Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
6fan

Carnival Jumping ship to Celebrity

Recommended Posts

By default, odds are Carnival will be a younger crowd.  When I talk to 20-25 year old passengers, they often tell me their parents pay for them to come.  One plus to X seems to be the in cabin dining which includes a hot breakfast, better room service options on the menu and to my understanding you can actually order room service from the MDR for dinner.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few more quick questions from a Carnival cruiser looking to jump ship

a) are people allowed to smoke in the casino on Celebrity (I hate smoking period)

b) do they have a serenity-like deck for people who want pure isolation and quiet from the main pool

c) do waiters in the MDR put on entertainment after dinner (FYI - not a big fan but I’ll tolerate it)

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

A few more quick questions from a Carnival cruiser looking to jump ship

a) are people allowed to smoke in the casino on Celebrity (I hate smoking period)

b) do they have a serenity-like deck for people who want pure isolation and quiet from the main pool

c) do waiters in the MDR put on entertainment after dinner (FYI - not a big fan but I’ll tolerate it)

a)  No smoking in the casino on Celebrity. 

b)  They do have an adults only solarium with it's own pool and hot tub which tends to be a much more serene and quiet area than the main pool, but it is not on a separate deck (at least not from what I recall on the Solstice class ships which I have been on more recently; been about five years since I've been on Millenium class and not sure what the current situation is with the revolution of the Millie and Summit)

c)  My last cruise on S-class and the Edge there was no entertainment after dinner from the waiters.

Enjoy Celebrity ☺️

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't add to what others have said.  We've been on 1 Carnival cruise and 2 Celebrity cruises (with 2 more booked).  Celebrity just works better for us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If this helps your decision or adds comfort, our last six cruises were Carnival and we’ve booked our first X cruise, a 10 day S Carib for March 2020. Our “jump off” would have been this March to X on the same 10 day itinerary but work got in the way of that trip so we last-minute booked a spa cabin on Carnival for $90 day p/p for a quick 7 day Mex Riviera. 

 

We’re looking forward to a more adult experience in a more relaxed environment. 

 

We’re also hopeful there aren’t chair hogs on X but I’ll wait to be surprised. 

 

At this stage of vacationing, value is more important than price. With time being more valuable, we just want to have excellent experiences at a reasonable cost. 

 

We’re all in to see how this goes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 8:09 AM, citronella said:

I haven’t sailed on either line but just looked at photos on here of several Carnival and Celebrity buffet and bar patrons. Both cruise line passengers had identical cruise wear - shorts, sandals, capris and tank tops - interchangeable really.

 

As for evening dining, both cruise lines have the same dress codes. Carnival has a reputation of a more party atmosphere and younger crowd and I do believe Celebrity will have an older crowd.  

 

Can’t comment on shows.

 

 

 

 

Photos do not always show the true story...but at least you took the time to look at  some photos.  

 

What cruise line do you sail on?

 

X and Carnival not really interchangeable!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Luckiestmanonearth said:

Thanks for all the excellent replies.  We’re toying with cruising on the Edge next March to Tortola and St Maarten, both places we’ve seen and love

We did this  cruise in January...loved it !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, hcat said:

Photos do not always show the true story...but at least you took the time to look at  some photos.  

 

What cruise line do you sail on?

 

X and Carnival not really interchangeable!

 

 

“A picture is worth a thousand words.”

 

I said the dress of the passengers on both Celebrity and Carnival was interchangeable - both sets of passengers wearing shorts, Tees, sneakers, capris and tank tops.

 

“Affluent or not, many from Carnival, NCL and some from Royal are not into looking chic!” to quote you from a different thread. Very disparaging, to say the least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:59 AM, 6fan said:

I have cruised Carnival a dozen times or so. Have booked Equinox in Oct. AM worried that The dress code might be a problem I am flip flopsd and T-sdhirt kind of guy. I do have shirts with buttons and they are in good shape as I hardly wear them. Wondering how the shows will be as compared to Carnival. Rweason I chose this was a visit ti Tortolaso I hope all goes well.

This IS serious, right? T shirts/shorts are allowed during breakfast/lunch, but not at night except in the buffet. Flip flops( the cheap ones you see at the beach) are not allowed. Some leeway may be made on first & last night. I recommend looking at the dress codes listed on the website,, as they will give the do's & don'ts. Tuxes are not needed, but "reasonable" dress is.

Edited by keithm
additions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 10:37 AM, jasmine196 said:

I had cruised carnival almost exclusively the last ten years, and then I tried Celebrity with my mom.  Booked the next cruise with my husband and we agreed we would never go back to carnival.  Not that carnival is bad, its just not our cup of tea any longer.  Maybe its because we've gotten older, or maybe because we like cursing with a crowd that is older.  We are in are early 40's and most times we've cruised we've been on the younger side.  I love celebrities shows, food and cabins, but I do miss my cove cabins on carnival.  The only downside to celebrity is that a lot of ports that I want to go are on longer cruises and my hubby doesn't want to do longer than 9 days.  But I'm working on that.

I only like "cursing" with an older crowd, because they know better words LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to go against the grain here and say that not all Carnival cruisers will love Celebrity. We cruised a few years back with a friend and her husband who were loyal Carnival patrons. We talked them into a Celebrity cruise because we thought they'd love it as much as we did. Big mistake. They spent much of the week comparing everything unfavorably to the Carnival experience. So, to the OP, think long and hard about what you want in a vacation. I think this thread has given you a good idea of why to expect on Celebrity. But if you really do enjoy the livelier atmosphere, the wild pool games, comedy club, the casual dress code, you may want to stay with Carnival. Celebrity is more sedate and quieter, with an overall older crowd. I don't think the entertainment is as good, or as varied, as some other lines. Only you can evaluate what will work for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the info. I am 65 so I am not the party all night type. But I am also addicted to Warm melting Cake. Looking forward to cruise. Have booked Carnival for Med cruise Sept 2020

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 6:10 PM, Lady Arwen said:

Sorry, but there are no longer table cloths in the MDR except for one (formal?) night.  Jugs of water are placed on the bare table to help yourself.  The food in the MDR on Carnival cannot compare to Celebrity.

I like those “jugs” of water on the table, I would call them decanters.  I thought it was a nice touch and they are visually appealing, to each his own.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/28/2019 at 7:50 AM, citronella said:

 

“A picture is worth a thousand words.”

 

I said the dress of the passengers on both Celebrity and Carnival was interchangeable - both sets of passengers wearing shorts, Tees, sneakers, capris and tank tops.

 

“Affluent or not, many from Carnival, NCL and some from Royal are not into looking chic!” to quote you from a different thread. Very disparaging, to say the least. 

Just my opinion..

No " wife beater " tees seen yet on X

 

The first night dress thread has a recent post from someone who favors cargo shorts and tees and wears them furst and last night on X and claims  nightly on Royal.. even for the Dress up night.

 

Everyone has their own take on style and cruisewear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other thing to consider, if you have a high cruise status, are a high roller or are extremely attractive you can probably get away with wearing nearly anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mgmigs said:

I like those “jugs” of water on the table, I would call them decanters.  I thought it was a nice touch and they are visually appealing, to each his own.  

 

My morning coffee just spewed on my computer screen LOL!  Thanks for the chuckle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hcat said:

No " wife beater " tees seen yet on X

 

Beats a polo shirt in my book lol

7C291F4D-7552-4BB1-9DA8-5E34D1F78475.thumb.jpeg.c74df8c2aae34ae669b9e93323d6c953.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This thread reminds me of our recent (2-3 weeks ago) experience on Chic night aboard the still elegant Constellation.    DH and and I, and the majority of other passengers, were all dressed up in the theater waiting for the show to start.  Two rows ahead is a family of 4-5.  They had arrived earlier and had taken front rail seats in the balcony.  They were engaged in a game of dice of some sort.  Beer bottles and glasses were placed on the railing.  The dice was handed back and forth, and the cocktail tables or bench seats were used as a rolling table.  All were dressed casually in shorts and tops.  But the most offensive was a young adult male dressed in basketball shorts and tank (wife beater).  So DH and I being dressed up on Chic night had the privileged of looking into the hairy armpits of the young man seating below.  

 

Fast forward a few nights later (it may have been the 2nd Chic night, though I cannot recall) when after a comedian had begun his show, this same family walks in... late.  The young male adult had on the same basketball outfit! The comedian looks up, see's the family and makes a comment about their late arrival.  Then the comedian made a timely comment about the young man's lack of appropriate dress.  Everyone in the theater clapped in agreement!   It was great, and I think I clapped the loudest. 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, citronella said:

 

Beats a polo shirt in my book lol

7C291F4D-7552-4BB1-9DA8-5E34D1F78475.thumb.jpeg.c74df8c2aae34ae669b9e93323d6c953.jpeg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Nevertheless, Channing Tatum was asked to change before entering the Celebrity dining room for dinner. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Celebrity caters to an older and quieter crowd.  . 

 

You will be fine with polo and jeans on formal nights on Celebrity.  Buttoned shirts and khakis work too.  

 

Haven't been on Carnival for years and can't compare.  But shows are better than on HAL, not as good as on newer Royal ships.  Met someone on HAL who thinks Celebrity has poorer service than NCL, which I don't agree but it goes to show how opinions differ wildly.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

This thread reminds me of our recent (2-3 weeks ago) experience on Chic night aboard the still elegant Constellation.    DH and and I, and the majority of other passengers, were all dressed up in the theater waiting for the show to start.  Two rows ahead is a family of 4-5.  They had arrived earlier and had taken front rail seats in the balcony.  They were engaged in a game of dice of some sort.  Beer bottles and glasses were placed on the railing.  The dice was handed back and forth, and the cocktail tables or bench seats were used as a rolling table.  All were dressed casually in shorts and tops.  But the most offensive was a young adult male dressed in basketball shorts and tank (wife beater).  So DH and I being dressed up on Chic night had the privileged of looking into the hairy armpits of the young man seating below.  

 

Fast forward a few nights later (it may have been the 2nd Chic night, though I cannot recall) when after a comedian had begun his show, this same family walks in... late.  The young male adult had on the same basketball outfit! The comedian looks up, see's the family and makes a comment about their late arrival.  Then the comedian made a timely comment about the young man's lack of appropriate dress.  Everyone in the theater clapped in agreement!   It was great, and I think I clapped the loudest. 👍

you're being facetious, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

This thread reminds me of our recent (2-3 weeks ago) experience on Chic night aboard the still elegant Constellation.    DH and and I, and the majority of other passengers, were all dressed up in the theater waiting for the show to start.  Two rows ahead is a family of 4-5.  They had arrived earlier and had taken front rail seats in the balcony.  They were engaged in a game of dice of some sort.  Beer bottles and glasses were placed on the railing.  The dice was handed back and forth, and the cocktail tables or bench seats were used as a rolling table.  All were dressed casually in shorts and tops.  But the most offensive was a young adult male dressed in basketball shorts and tank (wife beater).  So DH and I being dressed up on Chic night had the privileged of looking into the hairy armpits of the young man seating below.  

 

Fast forward a few nights later (it may have been the 2nd Chic night, though I cannot recall) when after a comedian had begun his show, this same family walks in... late.  The young male adult had on the same basketball outfit! The comedian looks up, see's the family and makes a comment about their late arrival.  Then the comedian made a timely comment about the young man's lack of appropriate dress.  Everyone in the theater clapped in agreement!   It was great, and I think I clapped the loudest. 👍

 

Wow!  That's a new one!  Really trashy.   Good for the comedian and the auduence!  

 

Dinner without a table cloth...might as well go to a diner!

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...