Cruise Critic Community

Do I need a PIN number to use my US issued credit cards in Australia and New Zealand?

I would check with your card issuer. 

We do have contactless payments (tap and go) but there is usually a limit of $50-$100 AUD above which a PIN is required.

IMHO, If in any doubt, prepare as if you will need one and if you don't, bonus!😉

And if you want to get local currency you’ll need a PIN for the ATM.

No, you don't in shops. Though, as always, you would to use an ATM.

When we've been to NZ we've always needed to have a PIN for our credit card as well as the debit card in the ATM's.  The tap option is handy but occasionally that doesn't work and you need the PIN to complete the purchase.  Don't all credit cards have PINs now?  Is that just an American issued cc thing, not having a PIN? 🤔

Posted (edited)

We spent a month in Oz this past winter.    

Our experience....

-we used tap for smaller transactions everywhere.  used very little cash.

-stores, restaurants, and accommodation were a combination but more often we needed to input our pin numbers for higher dollar transactions (over about $100aud).  So...it really does vary depending on vendor.

-a pin was required on our 1 ATM withdrawal.   

Our cards all have 4 digit pin numbers.

Edited by iancal

Not all shops or cafes in NZ have the tap and go...and many who have had them are taking them out.

I’d get a PIN anyway.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:09 AM, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Not all shops or cafes in NZ have the tap and go...and many who have had them are taking them out.

Why is that? The tap & go is becoming very much the norm in Australia for anything up to $100

When we arrived in Australia we withdrew $500 from the ATM.    After 21 days of touring, we still had slightly less than $300. Used most of it up during our last five days in Sydney.  It was tap and go for everything, credit card with pin for most other charges.

14 hours ago, mr walker said:

Why is that? The tap & go is becoming very much the norm in Australia for anything up to $100

Simple ..the Australian owned banks are demanding outrageous fees to the small retailers.

I understand that small retailers can be smashed with fees, but it seemingly is the cost of doing business in 2019. Do you mean the fees for tap & go are higher than when the card is inserted? Or that they are moving away from any electronic transactions.

Using cards, including tap & go, is so widespread in Australia now that many people have literally gone cashless. They carry just a mobile phone & a credit/debit card. Some don't even carry a card now, they use the phone for paying for everything! When the internet goes down, the whole process grinds to a halt. Recently here a major supermarket had to shut the store as there was no way for people to pay for their groceries when the system went down .

Used my cards without a pin for purchases in March. Really no issues. One shop declined a card for under $20.00  three hours later I charged about $1500 on the same card no issues, so you should have more than one card. 

10 hours ago, Expat Cruise said:

Used my cards without a pin for purchases in March. Really no issues. One shop declined a card for under $20.00  three hours later I charged about $1500 on the same card no issues, so you should have more than one card. 

It’s only some smaller places that not having a PIN can become problematic and many shops have a limit such as $10 or $20

I will be in Oz in October and don't know how to handle the money situation.  Is it like Europe, I can just go to ATM's and get AU dollars?  I assume there will be ATM fees charged.  Or, should I bring some AU dollars from home (not sure I can get them here in Dallas, Texas USA).

Back to this topic, I've heard Australia charges a fee for credit cards.  I'm especially concerned about this for our large hotel bill in Sydney.  Will a fee be assessed to us??  Thanks

There are ATM S everywhere.

some businesses charge a surchcharge for using credit card but not all usually 1 or 1.5%, they should have a sign displaying the fact, ask the hotel before you book or if already booked before you pay. 

No you do not need a pin number for credit card purchases in either Australia or New Zealand.  I can only think of one exception and it was for the Ferry in Sydney.

For cash out of an ATM you should be using an ATM and not a credit card.  With the ATM card you have a pin number.

We have gotten cash from ATM's in both countries many times including earlier this year.

Keith