Self service laundry facilities

Bornforthis

31 minutes ago, Bornforthis said:

Are there self service laundries on board

Only on a few of the smaller ships and they are being replaced.  Take advantage of the ship's laundry for $7/day in North/South America and $9/day in Europe if you buy for the duration of the cruise.  It saves on packing lots of clothes or wasting time doing your own laundry.

Single bag prices are $20 in North/South America and $30 Europe.

Enjoy your cruise planning.

Edited by Crew News

I'm onboard Maasdam now, and there's still at least one self-service laundry. Washing costs $2 and drying $1 (but may take more than one cycle to dry completely). The wash cycle takes about 30 minutes, and each dryer cycle is 45 minutes. Liquid soap is provided (you're not supposed to use your own). It does an adequate job.

Good luck. 

Nieuw Statendam.  Thinking of booking our first cruise with HAL and just wondered.  If not, it’s not a problem as won’t put us off as been on many ships with no laundry facilities but can be useful.  Thanks in advance

From the Holland America Line website...

Are Laundry Facilities Available On Board?

For your comfort and convenience we offer full laundry and dry cleaning service on each ship in the Holland America Line fleet. In your stateroom you will find laundry bags and price lists conveniently located in your closet.

Onboard self-service launderettes consisting of washers, dryers, irons and ironing boards are available on the ms Amsterdam and Maasdam. There is a charge for the use of the self-service launderettes and it is coin operated. Iron and ironing boards are provided at no cost.

Please note: For safety reasons, travel irons, steamers, and electric water heaters/kettles may not be used in your stateroom.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kwb101 said:

I'm onboard Maasdam now, and there's still at least one self-service laundry. Washing costs $2 and drying $1 (but may take more than one cycle to dry completely). The wash cycle takes about 30 minutes, and each dryer cycle is 45 minutes. Liquid soap is provided (you're not supposed to use your own). It does an adequate job.

Good luck. 

Do you happen to know if the liquid soap that is provided is free and clear (hypoallergenic)?  My husband has super sensitive skin and using the wrong detergent could literally ruin our cruise (at least for a few days).  

1 hour ago, 2pbears said:

Do you happen to know if the liquid soap that is provided is free and clear (hypoallergenic)?  My husband has super sensitive skin and using the wrong detergent could literally ruin our cruise (at least for a few days).  

I think that's a question for HAL: the dispenser has a solid block of detergent inside, you push a button, hold the provided plastic Co under it, and it gives you the right amount for one load. I didn't sees a sign about using other detergents, but I'm pretty sure they want you to only use the one provided. You may be better off sending your laundry out to the big laundry service onboard (although it's rather expensive at $30 for a smallish bag). Good luck!

1 hour ago, 2pbears said:

In such a severe circumstance I wouldn't take the risk of an unknown chemistry.  I suggest you bring aboard your laundry soap that you know is safe and was in the room.  People put dryer sheets in the dryers and they leave a residue so I wouldn't even want to dry hand-washed laundry in a public dryer.  Better safe than sorry! m--

I did not think there were any ships with self serve laundry's

None of the Vista, Signature or Pinnacle class ships have ever had Self Serve Laundry's.  .   The R Class used to have them but they were removed some years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

On Maasdam, wash cycle was 29 minutes, dry was 45 (but be sure to set temp to high, or it'll take the rest of your voyage and still be damp). We found that two loads of wash would fit in one dryer, and would dry in one cycle.

BTW, the machines were made by Speed Queen, so other brands may produce different results. 

Edited by kwb101

11 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Do most people sit and wait for the laundry to be finished or just keep coming back and checking?

Now that kwb101 has given you the times (check with the Front Desk to be sure they are the same), I see no reason to wait around when you could be doing something else. But do be sure to be back a minute or two before the cycle ends---you never know when someone needing the machine will be taking your laundry out before you have a chance to reach for it.

49 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Now that kwb101 has given you the times (check with the Front Desk to be sure they are the same), I see no reason to wait around when you could be doing something else. But do be sure to be back a minute or two before the cycle ends---you never know when someone needing the machine will be taking your laundry out before you have a chance to reach for it.

Good advice! We managed to get there first thing in the morning (0700), but there were always folks in the room when we went back to either wash or dry. FWIW, during our cruise (May 7-28), the laundry on deck 5 started with three working washers but only one dryer (around May 15). That went to no working dryers a week later (but the washers soldiered on). We ended up using the laundry on deck 9, where all the machines worked.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, RuthC said:

Thanks, that is what I was thinking of doing.