please call me Karen 🙂

When are you sailing? We're on the Breakaway Jan 22 and are looking for a couple to split the cost of the small cabana with. We have a 10% discount and $50 Shore excursion credit that we'd apply to it to bring the cost down further.

5 hours ago, kjbacon said:

PS, please call me Karen 🙂

My apologies, Ms. Bacon, er, Karen.   :-)

Not sure what the cost is for the cabanas as we didn't partake, but I'm sure they'd be relaxing!  Even without a cabana, we had no shortage of places to hang out.  I'd assume that Regent would only stop there if they were the only NCL ship in that day, but I'd check with them to be sure - I'm not sure I'd have enjoyed it much at all with another 2 or 3 thousand people milling around...

49 minutes ago, BeemerGB said:

When are you sailing? We're on the Breakaway Jan 22 and are looking for a couple to split the cost of the small cabana with. We have a 10% discount and $50 Shore excursion credit that we'd apply to it to bring the cost down further.

I'd think that NCL would limit the island to one ship per day, so the chance of two ships being there the same day would be pretty slim (I'd hope - two ships would overwhelm the island, I think...)

3 hours ago, BeemerGB said:

Looks like we will be there a couple weeks after you since we sail January 28 and it’s the last stop on the way back. We are also sailing with another couple and we are going to split it. Thank you for the great suggestion though and have a great trip!

7 hours ago, BeemerGB said:

I may be wrong in my recollection, but I think the the Cabana rental charges are made onshore and not thru the ships Shore Ex and that you can not use your OBC or discount.  

The place is huge and the are hundreds of lounges chairs out along the beach. Plenty of shade. I wouldn't suggest worrying about getting a cabana. 

Be aware that there are two separate beaches at NCL island. The 3 times I have been there with Regent they have only used the beach on the right side, opposite the tender harbor. I think that the cabana's in many online photos are from the other "newer" beach that is nearer the lagoon on the left side.  Take a look at this map (link)

J

• Like 1

With Bill on this one. We were so pleasantly surprised to have this whole place to ourselves. It was a great place to learn to paddleboard, then relax in the shade of the palm trees with a delicious piña colada, and take pics of the Regent staff serving champagne in the surf (ok, no surf, it was very calm).

It was our first full day on a Regent cruise, and a fantastic introduction to the brand.

However, if we had to share it with a mega ship, I would just stay onboard, and enjoy that atmosphere.

20 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

Just my opinion but I strongly dislike "private islands".  They are boring and they take away the opportunity to visit places that are of interest too many passengers.  

Jackie - I didn't think I'd like it but I did.  There was a lot to do - or not do, as you chose - and we found it very relaxing, a great start to our cruise last winter.  Some of the decor seemed a bit contrived, of course, but there was no shortage of loungers, scuba gear, and other things to do.  I did a quick parasail in the morning and was going to take the wave runner out in the afternoon but didn't have my license with me and they wouldn't budge on that requirement.  So I hung out on the beach and sipped cocktails in the surf.  Not a bad way to pass a day at all.

16 hours ago, vegasdriven said:

With Bill on this one. We were so pleasantly surprised to have this whole place to ourselves. It was a great place to learn to paddleboard, then relax in the shade of the palm trees with a delicious piña colada, and take pics of the Regent staff serving champagne in the surf (ok, no surf, it was very calm).

It was our first full day on a Regent cruise, and a fantastic introduction to the brand.

However, if we had to share it with a mega ship, I would just stay onboard, and enjoy that atmosphere.

Yep, agreed - the only way I'd enjoy the island is if a Regent ship was the only one anchored.  I don't think Regent would double up - but if they did, yep, I'd have stayed on board.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, UUNetBill said:

Yep, agreed - the only way I'd enjoy the island is if a Regent ship was the only one anchored.  I don't think Regent would double up - but if they did, yep, I'd have stayed on board.

I didn't know Regent did that--we did it a few times on SeaDreams and it was really a nice enjoyable day.

Edited by ronrick1943