Unusual Wine Question

I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to bring this on as their wine?  It is wine but I feel as the Margarita wording and odd shaped bottle will be an issue.  I have the receipt from where it was purchased at a grocery store in Texas (grocery stores in Texas are only allowed to sell beer or wine).  Just wanted something I like until my beverage package kicks in in 2nd day. 482550465_ScreenShot2019-05-22at12_26_24PM.png.4fe49cc25655e13e9c888c296ac7953a.png

Half the time we go through security at the port they don't inspect our bottles. And we don't try to obscure them! I'd say give it a shot! Assuming your bought it at HEB? I've seen those in our local store, but have not tried them. How are they?

26 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

It's only 6% alcohol, and most wine is between 12%-15%... It's worth a shot, but you'd get more bang for your buck with actual wine...

Hmm, 6% seemed odd so I just went and looked at my two bottles and it is 13.9%!  

22 minutes ago, redstapler7 said:

Half the time we go through security at the port they don't inspect our bottles. And we don't try to obscure them! I'd say give it a shot! Assuming your bought it at HEB? I've seen those in our local store, but have not tried them. How are they?

Yes at HEB.  I love Margarita's but tequila does not like me anymore so it is a good substitute.  DH doesn't like wine at all so I figured he may drink a glass or two.  If Carnival would just get with the program and allow packages to be used out of Galveston on the first day like Royal does!!!

35 minutes ago, islandchicklet said:

Yes at HEB.  I love Margarita's but tequila does not like me anymore so it is a good substitute.  DH doesn't like wine at all so I figured he may drink a glass or two.  If Carnival would just get with the program and allow packages to be used out of Galveston on the first day like Royal does!!!

Oh, I didn't know Royal allowed it to be used out of Galveston. We've only sailed with Carnival and have been drinking their "kool-aid" about it being a TABC thing this whole time!

The problem with alcohol out of Galveston is the Texas liquor tax.  Cruise lines historically sell only a limited selection (on which they have paid TX tax).  If Carnival allowed the package the first night, you would be limited in your beverage choices that first night.  Apparently, paying full price for a partial package  outweighs the complaints of not having (nor paying for) the package the first day.

If Royal allows the full package they are paying a lot more in tax on a lot more beverage choices.  But every line that has or does sail out of TX has a whole separate inventory of ‘tabc paid liquor’.  It is up to each line to choose how much and what to stock in that.

1025Cruise is correct, it may come down to a technicality and it is a likely a 50/50 shot if you get by screening and probably a less that 50/50 shot if it is flagged and you plead your case.

You should be prepared that you will not be allowed to bring it aboard.

Agave wine is not tequila but it may be fortified with tequila  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_wine

2 hours ago, islandchicklet said:

I thought it was a state law, not a Carnival law

I believe it is a state law, Texas is part of the "Bible Belt". When we cruised out of Mobile you could use cheers but it was a slightly limited menu.  I don't understand the restrictions but each state has their own laws.  I live in southern Ohio and our drinking laws are a bit different as well for example a parent can order a drink for their child under 21 as long as the parent is   the one who gives it to them.

Don't think it has anything to do with Bible Belt as much as Texas wanting the taxes while in Texas waters.  It is a very limited selection until you are in international waters (whether you have a package or paying by the drink) but the difference is that Carnival doesn't offer their beverage package on the first day and Royal does.  

• 3 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, KurtJ said:

I found and tried this drink tonight. I liked it so I called Carnival and the rep said that it should be no problem bringing it aboard.

That rep will not be working at the terminal and terminal people are immune to "but the person on the phone said I could"

• Like 1

A few days ago another thread a poster asked if they could bring Sangria. Though wine is the only alcohol in it and many posters said yeah it should be accepted, and a couple of people said to get that same resonspe in an email from Carnival directly to show port security. When the poster tried confirmed with Carnival they said NO.

The last 2 cruises I've been on they didn't even check to see if I had wine. As long as it says it's a wine product, you shouldn't have any problems. TSA doesn't check and the Carnival Rep behind the counter probably won't ask about it anyway.