Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
BeachyBoo

Ocean Blue Upcharges

Recommended Posts

On 5/26/2019 at 3:55 PM, All-ready2cruise said:

Thanks for the great info.  I was aware of the $12 upcharge but happy to read about the other charges.  I do plan to dine at Ocean Blue while cruising on my BA BD cruise June 30th. 

 

Cheers

We'll be on this one too!   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 2:49 PM, BeachyBoo said:

I’m not sure if this is new, but I don’t remember hearing about it. Just off the Breakaway today and there were a couple of other items on the menu with upcharges for the dining plan, in addition to the shrimp. 

 

The Surf and Turf (petite filet mignon and lobster tail) had a $10.99 upcharge and the steamed or grilled lobster was also a $10.99 upcharge.

 

With that said, the food was really good. My husband and myself had the dining package so we were paying for the meals for my 13 year old son and my 18 year old daughter. Before getting our food, the water glass broke in my sons mouth while he took a drink...luckily he didn’t get cut and was totally fine. We only wanted to let them know so we could get a new glass and drink, as it really wasn’t anyone’s fault.  Very surprisingly, when we received our bill, it was all comped. Including the $12 charge per person. We did not expect them to do this at all, but was very much appreciated!

 

i just wanted to give one of the positives as well since we did have a great cruise overall. 

Thanks for a positive report and most of all, thank God he wasn't hurt. As for the up charge I will gladly pay an additional price for Lobster cooked anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 6:29 PM, C cruise said:

wow - thats crazy.. I won't book dinner there.

not on everything. I have no problem with the up charge. I have a slight problem with the shrimp cocktail and will not choose it, but for Lobster, knowing how much Lobster costs at a land restaurant and knowing we have the UDP I am happy withe the plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Son of a son of a ... said:

Upcharge?  No worries ... need to spend some OBC.  

that is a great idea. I hadn't even thought about that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Thanks for a positive report and most of all, thank God he wasn't hurt. As for the up charge I will gladly pay an additional price for Lobster cooked anyway. 

It's a good thing you are willing to pay for lobster cooked "anyway," because the lobster cooked in Ocean Blue isn't cooked very well and is a major disappointment.  Not surprising, as it is previously frozen and not freshly killed.  A good number of alternative entrees that are much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

It's a good thing you are willing to pay for lobster cooked "anyway," because the lobster cooked in Ocean Blue isn't cooked very well and is a major disappointment.  Not surprising, as it is previously frozen and not freshly killed.  A good number of alternative entrees that are much better. 

thanks for the advise I am sure it isn't like what we can get along the coast, but when you live right in the middle of the country and have no access to fresh fish of any kind except Cat Fish almost any Lobster tastes good. We have had Lobster on many ships, both extra charge and in the days when it was available in the MDRs. Yes, it is frozen unless they are catching them off the back of the ship. Now will I be willing to pay the extra? I don't know, but I will be glad to have the option. Our daughter who lives in Florida will be with us. Will she opt for Lobster? Probably not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

It's a good thing you are willing to pay for lobster cooked "anyway," because the lobster cooked in Ocean Blue isn't cooked very well and is a major disappointment.  Not surprising, as it is previously frozen and not freshly killed.  A good number of alternative entrees that are much better. 

I didn't have lobster, but my husband had the surf and turf which included a filet and a lobster tail -- and also had the upcharge.  He wasn't very impressed with that.  It was quite small, and he said it was a little rubbery.  There were a couple of ladies by us eating whole lobsters and they seemed to be enjoying them, but there was a language barrier so we didn't ask them how they liked them.

Nita -- if you're going to pay the upcharge make sure you get the whole lobster and not just the tail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ute_fan said:

I didn't have lobster, but my husband had the surf and turf which included a filet and a lobster tail -- and also had the upcharge.  He wasn't very impressed with that.  It was quite small, and he said it was a little rubbery.  There were a couple of ladies by us eating whole lobsters and they seemed to be enjoying them, but there was a language barrier so we didn't ask them how they liked them.

Nita -- if you're going to pay the upcharge make sure you get the whole lobster and not just the tail.

I don’t see surf and turf on the menu posted...am I missing that or is that a special?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Greenpea2 said:

I don’t see surf and turf on the menu posted...am I missing that or is that a special?

We were on the Joy last week (sailed 6/15), and it was on their regular menu.  A filet and lobster tail, with the $10.99 upgrade charge.  

I didn't get pictures of any of the menus this time.  I wonder if there are small differences between the various ships?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ute_fan said:

I didn't have lobster, but my husband had the surf and turf which included a filet and a lobster tail -- and also had the upcharge.  He wasn't very impressed with that.  It was quite small, and he said it was a little rubbery.  There were a couple of ladies by us eating whole lobsters and they seemed to be enjoying them, but there was a language barrier so we didn't ask them how they liked them.

Nita -- if you're going to pay the upcharge make sure you get the whole lobster and not just the tail.

Thanks for the advise. I will keep this in mind. I think I would prefer the whole Lobster.There are other restaurants where I can get my steak fill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

Thanks for the advise. I will keep this in mind. I think I would prefer the whole Lobster.There are other restaurants where I can get my steak fill. 

On the Escape in January, the waiter warned me that the lobster tail (which is large) had more meat than the whole lobster (which is small).  He was right.  My table mate ordered the whole steamed lobster, which wasn't very good.  I had the lobster tail, which was quite large and was OK, other than that it was drenched in a soy or olive oil based sauce, to the extent that it interfered with the lobster flavor.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FLAHAM said:

On the Escape in January, the waiter warned me that the lobster tail (which is large) had more meat than the whole lobster (which is small).  He was right.  My table mate ordered the whole steamed lobster, which wasn't very good.  I had the lobster tail, which was quite large and was OK, other than that it was drenched in a soy or olive oil based sauce, to the extent that it interfered with the lobster flavor.   

I wonder if that oil is used to mask the texture of the frozen lobster and shrimp?  The herbed oil absolutely ruined the shrimp cocktail on the Getaway. I won't make the mistake of paying the upcharge again for an inferior product. So disappointing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 11:02 AM, Greenpea2 said:

I don’t see surf and turf on the menu posted...am I missing that or is that a special?

 

Post #3

From the Land

"Surf and Turf"

😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty Dining Packages are honored in the following specialty restaurants: American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Margaritaville at Sea, Moderno Churrascaria, Ocean Blue and Bayamo by Ocean Blue, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Guests may also choose to dine in other select restaurants, with the following per person upcharges when using their SDP meal:

  • Cirque Dreams (Epic, Getaway) $10 USD
  • Supper Club Cabaret (Escape) - $18 USD
  • Velvet (Breakaway) - $10 USD

Does this mean Ocean Blue is no longer an upcharge, or is this a mistake? Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, valleyvillage said:

IN WHICH VENUES WILL MY SPECIALTY DINING PACKAGE BE HONORED?

Specialty Dining Packages are honored in the following specialty restaurants: American Diner, Cagney’s Steakhouse, Food Republic, Italian, Le Bistro, Los Lobos, Margaritaville at Sea, Moderno Churrascaria, Ocean Blue and Bayamo by Ocean Blue, Pincho Tapas Bar, Q Texas Smokehouse, Raw Bar, Sushi and Teppanyaki.

Guests may also choose to dine in other select restaurants, with the following per person upcharges when using their SDP meal:

  • Cirque Dreams (Epic, Getaway) $10 USD
  • Supper Club Cabaret (Escape) - $18 USD
  • Velvet (Breakaway) - $10 USD

Does this mean Ocean Blue is no longer an upcharge, or is this a mistake? Thanks!

No longer an upcharge. The menu items have increased in price instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/25/2019 at 2:02 PM, Greenpea2 said:

I don’t see surf and turf on the menu posted...am I missing that or is that a special?

I agree.  On the Bliss this past April, there was no lobster on the menu.  The fish I ordered had no taste and my boyfriend's salad had a bug it.  It was a very bad experience.  They did remove the up charge, but it was still a waste of one of our dining choices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, DeanDeeDee said:

I agree.  On the Bliss this past April, there was no lobster on the menu.  The fish I ordered had no taste and my boyfriend's salad had a bug it.  It was a very bad experience.  They did remove the up charge, but it was still a waste of one of our dining choices.

 

Not surprising, you're on NCL...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...