Is sargassum seaweed an issue in Roatan?

Bahbert

I just got back from a cruise to Mexico, where sargassum is washing up on shore and creating a mess. My wife and I will be in Roatan in September of this year, so I was wondering if the seaweed has been a problem on the beaches there at all. We were in Roatan in January 2018 and I loved snorkeling in West Bay. I am considering trying someplace else on the island this time but want to see if anyone with recent experience on Roatan might chime in on this issue before I book something.

It doesn't seem to be as bad as mainland Mexico.

I was searching this on Trip Advisor and if you go to Roatan and search sargassum searching in date order you will find some discussions - some in West Bay and West End.

However I did find this general, quite detailed, review which may be of interest generally and which I will bookmark

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k12450028-Roatan_Trip_Report_March_23_30_West_Bay-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 3:00 PM, c-leg5 said:

It doesn't seem to be as bad as mainland Mexico.

I was searching this on Trip Advisor and if you go to Roatan and search sargassum searching in date order you will find some discussions - some in West Bay and West End.

However I did find this general, quite detailed, review which may be of interest generally and which I will bookmark

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g292019-i4482-k12450028-Roatan_Trip_Report_March_23_30_West_Bay-Roatan_Bay_Islands.html

Good info. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I have only see it be an issue one time and that was on a cruise during the month of September.  I'm really hoping it's not an issue when I go there this September.  I will say the workers were out cleaning the beach the entire time we were there.  Regretfully we couldn't snorkel because it was too dark under the seaweed.  I've been there several times during October, March and April and never had an issue.

Edited by RoadTripFanatic
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...