Best port to do a Safari??

cashmeremypuppydog!!  Thank you for all your information!!  Did you write a blog that you can share? I saw your post on the Feb 2/21 Cpt to Singapore Oceania roll call to read your posts here!!  Thank you for doing that!  I am going to write you as I have so many questions.  

Lauren

On 6/13/2020 at 10:09 AM, deus said:

cashmeremypuppydog!!  Thank you for all your information!!  Did you write a blog that you can share? I saw your post on the Feb 2/21 Cpt to Singapore Oceania roll call to read your posts here!!  Thank you for doing that!  I am going to write you as I have so many questions.  

Lauren

Looking forward to hearing from you Lauren!

The Canadians!😎

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 10:36 AM, 31 cents said:

I was hoping to go to south Africa in Jan./Feb 2021, but with the Covid 19 virus, it is on hold.  I think my expectations are too high,  I would like to visit the Krugar area, Capetown and VIctoria Falls.  I hope to include stays at 2 different lodges for safaris for 2-3 nights,  I think that is doable, but my problem is I am a cruise lover.  I also have a hard time with long flights.  We are coming from the united states.  I have found cruises that sail round-trip Capetown and also from Dubai to Capetown on NCL that are reasonably priced.  So we would do the Safaris before of after the cruise.  I like some of the packages OAT has.  My problem are the flights.  Flying to Dubai or Capetown is sooooo long.  Any ideas?

We have done a short 2 night safari from a cruise ship near Port Elizabeth -- after the 2 nights, we flew to meet our ship in Durban.  We also spent 2 months in South Africa this past Jan/Feb.  I can recommend Qatar flights for well priced business class from the USA -- the problem was the long layover in Doha, but part of the adventure?? (not really).  The 12hr+flights did not seem long at all.  We ruled out flying into Jo.burg, which would have made a Kruger safari a choice.    We decided to base in Cape Town, and a safari was not our main goal.  We ruled out Kruger and other parks as it was their summer, and didn't feel like it was the best time of year for us. We did stay 3 nights in a private game park near Port Elizabeth (the end of a 2 week garden route drive) and then flew to Victoria falls from Port Elizabeth with a return to Cape Town.   The flights connected through Johannesburg, but I believe there might be a direct flight from the Falls to Cape Town.  If you have a short amount of time, I found the private reserves to be very nice -- though I would like to do Kruger some day.