Cruise Critic Community
aryavibhu

When /Where to book less than $1000pp South American Cruise (12-16 days)

Hello, I'm looking to find a best way to book the south american (covering argentina, chile etc). Please advise - when & where to book. I do not want to spend more than $1000 pp.

Is it too late to book one in my range for this year's dec /new year holidays? 

Thanks, 

Posted (edited)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. If you are looking for cruise only pricing for 12-16 days it will be difficult to find anything for less than $1,000 pp during the Holiday's you refer to with anyone - this year or any year for that matter.  That is one of the most peak travel periods relative to cost and you are looking for a long itinerary as well.  I highly doubt you will find anything close to the budget you are trying to hit.  And if you need to include airfare to get to your departure port, that will be extra and costly at that time of year as well.

My suggestion would be to contact a travel agent and work with them to see what options you would have, but I would predict that you will need to increase your budget rather significantly to find that type of itinerary at that Holiday period.

Good luck. 

Edited by leaveitallbehind

BTW, I just did a quick check and Azamara has a 13 night SA / Argentina cruise departing on 12/6/19 starting at $1,874 pp and a 15 night Holiday cruise departing on 12/21/19 starting at $3,749 pp.

MSC has 8 night SA / Argentina itineraries - but nothing longer - departing on 12/11/19 starting at $1,139 pp and 12/24/19 Holiday cruise starting at $2,599 pp.

Not going to be easy to find what you are looking for I'm afraid.

Check MSC, there are several that are in that duration window.  They are just a bit over your budget though but not much.  As has been said, call a TA.

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Check MSC, there are several that are in that duration window.  They are just a bit over your budget though but not much.  As has been said, call a TA.

I stand corrected on the duration, however the 12/24/19 departure that is for 16 nights from Argentina is $2,359 - about 2-1/2 times  the OP's target budget.  The 12/26/19 departure is only 10 nights and is $1,429 - still considerably over budget and 2 - 6 days less than their desired itinerary length.

As said, the OP is not likely to find anything close to his budget in that region at that time frame and desired itinerary length.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

BTW, I just did a quick check and Azamara has a 13 night SA / Argentina cruise departing on 12/6/19 starting at $1,874 pp and a 15 night Holiday cruise departing on 12/21/19 starting at $3,749 pp.

MSC has 8 night SA / Argentina itineraries - but nothing longer - departing on 12/11/19 starting at $1,139 pp and 12/24/19 Holiday cruise starting at $2,599 pp.

Not going to be easy to find what you are looking for I'm afraid.

Don't forget the airfare!

Welcome to Cruise critic, I doubt you will get any cruise for under $1k pp covering Chile and Argentina. Perhaps, check out a land tour that does what you wish.

Thanks again. Question: Is there a good time in the year when we get decent deals? Last year around thanksgiving I noticed good deals for a couple of days but I missed it 😞

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Don't forget the airfare!

...mentioned in my first post as an additional cost depending on where the OP is.  And if needed, depending on where they live, at that time of the year likely to equal or exceed their cruise budget.

1 minute ago, aryavibhu said:

Thanks again. Question: Is there a good time in the year when we get decent deals? Last year around thanksgiving I noticed good deals for a couple of days but I missed it 😞

Depending on region, whatever the seasons are that will have schools out for family travel and the major Holidays will always be a premium.  Whatever the off season is where family travel is less likely and Holidays aren't present will be the times when pricing will be at its' lowest.

A travel agent can assist with that as well.

At the very top of CruiseCritic, there is a header “Find a Cruise”. Plug in your destination and month, and see if anything looks good. Anything less than $100pp per day will be rare for SA, but you might find something you like for a little more.

5 hours ago, aryavibhu said:

Hello, I'm looking to find a best way to book the south american (covering argentina, chile etc). Please advise - when & where to book. I do not want to spend more than $1000 pp.

Is it too late to book one in my range for this year's dec /new year holidays? 

Thanks, 

Check Costa - they usually have a couple of sailings from Barcelona or Marseille to Brazil/Argentina for under $1000 for about 15 days. You have to figure air fare, etc getting there and getting home.  I very much doubt you could find what you seem to be looking for for much less than $2500 pp all in.

It probably can be done with a little luck and the right time of year, but you will have to do some serious searching.  Over the holidays--I don't think it is possible.

Very good rates can be found often on cruises starting in L.A. and ending in Santiago.  It's harder if you want to do the Argentina to Chile route.

I always start by looking at several of the big internet cruise sites, watching prices for a few weeks and also the site that lets travel agents bid a cruise you are interested in.  I have a TA I often use as well and will run my wants past him.

Besides airfare, tours on these routes can be very pricey; we found better deals on independent tours, but it still wasn't cheap.

9 hours ago, aryavibhu said:

November seems to be a good sale month.

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

MSC is also fairly low cost wise.

Note the MSC examples given in posts #3 & 5.  Lower than other examples but still way out of the OP's budget target.

Posted (edited)

Perhaps a late booking inside cabin.  A late booking trip after US Thanksgiving and before Christmas.   Or March.

Air might be the issue though.

Edited by iancal

20 minutes ago, iancal said:

Perhaps a late booking inside cabin.  A late booking trip after US Thanksgiving and before Christmas.   Or March.

Air might be the issue though.

Good suggestions, but with the OP's target specifically of the Holidays with 12-16 nights SA / Argentina at under $1,000 pp - just isn't likely to happen under any circumstances.  Any reduced cost alternative will not check any of those boxes.

9 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Note the MSC examples given in posts #3 & 5.  Lower than other examples but still way out of the OP's budget target.

I doubt any cruise will be in that budget though.