The Edge Invinate Veranada warning

tapemann

19 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If the sun is up, I’m up.  No big deal to me. 

Agree.  I am an early riser too.  My wife is not.  My daily solution is to leave the cabin and go for a walk and have morning coffee in Cafe al Bacio.  A little later I take one back to her when I know she will be awake.  This is one work around to the Walmart shower curtain solution that works for us anyway.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Not sure how to put this but I do think that somewhere in the process something went wrong with Edge. It is like no one who had a practical / realistic mind looked at the plans to see if there could be potential issues. ...

Can you believe that the Edge cabins were designed by someone who never was on a cruise ship?  And Celebrity was proud of this oversight.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jelayne said:

Celebrity has heard the concerns and on another thread about changes it was reported that they were going to do a trial with frosted glass on the bi-fold doors.

Our IV Cabin had the bed by the balcony and this was my solution.  It worked great and we are taking it on our other cruises as it would allow opening the veranda drape more so I could get ready in the a.m. while DH sleeps.

Am I being dense when I ask what use the frosted glass is as it would annoy me as I would want to see the sea when it is closed and I was the on left inside. The frosted glass will stop that. I thought this issue is more to do with the blind not being where the doors are

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Am I being dense when I ask what use the frosted glass is as it would annoy me as I would want to see the sea when it is closed and I was the on left inside. The frosted glass will stop that. I thought this issue is more to do with the blind not being where the doors are

Totally agree.  The frosted glass idea is dumb and doesn't solve any problem - just takes away from the view.  We loved the IV.  It extended the cabin's useable space in air conditioned comfort.  The window was easy to open when desired.  

The frosted glass will be welcome to us, as we only plan to close them when we are getting dressed and want visual privacy in our cabin. Otherwise the bifold window doors will be kept open.

We also both always sleep with eye masks. Best. Sleep. Ever. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073LQNRN1/

So sunlight streaming in with the blind up will never be an issue.

I would have hated to have to close the IV blind and darken the room totally in order to get dressed each day. The frosted bifolds will fix that.

Edited by DebInAntigua

Kelly Hoppen had never cruised before the Edge gig, but has now. I think the misconception is that she likely had little or nothing to do with the overall IV design (at least that was my impression from the press releases that I have read), but did the interior design. I'm not sure if some of her design ideas had to be modified (for example, I would guess that she wanted lovely curtains - it seems to be her MO), but there wasn't room once that king bed was in place).  A quote from her from an early press release (bolding is mine):

"I've never been on a cruise - it's just never been on my radar - but also partly because on a cruise, you won't necessarily have all of the comforts you might have in a hotel or your home, such as a powerful shower or a particularly comfortable bed,” Ms Hoppen told Telegraph Travel.

But designing the interiors for Celebrity Edge has opened up a whole new world of travelling for me and I'd definitely go on this ship. It will bring in a new audience to the cruising industry, as well as cater to the existing ones who just want to try something completely different and new, which is key.”

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Globehoppers said:

And you know this how?  Otherwise; fake news!

Kelly Hoppen's lack of cruise experience is widely known.  Perhaps you should go back and read some of the background info on the Edge.

• Like 4

Hope it isn't too late to make some changes to the apex and future Edge ships.  Now is the time.  Consider the Infinite Veranda's on the edge as a beta test!  Celebrity-please listen to the guests.  Or immediately make the price of the infinite veranda's the same as a "deluxe" window cabin.

Many have compared the IV to the river cruise ships' French Balcony - it is not a new idea (not a Hoppen idea 🙂), they just put a new spin on it and called it a name that likely led to misconceptions. It was never designed to be like a conventional balcony as they were going for something different  - unfortunately, their first attempt at execution was less than perfect, though many liked the concept. We will see how it evolves - with what they have invested, my guess is that they will improve it and it will end of being enjoyed by many, but certainly isn't for everyone. It wouldn't be my first choice as I prefer the open balcony, but if that was all that was open on a desired itinerary with a good price, I would happily book one.

https://www.rivercruiseadvisor.com/2014/05/river-cruise-windows-balconies-defined/

(the 4th picture down on the right hand side looks most like the IV concept)

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

I would have hated to have to close the IV blind and darken the room totally in order to get dressed each day. The frosted bifolds will fix that.

I couldn’t agree more! I was extremely annoyed by this very thing. We found that even in the middle of the Atlantic, a freighter would suddenly hove into view on occasion.

19 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Or immediately make the price of the infinite veranda's the same as a "deluxe" window cabin.

Have you sailed in an IV cabin? I have, and IMO it offers more, and is therefore worth more than an OV (but not worth more than a regular veranda cabin such as those on S class). If nothing else, the much maligned IV cabin veranda offers more useable cabin space than an OV when the bifold doors are open. It also offers an opening window instead of a fixed window. 

• Like 2

Um ..... please forgive me if i sound a bit pretentious  and i haven't been on the Edge yet but surely a little thing called a sleep mask would block out the light for anyone who doesn't want to be disturbed by the sudden explosion of light?   

59 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Hope it isn't too late to make some changes to the apex and future Edge ships.  Now is the time.  Consider the Infinite Veranda's on the edge as a beta test!  Celebrity-please listen to the guests.  Or immediately make the price of the infinite veranda's the same as a "deluxe" window cabin.

Too late for the Apex, 😡 hopefully changes to future ships.

39 minutes ago, fizzy1 said:

Um ..... please forgive me if i sound a bit pretentious  and i haven't been on the Edge yet but surely a little thing called a sleep mask would block out the light for anyone who doesn't want to be disturbed by the sudden explosion of light?   

I have had to wear  a sleep mask for a eye problem for the past 2 months and it is driving me crazy.  I haven’t has a good nights sleep since I started wearing it.  So for those who can sleep comfortably it is a solution, but not for everyone. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jelayne said:

I have had to wear  a sleep mask for a eye problem for the past 2 months and it is driving me crazy.  I haven’t has a good nights sleep since I started wearing it.  So for those who can sleep comfortably it is a solution, but not for everyone. 

I understand that . I  remember seeing the first tv documentary  on the making of the Edge and thinking, as i saw the staterooms, what!!! No curtains !!!  

6 hours ago, bigbeergut said:

Kelly Hoppen's lack of cruise experience is widely known.  Perhaps you should go back and read some of the background info on the Edge.

6 hours ago, WestLakeGirl said:

globehopper, do your research before you start thowing out accusations

Having served as a senior executive I seriously doubt Ms Hoppen made decisions in a vacuum, without consultation, and without numerous mockups of cabins.  Unless you know otherwise, of course.  Like I said, I think the IV is a great innovation.  Some of the things on the rest of the ship, not so much (what is it with the silicon forest near Blu?).  Do have some experience at sea: first cruise I recall was a transatlantic in 1949.  Have cruised most of the great ocean liners: USS United States, USS America, the older Queens and numerous other ocean liners in addition to cruising the latest cruise ships.  Dislike the Oasis of the Seas class, fond of the R-class ships used by Azamara and Oceania.  Oh, and 8 years at seas with he USN!

Edited by Globehoppers

21 minutes ago, Globehoppers said:

Having served as a senior executive I seriously doubt Ms Hoppen made decisions in a vacuum, without consultation, and without numerous mockups of cabins.  Unless you know otherwise, of course.  Like I said, I think the IV is a great innovation.  Some of the things on the rest of the ship, not so much (what is it with the silicon forest near Blu?).  Do have some experience at sea: first cruise I recall was a transatlantic in 1949.  Have cruised most of the great ocean liners: USS United States, USS America, the older Queens and numerous other ocean liners in addition to cruising the latest cruise ships.  Dislike the Oasis of the Seas class, fond of the R-class ships used by Azamara and Oceania.  Oh, and 8 years at seas with he USN!

Yes, I know otherwise.  I've experienced the IV balconies and they are not a great innovation.  I have no idea how many mock-ups they did with the IV balconies and the furniture, but if they did mock-ups they ignored the advice.  The balcony is too small to be used as a regular balcony or have a conventional table for meals on the balcony.  It was a mistake to base this design on the thoughts from someone that never was on a cruise ship.  Unbelievable.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Kelly Hoppen had never cruised before the Edge gig, but has now. I think the misconception is that she likely had little or nothing to do with the overall IV design (at least that was my impression from the press releases that I have read), but did the interior design. I'm not sure if some of her design ideas had to be modified (for example, I would guess that she wanted lovely curtains - it seems to be her MO), but there wasn't room once that king bed was in place).  A quote from her from an early press release (bolding is mine):

"I've never been on a cruise - it's just never been on my radar - but also partly because on a cruise, you won't necessarily have all of the comforts you might have in a hotel or your home, such as a powerful shower or a particularly comfortable bed,” Ms Hoppen told Telegraph Travel.

But designing the interiors for Celebrity Edge has opened up a whole new world of travelling for me and I'd definitely go on this ship. It will bring in a new audience to the cruising industry, as well as cater to the existing ones who just want to try something completely different and new, which is key.”

We like the IV concept...but the  space on the veranda and inside the cabin  was too small and too narrow;  the bed was too large for the space ; and overall  execution of the IV concept was  not well done.

Most hotels we stay at have comfy beds, great showers and much nicer interior design.,,,Her IV cabin style  is IKEA  bland, no frills , nothing hi end and just not our style, but the ship offers much more....

Overall we liked the ship and many spaces and will return to EDGE and also try APEX.  Hopefully,  future cabin  design and colors will change a bit to the lively side!

Kelly Hoppen gets most of the comments here but there were many interior designers involved in all aspects of Edge according to this Forbes article.  These interior designers did not design the overall ship or the engineering for the IV cabins.  There were several architectural engineering firms involved as well as teams from corporate RCI and Celebrity.  And of course the shipyard.  This has all been reported here on these boards continuously. And often.  RCI and Celebrity management had the final say on everything.  So to continuously comment that Edge was designed by people who had never been on a cruise ship is a bit of a simplification to help justify the opinions of those who do not like Edge.  There are aspects of Edge that I liked and some I did not but I think she is a beautiful ship overall.  I agree that there are certainly some form over function features but perhaps these are being modified going forward.  Some evidence for that already.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2018/11/29/cutting-edge-celebrity-edge-mixes-w-hotels-cool-with-the-sophistication-of-four-seasons/#14c007053a4a

Edited by TeeRick
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Kelly Hoppen gets most of the comments here but there were many interior designers involved in all aspects of Edge according to this Forbes article.  These interior designers did not design the overall ship or the engineering for the IV cabins.  There were several architectural engineering firms involved as well as teams from corporate RCI and Celebrity.  And of course the shipyard.  This has all been reported here on these boards continuously. And often.  RCI and Celebrity management had the final say on everything.  So to continuously comment that Edge was designed by people who had never been on a cruise ship is a bit of a simplification to help justify the opinions of those who do not like Edge.  There are aspects of Edge that I liked and some I did not but I think she is a beautiful ship overall.  I agree that there are certainly some form over function features but perhaps these are being modified going forward.  Some evidence for that already.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/douggollan/2018/11/29/cutting-edge-celebrity-edge-mixes-w-hotels-cool-with-the-sophistication-of-four-seasons/#14c007053a4a

I'll respectfully disagree with you on Hoppen's role.  She was the lead designer and it was her responsibility to confirm designs were functional.  The IV balcony appeared to be good if the balcony stayed the same size, but it was reduced to a non-functional level and the furniture was compromised to fit the design.  The lack of a curtain on the inner doors failed to recognize how many people use the balcony while their partner remains asleep.  Celebrity management also shares responsible for not understanding how their customers use their cabins and balconies.  But as the lead designer the buck stops with Hoppen.

6 minutes ago, cantstopingcruising said:

gee, is the infinity balcony cabin so terrible?  We usually book insides and this time took an Infinity cabin.

Would you advise us to change back to an inside?

No it's much better than an inside, but it does not as good as a conventional balcony.  If it was better than a regular balcony, they would have used the IV balcony concept with the suites.