Feeling crowded on Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam

CRu1853!!

We went on our first cruise in January.  We were on the Koningsdam, didn't feel crowded and  yet the ship was sold out. My hubby HATES crowds, and he said the only time he felt crowded was diembarkation, but we were held up for a half hour before we got the go ahead to dock (this was during the US government shutdown, so not surprised). There were A LOT of cranky ppl onboard that morning.

Sailed Kdam and NS and they are now are go to ships and no issues with the passenger count and enjoy the larger ship with more stuff to do......It's also amazing to us as to how they have virtually eliminated lines at embarkation and tenders etc.

We've been on Zandam and other 'dam ships but we prefer these larger ships.

And regarding the lido breakfast crush.....We may have waited a few back or forgo our omelet for something else if it's busy and never had an issue finding a seat at the lido pool area.

.....bring on the Ryndam!

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the World Stage. That area is way too small for the number of passengers. By my estimate, it holds fewer than a third of the passengers. Of course, now that HAL appears to be getting rid of main stage shows, that may not matter. 

We sailed the Kdam in the Med last fall for three weeks and thought it was terrific. It was totally full and while it's a smidgen bigger than we like, it was fine from our POV.  I could easily find a place to be by myself to read quietly, indoors or outside.  There were a couple of times when it was a teensy bit iffy to get into the World Stage, but really not bad.  

Perhaps that's just our impression because right after that cruise, we boarded MSC's Meraviglia for a week of hell. Wanna talk about crowded? 🙂

Our experience is that smaller ships are not necessarily less crowded and larger ships more crowded.

We think that it comes down to ship layout, design, and even decor.  We have been on a few ships that were smaller and seemed extremely crowded.  Why?  Poor layout, fewer elevators and the ones that were there were not in the right location such as doors opening our right in front of crowded MDR lines.   Also dark decor..lots of wood and brass vs bright, open areas with decor and furnishings that created a sense of space vs a sense of confinement. 

Similarly, we have been on some 2700 passenger ships that never seemed crowded.  They were well laid out, good traffic flow, with numerous dining options that positively impacted the MDR and buffet areas.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:54 PM, Cruise Suzy said:

We were on the Koningsdam for 11 nights in February - never felt crowded. Plenty of spaces in Lido (where we ate most meals), Pinnacle Grill (1 lunch and 1 dinner), Canaletto (1 dinner). No long lines at Grand Dutch Café, Deli, Dive-In or bars. Maybe our timing was responsible for that but we weren't ever the first or last to dine.

Plenty of space to browse the shops, art gallery, etc. Never had trouble finding a place to sit for shows or talks - and we never went especially early. Didn't use the pools, but as we walked through the pool areas, there seemed to be unoccupied lounges.

Our experience in late January/early February was different. We took the 11 day Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Koningsdam and anytime we tried to make use of larger public areas, it was packed with long waits or no seating available for the shows.  

We were in a Neptune Suite, so this didn't impact our breakfast or dinner options - we dined in Club Orange - but we could see the long waits for guests choosing the MDR. The waiting areas were often so crowded, it was difficult to get to the toilets in those areas. The Lido deck at lunch was often very crowded, although that would depend on which food station you chose.

We were never able to make any of the early starting shows, even arriving one night 45 minutes early it signs were already posted that it was at capacity.

The Lincoln center, OTH, was never crowded nor were any of the lounges.

My take-away was with the Koningsdam size ships, HAL sacrificed space in their larger venues to make for more lounges and smaller venues.  This definitely showed in the MDR and Main Theater which were nearly always packed.

The ONLY time I felt crowded on the Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam was at the Saturday evening Mass in the Hudson Room which cannot be expanded.  Other than that, I never felt crowded.  I have been on both ships.

Just back from the Koningsdam 23 nights in the med.  Felt very crowded at times. Not helped by no proper prom deck -- as in to sit on during days at sea. Staff lovely as usual but many negatives this time and noise in the MDR was really bad.

Teresa 

On 5/21/2019 at 1:28 PM, CRu1853!! said:

Just looking for opinions from you all (southern a little) on whether or not you feel crowded on these ships. My DH and I have been on the Zaandam twice and the Nieuw Amsterdam once but that was only for 3 nights. 

Thanks

Spent 21 days on back-to-back Norway/Baltic May 2018.  Loved the Konigsdam!  Has plenty of space, lots of options for relaxation both indoors and out.  Will be on the New Statendam in October!

On 6/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the World Stage. That area is way too small for the number of passengers. By my estimate, it holds fewer than a third of the passengers. Of course, now that HAL appears to be getting rid of main stage shows, that may not matter. 

I didn't have problems with the shows but the EXC talks and things like Captain's Q&A were another matter.  They could help with some of this by televising the port talks live, but really need 2 or more sessions for the Captains Q&A.

Roy

On 6/14/2019 at 12:45 PM, Teresa Price said:

Just back from the Koningsdam 23 nights in the med.  Felt very crowded at times. Not helped by no proper prom deck -- as in to sit on during days at sea.

Teresa 

Hi, can you explain about the promenade deck? Is it different from some of the other ships?

35 minutes ago, CMDE said:

Hi, can you explain about the promenade deck? Is it different from some of the other ships?

The deck is very narrow with the lifeboats and tenders blocking most of the sea views.  There are no deck chairs available on the deck.  The Pinnacle Class ships Promenade Deck is very different than that same deck on all of the other HAL ships.

Embarkation for the Nieuw Statendam was poor both times I've been on her, December 5 and March 17. Enough so that I gave significantly negative views and ratings on the surveys. I did not feel crowded on her but you will not find me in the Lido at peak or going to the show much.

14 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

The deck is very narrow with the lifeboats and tenders blocking most of the sea views.  There are no deck chairs available on the deck.  The Pinnacle Class ships Promenade Deck is very different than that same deck on all of the other HAL ships.

Thanks for the info. I’ve booked an OV on the Koningsdam, and tend to avoid the pool area, but hopefully I’ll find another shady place to sit and look at the ocean.

We have cruised on the Koningsdam three times and the Nieuw Statendam once.  We really liked both ships and never felt they were too crowded.

We are booked for another T.A. on the Koningsdam this fall, so I guess that shows we really like this ship.  

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 8:06 AM, GlennG said:

My wife and I traveled on the Koningsdam in January for 21 days.  We felt that the ship was crowded, cluttered, and congested; - particularly on the Lido Deck.  The Lido Market on sea days was really crowded, and the swimming pools have to accommodate many more people than the similar sized pools on the older ships.  Compared to the Vista Class ships, we felt a little uncomfortable on the Koningsdam.

We also found our balcony room to be smaller than corresponding rooms on Vista Class ships.

Then there is the congested and narrow promanade on Deck 3.  Space doesn't permit me to express our disappointment with Deck 3 of the Koningsdam.

Yes- we agree with above comments.  Promenade on K terrible

Good luck trying to find a shady place to look out onto the ocean on the Koningsdam. That was our biggest disappointment with this ship. Our usual spot during the day is on a lounge chair on the Promenade deck looking out over the ocean. The Koningsdam has no lounge chairs on the narrow Promenade deck which forced everyone upstairs to the Lido deck around both pools which were hot, stuffy and noisy. We will sail on her again, but will have to spend the extra for a balcony cabin. 

49 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Love the Koningsdam.  We get a cabana so we can move from the sun to the shade to our hearts’ content.

I wish I could learn to love cabanas.  They always make me feel a bit claustrophobic -- be it at a hotel or on a ship.  I know most people do enjoy them.

1 hour ago, ronbe65 said:

It depends on what "crowded" means to you.

I only can tell you the numbers and show the pictures.

Koningsdam/Nieuw Statendam  have lower internal space ratio vs Nieuw Amsterdam.

Open deck space is roughly 15-20% smaller, with 500 more passengers on board.

Happy cruising!

Thanks for the pics. We are not generally pool-side sitters, but sometimes like to bring Lido lunch out (or have Dive-In). Both main and aft pool pics seem to show more covered/shaded seating on K'dam vs NA. I see that we may have to get lucky to find something open, but more likely to have seats to our liking.

• Like 2