Cruise Critic Community
Andrea n steven

Haven and speciality dining charges

We are new to ncl. Mainly been with Disney cruise line. 

We have a haven suite but cant find anywhere that states a limit on how many times are free in the speciality dining restaurants.  Any comments would be gratefully appreciated xx

5 minutes ago, Andrea n steven said:

We have a haven suite but cant find anywhere that states a limit on how many times are free in the speciality dining restaurants.  Any comments would be gratefully appreciated xx

Haven normally comes with all five of the “perks” they offer.  Specialty dining consists of three meals for each person in cabin at the specialty restaurants.  There are a couple that have upcharges (i.e. Ocean Blue), but the rest normally include one entree each, plus unlimited appetizers and desserts.  We used our free meals at Teppanyaki, Cagney’s, and Moderno, and used our OBC at Ocean Blue.  We also loved the Haven restaurant!

Enjoy your trip!

The free at sea only applies to the first 2 in the cabin. If you have more than 2 people in the cabin, they will pay for specialty dining.

39 minutes ago, Andrea n steven said:

None. 

If you have a dining package, that package comes with a number of included specialty meals. 

To add....

The length of the cruise will determine how many SDP meals come with the promo.

Click HERE

(scroll to Specialty Dining Package)

Edited by Two Wheels Only

1 hour ago, GA Dave said:

We used our free meals at Teppanyaki, Cagney’s, and Moderno, and used our OBC at Ocean Blue.  We also loved the Haven restaurant!

We have had fairly indifferent meals at Cagney's in the distant past, and I have seen the odd recent Joy review that wasn't fabulous. What was your experience? I would appreciate your input.

1 hour ago, Two Wheels Only said:

To add....

The length of the cruise will determine how many SDP meals come with the promo.

Click HERE

(scroll to Specialty Dining Package)

Does that mean that if you are in Haven but the free at sea promo isn't on (not that I foresee that EVER happening) then you don't automatically get the dining package?

I assume you still pay gratuity on dining package if it comes with Haven, correct? I'm undecided over whether to add it to my booking or not. I'm in Haven but didn't choose it as a perk as I didn't think it would be worth paying the gratuity plus the package for the 3rd person when we already have Haven restaurant. Now I'm starting to rethink...

11 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Does that mean that if you are in Haven but the free at sea promo isn't on (not that I foresee that EVER happening) then you don't automatically get the dining package?

Correct. You do not "automatically" get the SDP when booking the Haven. You have to select it as a promo. 

12 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I assume you still pay gratuity on dining package if it comes with Haven, correct?

Correct. There used to be no added promo service charge for suite/Haven guests but NCL changed that about 2 years ago. 

17 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I'm in Haven but didn't choose it as a perk as I didn't think it would be worth paying the gratuity plus the package for the 3rd person when we already have Haven restaurant. Now I'm starting to rethink...

I suggest looking at the Specialty Restaurant menus to decide if there is enough interest to make it worth getting the SDP promo (for guests 1&2) then adding the SPD (full price plus 20%) for guest 3. The more likely you are to have meals in the specialty restaurants, the better the SDP (promo plus purchase) will be. 

20 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I assume you still pay gratuity on dining package if it comes with Haven, correct? I'm undecided over whether to add it to my booking or not. I'm in Haven but didn't choose it as a perk as I didn't think it would be worth paying the gratuity plus the package for the 3rd person when we already have Haven restaurant. Now I'm starting to rethink...

Just like any other free at sea, you have the option of taking the dining and beverage package (since they cost money). The message said that the number of SDP dinners is based on number of nights. 

This is different than something like  a RCL Sky class suite where the specialty dining is every night and free. 

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Just like any other free at sea, you have the option of taking the dining and beverage package (since they cost money). The message said that the number of SDP dinners is based on number of nights. 

This is different than something like  a RCL Sky class suite where the specialty dining is every night and free. 

Thanks - makes sense!

When we’ve stayed in the Haven on seven day cruises, the menu in the Haven restaurant didn’t change day to day. So if you think you may want more variety, it may be worth trying out some of the specialty restaurants on board.  But that doesn’t mean you have to go for a specialty dining package, if it’s no longer being offered free or at a discount. If you think you might want to go to a specialty restaurant on just one or two nights, for example, you could just book the restaurant separately.  Just make sure that you put in your reservation early, because the specialty restaurants do tend to book up at peak times. So package or no package, or Haven or no Haven, it can be hard to get a last-minute reservation. 

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, elwood_98034 said:

We have had fairly indifferent meals at Cagney's in the distant past, and I have seen the odd recent Joy review that wasn't fabulous. What was your experience? I would appreciate your input.

Our meal at Cagney's was very good.  I think it helped that the Concierge stopped by our table to say hello while we were ordering our entrees.  The waiter took note and made sure everything came to us on a good pace, but not rushed.  I will say that we enjoyed the prime ribs we ordered in the Haven restaurant more than the steaks we had at Cagney's.  The Haven food we received was superb.

IMG_1311 sm.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:44 PM, fondtravel said:

When we’ve stayed in the Haven on seven day cruises, the menu in the Haven restaurant didn’t change day to day. So if you think you may want more variety, it may be worth trying out some of the specialty restaurants on board.  But that doesn’t mean you have to go for a specialty dining package, if it’s no longer being offered free or at a discount. If you think you might want to go to a specialty restaurant on just one or two nights, for example, you could just book the restaurant separately.  Just make sure that you put in your reservation early, because the specialty restaurants do tend to book up at peak times. So package or no package, or Haven or no Haven, it can be hard to get a last-minute reservation. 

This may help the OP.  This is the dinner menu from the Getaway last fall.

IMG_1520 sm.jpg

IMG_1521 sm.jpg

IMG_1522 sm.jpg

IMG_1523 sm.jpg

10 minutes ago, GA Dave said:

Our meal at Cagney's was very good.  I think it helped that the Concierge stopped by our table to say hello while we were ordering our entrees.  The waiter took note and made sure everything came to us on a good pace, but not rushed.  I will say that we enjoyed the prime ribs we ordered in the Haven restaurant more than the steaks we had at Cagney's.  The Haven food we received was superb.

Good to hear the Haven is just as good as the Specialty Restaurants. My wife and I will be in the Haven in two weeks on the Escape

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

Good to hear the Haven is just as good as the Specialty Restaurants. My wife and I will be in the Haven in two weeks on the Escape

You're going to love it.  Escape is a great ship.

2 hours ago, GA Dave said:

IMG_1311 sm.jpg

Great pic of you and your charming wife, Dave!

Who’s your concierge?

Edited by graphicguy

4 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Great pic of you and your charming wife, Dave!

Who’s your concierge?

It was Anoop (sp?).  I had read a few posts on CC before our trip that people did not find him very helpful, but we thought he was great.  He even got us a table at Ocean Blue toward the end of the cruise when it was showing fully booked.

IMG_1147 sm.jpg

On 5/25/2019 at 9:18 PM, BirdTravels said:

Just an fyi, but it's RCL Star class that gets free specialty dining. Sky is their middle suite class and gets pretty much everything but the genie and free dining/drinks. 

3 hours ago, GA Dave said:

It was Anoop (sp?).  I had read a few posts on CC before our trip that people did not find him very helpful, but we thought he was great.  He even got us a table at Ocean Blue toward the end of the cruise when it was showing fully booked.

IMG_1147 sm.jpg

Thanks, Dave.  Anoop  is outstanding.  Loved him as a concierge.  Glad you guys are having a great time.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:55 PM, ceilidh1 said:

Personally, while the Haven restaurant is great, I couldn’t see only eating there, it will get tiresome as the menu doesn’t change.  The specialty restaurants are really good and offer a different vibe.  I would take the promo, and you could always pay for your 3rd person out of pocket if you didn’t want to buy the package.  In all honesty though, the package is a pretty good deal.  I buy it even if I don’t get it as a perk.

13 hours ago, Laszlo said:

So,,,, if you order the Prime Rib in the Haven Restaurant, it is the exact same Prime Rib that you would pay for in Cagney's. 

That being said, we normally only eat in the Haven Restaurant for dinner a couple of times a cruise,,, then venture out to try other things on the ship. 

I think that we had Anoop on the Breakaway to Bermuda before. He's o.k. We had David on the Escape last year. Enjoy the Haven! And the Escape!

20 hours ago, GA Dave said:

IMG_1520 sm.jpg

IMG_1521 sm.jpg

IMG_1522 sm.jpg

IMG_1523 sm.jpg

Seems a good choice though. Thank you x

On 5/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, GA Dave said:

We had the same on the Escape in December. They were testing out some specials in addition.