Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Chuck

ZUIDERDAM on SEPT. 15th to CANADA???

Is anyone doing the Zuiderdam on Sept. 15th to Canada???   It leaves Quebec City and then returns to New York City on Sept. 27th.  It has many really nice stops.  If anyone is going on this we are a couple in the mid 60's and would love to hear from you.   Also if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom we would love to hear from you.  I know its going to be chilly up there so we plan on bringing good quality hoodies and caps, etc etc.  

Here is the link to the roll call for your cruise:  

This is where you will find others sailing on your cruise.

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Is anyone doing the Zuiderdam on Sept. 15th to Canada???   It leaves Quebec City and then returns to New York City on Sept. 27th.  It has many really nice stops.  If anyone is going on this we are a couple in the mid 60's and would love to hear from you.   Also if anyone has any advice or words of wisdom we would love to hear from you.  I know its going to be chilly up there so we plan on bringing good quality hoodies and caps, etc etc.  

We will be on the cruise immediately before this one (Boston to Quebec City, Sept 3-15). It's a similar itinerary to yours (in reverse), but also includes a stop at Saint Pierre and Michelon, a port that HAL visits very infrequently, and is French. We chose this trip because of this port.

On 5/27/2019 at 12:17 AM, kwb101 said:

We will be on the cruise immediately before this one (Boston to Quebec City, Sept 3-15). It's a similar itinerary to yours (in reverse), but also includes a stop at Saint Pierre and Michelon, a port that HAL visits very infrequently, and is French. We chose this trip because of this port.

We visited this French port on a cruise in 2015. While somewhat interesting, you may want to keep your expectations on the low side. It is a rocky island with very little vegetation. Buildings are mostly wooden and look like shacks. Reminds one of a remote Alaskan village. Yes, there are some small restaurants to get croissants and other French pastry and a small museum building. We were told that the island is such an undesirable place to live that the French government pays citizens to live there in order to maintain this sole French presence in North America. 

19 hours ago, edgee said:

We visited this French port on a cruise in 2015. While somewhat interesting, you may want to keep your expectations on the low side. It is a rocky island with very little vegetation. Buildings are mostly wooden and look like shacks. Reminds one of a remote Alaskan village. Yes, there are some small restaurants to get croissants and other French pastry and a small museum building. We were told that the island is such an undesirable place to live that the French government pays citizens to live there in order to maintain this sole French presence in North America. 

Thanks for the info. We were surprised at the paucity of show excursions (only four) and the high price ($125 for a75-minute trip). We are going in with no expectations :(

6 hours ago, kwb101 said:

Thanks for the info. We were surprised at the paucity of show excursions (only four) and the high price ($125 for a75-minute trip). We are going in with no expectations 😞

I felt a little guilty...did not mean to rain on your parade. So now to be more positive, we are on Zuiderdam now in Europe and I can not say enough positive things about the wonderful crew and service. We sometimes cruise more luxury cruise lines like Crystal and Oceania and have to say that the Zuiderdam crew is every bit as courteous and service oriented as those on the more "upscale" ships.

My wife and I  (we are mid-60's) did this cruise last year. we really enjoyed it. I would highly recommend it .

5 hours ago, edgee said:

I felt a little guilty...did not mean to rain on your parade. So now to be more positive, we are on Zuiderdam now in Europe and I can not say enough positive things about the wonderful crew and service. We sometimes cruise more luxury cruise lines like Crystal and Oceania and have to say that the Zuiderdam crew is every bit as courteous and service oriented as those on the more "upscale" ships.

Thanks!  We were on Zuiderdam last September on the 20-day Viking Passage trip,  and were very happy with the crew and service, despite weather and other problems beyond the control of the captain and HAL. We're looking forward to another good time this September.

On 5/28/2019 at 2:57 AM, edgee said:

We were told that the island is such an undesirable place to live that the French government pays citizens to live there in order to maintain this sole French presence in North America. 

Saint Pierre and Miquelon isn't the sole French presence in North America. Others include:

Guadeloupe, Martinique: 

French overseas regions. They hold the same status as regions in mainland France but are located outside Europe.

Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon:

French overseas collectivities. Like the French regions, are first-order administrative divisions of France, but have a semi-autonomous status.

Clipperton Island:

An overseas minor territory of France, under direct authority of the Minister of Overseas France.

6 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Saint Pierre and Miquelon isn't the sole French presence in North America. Others include:

Guadeloupe, Martinique: 

French overseas regions. They hold the same status as regions in mainland France but are located outside Europe.

Saint Barthélemy, Saint Martin, Saint Pierre and Miquelon:

French overseas collectivities. Like the French regions, are first-order administrative divisions of France, but have a semi-autonomous status.

Clipperton Island:

An overseas minor territory of France, under direct authority of the Minister of Overseas France.

You are technically correct. Depends if you are going to get picky and  count the Caribbean as part of the N.

American continent. I thought about your point after I posted. All the result of the British victory on the Plains of Abraham in mid 18th century.

27 minutes ago, edgee said:

You are technically correct. Depends if you are going to get picky and  count the Caribbean as part of the N.

American continent. I thought about your point after I posted. All the result of the British victory on the Plains of Abraham in mid 18th century.

LOL. I'm not sure that the residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands would consider it to be a "picky" point. I'd think that they, as well as most other Caribbean residents, learn as children that their islands are part of North America, just as American and Canadian children learn that their countries are.  

9 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Guadeloupe, Martinique: 

If you want to see a fair amount of Guadeloupe, check out "Death in Paradise" on Netflix. 

16 minutes ago, kwb101 said:

If you want to see a fair amount of Guadeloupe, check out "Death in Paradise" on Netflix. 

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this is one of the programs that for some reason isn't available on Canadian Netflix. :classic_sad:

31 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, this is one of the programs that for some reason isn't available on Canadian Netflix. :classic_sad:

:(  Perhaps some day...