Cruise Critic Community
Unibok

A-Mused in A-laska, Seward to Vancouver, 27 May to 6 June 2019

9 hours ago, Unibok said:

So this happened today on an excursion in Ketchikan. We did an independent tour with Ryan McCue of Alaska Seaplane Tours. There were 6 passengers in the plane (I got to sit up front next to the pilot!!!), and we spent about 2 hours in the plane. After journeying over some mountains and across fjords in the Misty Fjords Monument area, Ryan set the plane down on the water after spotting a bear munching on some grass. Earlier in the day, we had visited the Totem Heritage Center, which was a short walk from downtown. That was our favorite museum so far,.

Wonderful added details, especially as to how your seaplane/bear adventure that worked so well.  Sounds great!!  Loving the pictures and sharing.  Looking excellent.  Especially for the pictures from the glacier, zodiac, seals, etc.  Nice and fun!!

Earlier I had asked about your picture uploading challenges. What size of pictures are you trying to do? For the pictures taken with my Nikon D7200. they are very large at 24mp, shot in RAW, etc. But, that's why I reduce that size significantly before doing any uploads to the Internet and Cruise Critic. Any added details as to what you are using to upload that is so slow?  Later as you are doing your sailing down to Vancouver, maybe you will have more time to respond.  Or, ask more of the Silver Muse IT person to suggest to improve posting/uploading speeds?

What will be happening today for Prince Rupert during your 8 am-6 pm timing there?  Our late July cruise does not stop there. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Sydney to NZ/Auckland Adventure, live/blog 2014 sampling/details with many exciting visuals and key highlights.  On page 23, post #571, see a complete index for all of the pictures, postings.  Now at 220,783 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

Photos are between 2 and 4 mbs. I do know that I can save them in other formats to reduce the file size, but when I'm on vacation I don't really want to fiddle around with that. I'm sorry that it means shorter reports and fewer illustrations. Maybe I'll do better next time, if I practice reducing file size at home first.

I should have also mentioned that as we step off the float plane, we saw 3 more whales, and then just as our tender neared the ship, we saw a pod of 4 doing a ballet of rolling and flukes. Ketchikan may have a lot of people when the ships are in town, but it also had a lot of wildlife. And then there's this tip from our van driver: if you really want to see a bear, head to the town landfill; they love it there.

Let me go back a few days to Wrangell. Like Haines, Wrangell is a cute little town that functions well as a gateway to active excursions (none of which we went on, as we had a quiet day walking around). We visited their local history museum, which packs a lot of history into an impressive space. That evening was formal night, and we dined in Indochine at a table for 6 with one couple we had not yet met, and another with whom we had shared an excursion. Prior to that was the Venetian Society cocktail reception, with 4 new inductees to the 100-days club, and the most days at sea in the 1700 range. Those with 50 days were given lapel pins. 

That's it for now. My best wishes to all of you,

IMG_3599.jpg

Awesome photo and bear story! You're very fortunate. Glad to hear you discovered the Totem Heritage Center. We loved it! One of the very few worthwhile places in Ketchikan proper. 

4 hours ago, Unibok said:

Photos are between 2 and 4 mbs. I do know that I can save them in other formats to reduce the file size, but when I'm on vacation I don't really want to fiddle around with that. I'm sorry that it means shorter reports and fewer illustrations. Maybe I'll do better next time, if I practice reducing file size at home first.  I should have also mentioned that as we step off the float plane, we saw 3 more whales, and then just as our tender neared the ship, we saw a pod of 4 doing a ballet of rolling and flukes. Ketchikan may have a lot of people when the ships are in town, but it also had a lot of wildlife. And then there's this tip from our van driver: if you really want to see a bear, head to the town landfill; they love it there.

More great info, details and follow-up about your Alaska adventure.  Nice, fun bear picture!!  Glad to hear the must-see potentials with the Totem Heritage Center in Ketchikan from JohnGINPBG.  

On picture sizing, appreciate these added details.  My guess is that when you are saying 2-4 mbs, you mean 2-4 megapixels.  Not huge, but still, kind of, somewhat large.  When I shoot pictures with my Nikon D7200 in RAW, it produces a 6000 × 4000 image on my laptop that totals 24.0 MP.  Very, very large for each picture's file size, especially if you need to upload from a cruise ship!  

After reviewing, editing and fine-tuning of the pictures on my laptop, I then do an "export" of those priority, "best of the best" pictures that I want to upload.  That makes each picture be only about 200-350 KB in size.  Much, much smaller, but still looking good when posted on Cruise Critic.  Since there is a smaller file for each picture to be uploaded, the process works faster and better when seeking to post on these CC Boards.  Hopefully others doing Silversea Alaska cruises can let us know how their "process" efforts work.  Will keep researching and planning.  

THANKS for the nice posting from Unibok and others.  Keep it coming!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Early 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through Panama Canal.  Our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Now at 26,791 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Chiming in from St. Rupert, Canada, today. Another adorable gateway-to-adventure town, our 3rd of this voyage. We walked around the town this morning after waking late. Based on how many others were late for breakfast, we think the 1-hour time change encouraged others to sleep in as well.

07F64946-FE24-4ED6-BFF2-5FF4BE249584.thumb.jpeg.4df372f28bb85076eb55bcb46485b132.jpeg

Our favorite aspect of St. Rupert is the public art. There are murals all over town depicting local and nautical life. It makes for a very photogenic little town.

We returned to Kaisecki for lunch today, and the sushi was perfect this time. The staff had encouraged us to try again, and we are so glad we did. JohnGin, we have had the same reaction to the chopsticks as you did. Our most modest hole-in-the-wall eateries at home use re-usable ones, so it seems odd for Silversea’s to be so cheap. The food, however, was superb.

1 hour ago, Unibok said:

ohnGin, we have had the same reaction to the chopsticks as you did. Our most modest hole-in-the-wall eateries at home use re-usable ones, so it seems odd for Silversea’s to be so cheap.

Most definitely. I'm going to write to Silversea with my thoughts. If you're going to offer high-end Asian dining, decent chopsticks are a must. Al least they didn't pass out fortune cookies!

Hi to Unibok and Company!!  Anything new from those on the Silver Muse?  Inquiring minds want to know!! Did you arrive this morning in Vancouver?  Looking forward to hearing more, seeing added visuals!!  Appreciate ALL of these fun and interesting posts.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Athens & Greece: Many visuals, details from two visits in a city with great history, culture and architecture.  Now at 30,902 views.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1101008