Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
fyree39

MIA hotels and shuttle options to port

I've run a search and I keep finding things on FLL departures, not MIA.

We'll be flying into MIA and looking to spend one night pre-cruise.  We'll be cruising out of Terminal J on Dodge Island.  My husband and I can't seem to figure out where we want to stay: Near the airport or near the cruise terminal.  We're leaning toward the cruise terminal which means we'll have to find transportation to the hotel from the airport.  Is Uber easily accessible from Miami International? I'm assuming Uber will be easy from the hotel. Also, we'll be getting transportation from Terminal J to the airport at the end of our trip.  Uber?  SuperShuttle? What's best?

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations for both hotel and transportation. Thanks so much!

We prefer to stay near the port .... the Intercontinel. We use a taxi from MIA to the hotel and then the port. No problems.

I would stay near the airport if arriving late, but stay near the port if arriving early.  I've done both.  I have also used shuttles, cabs, and uber.  The hotel that I stayed at near the port was InterContinental and it is very nice.  The room was large.  We walked around the area during the day and took a cab to the port.

When I stayed near the airport, I took an uber from FLL to a hotel not far from the Miami airport.  The next day I took the hotel's shuttle to the port.  At the end of the cruise, I took an uber back to FLL.  My flight in arrived at night, so I didn't feel the need to spend as much on a hotel.

Yes, uber is very easy in Miami.  I would not hesitate to use it again.  The hotel decision would come down to how early I would arrive the day before the cruise.  I wouldn't waste the money on a hotel near the port unless I had enough time before the cruise to enjoy the hotel and surrounding area.  I wouldn't stay near the airport if I had most of the day to explore the area.

Edited by TNcruising02

5 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I would stay near the airport if arriving late, but stay near the port if arriving early.  I've done both.  I have also used shuttles, cabs, and uber.  The hotel that I stayed at near the port was InterContinental and it is very nice.  The room was large.  We walked around the area during the day and took a cab to the port.

When I stayed near the airport, I took an uber from FLL to a hotel not far from the Miami airport.  The next day I took the hotel's shuttle to the port.  At the end of the cruise, I took an uber back to FLL.  My flight in arrived at night, so I didn't feel the need to spend as much on a hotel.

Yes, uber is very easy in Miami.  I would not hesitate to use it again.  The hotel decision would come down to how early I would arrive the day before the cruise.  I wouldn't waste the money on a hotel near the port unless I had enough time before the cruise to enjoy the hotel and surrounding area.  I wouldn't stay near the airport if I had most of the day to explore the area.

I know the flight schedules are better if we flew into FLL.  Do you find it easy to get an Uber from there to Miami? Should I pre-book the Uber? Do you happen to remember which hotel offered the shuttle to the pier?

41 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I know the flight schedules are better if we flew into FLL.  Do you find it easy to get an Uber from there to Miami? Should I pre-book the Uber? Do you happen to remember which hotel offered the shuttle to the pier?

It was one of the Hampton Inns.  I think the fee was around $10 per person for the shuttle from the hotel to the port.

We did not pre-book the ubers.  When I used Uber from FLL to our Miami hotel I just opened the App
after we got off of the plane and put in our hotel address.  It was very easy.  After the cruise, I opened the App after we got through customs at the Miami port, it only took the driver 5 minutes to get there.  It was actually much easier than using a shuttle and much cheaper than a cab.

Edited by TNcruising02

Typical wait for Uber/Lyft from either MIA or POM is usually about 5 or so minutes.

unless you are arriving late and just want a room opt to stay downtown.  Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Doubletree, various Marriott properties and the Intercontinental are often suggested.  All will be about an $18 ride from the airport. Another $8-10 ride will get you to the port.

Just use Uber/Lyft. Plenty in Miami, small wait times. 

I've been reading this forum, trying to make a similar decision about a 1 night hotel prior to Miami departure (from Terminal J ;-) I have never cruised out of Florida. I haven't noticed very many people asking about Miami Beach hotels - is there a reason? I've been making notes as I read different opinions - my husband and I seem drawn to hotels in Miami Beach, though Brickell might make more sense. I wish I could tell if the Hyatt Centric has good enough views - it's not waterfront so I worry about obstructed views....

Many of the Miami Beach hotels are smaller, more expensive, and farther from the airport and port compared to downtown hotels, but if you have never visited and want to see the "Miami" often shown in the movies and on TV then choose South Beach.

In Miami there is a flat rate for taxis from the airport into downtown/near cruise port.

Sometimes it is just quicker to grab a cab than to play with the uber/lyft app.

It all depends on the time you arrive and how busy everything is at that time.

You don't pre book uber/lyft . You call the cars when you land.

The flat rate for taxis, including mini van and SUV cabs, between MIA & POM is $27+tip unless it has recently changed.

20 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Many of the Miami Beach hotels are smaller, more expensive, and farther from the airport and port compared to downtown hotels, but if you have never visited and want to see the "Miami" often shown in the movies and on TV then choose South Beach.

We haven't been to Miami in ages and are arriving fairly early the day prior to a cruise - seems fun for us to stay in a "more interesting" area and enjoy a little exploring. I had guessed it might be the $/distance for some of those hotels (though right now the Hyatt Centric and Intercontinental are quite a bit more than the Mondrian, so....)