Self Serve Laundry Grace Period Before You Remove "Abandoned" Load

SargassoPirate

If you want the machine but don't want to remove someone else's clothes there is a phone in the laundry with the number for the laundry attendant. They will come on down and remove it for you, they also leave a note with the clothes so you are in the clear.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrPantsOz said:

If you want the machine but don't want to remove someone else's clothes there is a phone in the laundry with the number for the laundry attendant. They will come on down and remove it for you, they also leave a note with the clothes so you are in the clear.

That's a good idea.  We are reluctant to touch other people's stuff, but then if they leave it unattended.......

We do enjoy using the laundry rooms on longer voyages and don't consider the time spent as cutting into our vacation time.  

3 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Is there a time limit notice or policy posted in the laundry room?

Isn’t laundry considered personal property?  And do you have the right to remove others PAXs laundry from the washer or dryer?

OK If you haven't gotten it by now, this is a personal for me.  I live in an apartment building with a communal laundry. 

There doesn't have to be posted signs for common curtesy. 

All residents understand that if you are not back, your laundry is going to be moved if there are no other free washers or dryers available.  There is never a problem. It's only SOME people who are not used to common rooms who feel they are privileged to make others wait because they were off on their timing.  Or, they feel they are entitled to inconvenience others in general.  

My suggestion, do what's comfortable for you.  Wait if you want. Check doors if you want.   I will not sit in a laundry room on my vacation because someone else is partying.  Now that I just turned elite, who knows, maybe I'll use the ships laundry. Probably not though...............  or just items that I wouldn't miss if damaged. 

1 hour ago, lolane1 said:

Now that I just turned elite, who knows, maybe I'll use the ships laundry. Probably not though...............  or just items that I wouldn't miss if damaged. 

HINT: I only pack things that "I wouldn't miss if damaged". It's like insurance...never had a lost or damaged item and I've been Elite for 10+ cruises.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MrPantsOz said:

Never heard that before?

One thing I have heard happen is that someone will watch you take your clothes out of the washer and put them in the dryer and then leave.  They will remove your wet clothes and put their wet clothes in there to dry.  I tend to "babysit" my things in the dryer for that reason.

18 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Isn’t laundry considered personal property?  And do you have the right to remove others PAXs laundry from the washer or dryer?

Personal property? Yes, of course, but so what? We're talking about moving completed laundry a few feet within the laundry room, not taking it back to your cabin and then home with you. 

As for rights, what right does the other person have to tie up a machine that they are no longer using? 

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Personal property? Yes, of course, but so what? We're talking about moving completed laundry a few feet within the laundry room, not taking it back to your cabin and then home with you. 

As for rights, what right does the other person have to tie up a machine that they are no longer using? 

Where do you put the offending PAXs washed or dried laundry?  Is there a holding area in the laundry room?  How many washer and dryers in the laundry room?   How many laundry rooms are there on a ship?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

If the washer is finished and someone's laundry is just sitting in there, doing nothing, I'll find a clean table to put that laundry so it can continue to sit there, doing nothing.

If my wash is finished and the person's laundry is still there untouched, I'll put it back in the washer... as the owner intended.

I'd expect the same in return.

Edited by dougypk
Spelling is hard

34 minutes ago, dougypk said:

If the washer is finished and someone's laundry is just sitting in there, doing nothing, I'll find a clean table to put that laundry so it can continue to sit there, doing nothing.

If my wash is finished and the person's laundry is still there untouched, I'll put it back in the washer... as the owner intended.

I'd expect the same in return.

Re :  unattended laundry.

I think you are doing the the right thing in response to the OP’s question.  IMO the voice of reason.

Thank you for your civil reply.👍

Edited by Kingofcool1947