Australian Electronic Passport

jshli

I see on the website to apply for an Australian electronic passport, it asks if you have been known by any other names. Am I correct in assuming that I should answer yes and give my maiden name? 

2 hours ago, jshli said:

I see on the website to apply for an Australian electronic passport, it asks if you have been known by any other names. Am I correct in assuming that I should answer yes and give my maiden name? 

To avoid confusion I would just use name on your passport. Fee should be 9.95 US

Just to be clear, if you are a US citizen traveling to Australia for tourism, you are applying for an Electronic Travel Authority.  (There is no such thing as an Australian Electronic Passport).   You should apply on the official Australian government website,  https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas and not some 3rd party website.  The cost is A$ 20 (which comes to about US$ 14.) 

Edited by GradUT

On 5/27/2019 at 1:02 PM, GradUT said:

Just to be clear, if you are a US citizen traveling to Australia for tourism, you are applying for an Electronic Travel Authority.  (There is no such thing as an Australian Electronic Passport).   You should apply on the official Australian government website,  https://www.eta.homeaffairs.gov.au/ETAS3/etas and not some 3rd party website.  The cost is A$ 20 (which comes to about US$ 14.) 

Thank you just what I was looking for.

Sometimes those 3rd party sites look very official and add extra costs

Chris

On 5/28/2019 at 12:02 AM, GradUT said:

Thanks for clarifying this for our tourist friends. It is too easy to be ripped off by various visa "services". It seems that most things on top of Google searches are in this category.  I tend to be very sceptical if anything that shows up with the small AD tag attached. There's are websites that pet to be on the first search results..

I know many people use 3rd party websites that charge less to get their ETAs.  However, the official Australian government website, unlike 3rd party websites, are required to protect the privacy of the information that you provide, e.g. everything on your passport, your credit card info, etc. 

51 minutes ago, GradUT said:

I know many people use 3rd party websites that charge less to get their ETAs.  However, the official Australian government website, unlike 3rd party websites, are required to protect the privacy of the information that you provide, e.g. everything on your passport, your credit card info, etc. 

I don't understand why anyone would use a third party website to obtain their ETA just to save a few dollars. Surely their private information is more important than that. 

Leigh