Can I tag along thru Priority Boarding?

All of the conversation is only an issue if you  arrive at port prior to the ship opening for boarding.   There is huge rush to board, but honestly the process  between the first priority boarding group  and the last general boarding is maybe 15 minutes. If boarding open at 11:30 and you  arrive at noon, then  your entire party can board tougher. 

enjoy

M

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 1:25 PM, Beav1279 said:

Thank you for the suggestion! I wasn't sure if I could request a wheelchair or not. My mom doesn't use a walker or cane but after her knee replacement, she has to take it slower than she used to. I worry about her walking all the way from the terminal to the ship without a break. Do I call the terminal beforehand? Or just request one when we arrive? Thanks!

When we went to Alaska, my son broke his foot 3 weeks before we left and was in a cast.  When we got to the terminal, we just asked if we could get a wheelchair for my son and they came right over with one.  Now we were not anywhere near the first to board the ship and there was no one in the terminal at all, but it sure was nice for my son to not have to "crutch" his way onto the ship.

I can’t understand why anyone would care if you went with them.   If you’re all in there terminal it’s not as if the ship is leaving without you. 🤣

a family that cruises together is a happy family  

Has anyone ever asked and been told no?

Or has anyone that did not have status been denied earlier boarding when it was pointed out they were traveling with others with the status?

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

Yeah, I agree with that too.  Best not to stress over things either way, IMO.  

Exactly.  You are starting your vacation the moment you drop your bags and head into the terminal.  No need to stress over a few minutes.  

And the funny thing...as much as so many pax want to be the first to board the ship, those same pax are fighting to be the first OFF the ship.  🙄

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Tasm3n said:

Thank you for asking this question.  I was wondering myself how this would work when we are boarding for our Liberty of the Seas cruise in July 2020.  We have a 2 bedroom grand suite and my aunt is in the regular room next to us.  I was hoping she might be able to board with us as we have been able to have non-suite guests board with us on other cruise lines.  

Why can't you just stay with her in the non-suite area and board together?  That's what I do with friends or relatives that are non-suite.  It's only a few minutes difference anyway.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

All of the conversation is only an issue if you  arrive at port prior to the ship opening for boarding.   There is huge rush to board, but honestly the process  between the first priority boarding group  and the last general boarding is maybe 15 minutes. If boarding open at 11:30 and you  arrive at noon, then  your entire party can board tougher. 

enjoy

M

Exactly.  🙂 

On 5/28/2019 at 11:44 AM, TinkBellaMom said:

The crew member said to follow along and we did.  So helpful when you are trying to manage elderly parents and luggage.  I think some situations require a bit of understanding, we would wait our turn if it was just the 2 of us.

Yes. Some situations do call for understanding. Clearly a lot of people here have no compassion.  Never ceases to amaze me. 

Last year my family went to Disney. My father,78 years old, underestimated the walking distance to a particular location. He was being stubborn and thought he was up for the walk.  While he made it there, we knew he would have a difficult time making it back. 

We had to go get him a scooter.  Rule was the rider had to be there, but it was so far to walk all the way to the park entrance.  So I went to have my father sign the paperwork (wink wink nod nod) and was on my way with the scooter shortly thereafter. 

Unanticipated difficulty that required kindness and understanding.  And yes we were also permitted to go along with him in a couple of lines where he needed help transferring into ride vehicles. 

I'm going to jump back into the fire. A few folks seem to think I'm unfeeling and have no compassion. Maybe it was the way I was raised. My mother was handicapped as a child, but if you so much as even thought about treating her special or try to give her special treatment, she'd give you the eye and not speak to you for a few hours. All she ever wanted was to be treated normally. Even in her 80's, if we were somewhere and offered to get her a chair or a scooter,,,, OMG,, I still get the shakes at what she would do.

Why does the question come up that "Can I join in the priority lane?" rather than, "Will there be any problems if mom and dad check in with us in the normal lane even if they have Priority status?"

To Me,,,, the difference in the way the question is phrased means hey, I want the benefit that mom and dad has even though I haven't earned it.

Or, it could mean, hey, I don't want to drag my family thru a priority line that I haven't earned but still want to help my folks.

In the second instance, I would probably be the first to say thanks for thinking of others before thinking of yourself. Please, when you get to the dock, a polite discussion with someone will probably put your entire family thru the priority line. Enjoy your cruise.

30 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Yes. Some situations do call for understanding. Clearly a lot of people here have no compassion.  Never ceases to amaze me. 

Last year my family went to Disney. My father,78 years old, underestimated the walking distance to a particular location. He was being stubborn and thought he was up for the walk.  While he made it there, we knew he would have a difficult time making it back. 

We had to go get him a scooter.  Rule was the rider had to be there, but it was so far to walk all the way to the park entrance.  So I went to have my father sign the paperwork (wink wink nod nod) and was on my way with the scooter shortly thereafter. 

Unanticipated difficulty that required kindness and understanding.  And yes we were also permitted to go along with him in a couple of lines where he needed help transferring into ride vehicles. 

Not to get too preachy, but sometimes compassion comes along when you find yourself in a position of needing the compassion.  In the last year I have needed crutches,walker,wheelchair and electric scooter.  Then, we were dealing with the problems of aging parents and getting around.  It makes you realize that some situations just require someone to help solve the problem and  not worry so much about the “rules”.

I do feel for those that have mobility issues...had to do three cruises with a broken foot.  😞  Actually broke my foot first night on Brilliance...not the way you want to start a one week cruise.  Then had two more booked immediately afterwards in the next few weeks.  😮 

The original subject is not special help for those with issues...that should be a standard and help should be offered and asked for.  The crew members will happily help you, have seen it and received it.  

The issue I see,.... is what is the difference if you board a few minutes earlier than others?  Still going to have the same distance to the ship.  The point is staying together...can still be done in the non-suite or lower C&A levels.   You will all get on the ship at some point, it's no big deal.    

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, legaljen1969 said:

Well the OP never mentioned someone needing help in the first place, that aspect just came much later into the discussion. 

The initial Question was About Tagging along.

Asking for compassion and understanding is one Thing, but what About the People asking? Shouldn´t their Question be - My parents are in a JS and we are in a regular balcony. As I understand it they would be entitled to piority Boarding. My Mom might Need some help during Boarding, would it be a Problem for them to tag along through the regular line, so I can help?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I do feel for those that have mobility issues...had to do three cruises with a broken foot.  😞  Actually broke my foot first night on Brilliance...not the way you want to start a one week cruise.  Then had two more booked immediately afterwards in the next few weeks.  😮 

The original subject is not special help for those with issues...that should be a standard and help should be offered and asked for.  The crew members will happily help you, have seen it and received it.  

The issue I see,.... is what is the difference if you board a few minutes earlier than others?  Still going to have the same distance to the ship.  The point is staying together...can still be done in the non-suite or lower C&A levels.   You will all get on the ship at some point, it's no big deal.    

Agree the OP made no mention of anything to due with age or a disability.  Only wanting to tag along the same time as their parents that are in a JS. 

Edited by davekathy

OP are you talking about "check in" or "boarding"?  Two different things.  The only thing that really seems to count is check in; that is where you would save time versus "general" line; but once actual boarding starts it goes very, very quickly

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Agree the OP made no mention of anything to due with age or a disability.  Only wanting to tag along the same time as their parents that are in a JS. 

Yup, thanks!  I knew a fellow Royal DS would see the real issue.  🙂    Though we of the club are allowed to board anytime we want, plus we have our own private waiting lounge with caviar and champagne.   🥂  Actually no real hurry to board at all!  😄 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

OP are you talking about "check in" or "boarding"?  Two different things.  The only thing that really seems to count is check in; that is where you would save time versus "general" line; but once actual boarding starts it goes very, very quickly

have priority boarding. Can DH and I tag along with them or do we have to wait? 

On 5/30/2019 at 8:24 AM, SRF said:

Has anyone ever asked and been told no?

Or has anyone that did not have status been denied earlier boarding when it was pointed out they were traveling with others with the status?

I was told no twice but now I use option B. workers at port Everglades are not really nice but I understand them do to their age and actitud most of them rarely smile, big contrast to port of Miami 

On 5/30/2019 at 6:25 AM, island lady said:

Why can't you just stay with her in the non-suite area and board together?  That's what I do with friends or relatives that are non-suite.  It's only a few minutes difference anyway.  

If we need to, we may.  But that doesn't answer my initial question either.  No harm in asking a question (which I think someone else already stated).  

On 5/31/2019 at 5:35 PM, Tasm3n said:

If we need to, we may.  But that doesn't answer my initial question either.  No harm in asking a question (which I think someone else already stated).  

Your problem at Galveston will be security, not check-in.

Let us know how it goes.