Is a corkage fee charged for wine consumed in cabin?

Podie

I'm sorry to post this question as I'm sure it's covered many times, but I can't get the search function to work. Is it true that a corkage fee will be charged for each bottle of wine brought on board even if you plan to consume it in your cabin? I've been on 5 other cruiselines and there is no corkage fee on them, but it seems the NCL site says it WILL be charged regardless of where you drink it? Is this correct?

A large part of their revenue is alcoholic drinks. I dont have a problem with corkage fees. I may be in the minority’s but it has never bothered me. At least we have to option to bring wine on board and if it was important to me I’d go on a line that doesn’t charge it. All part of things people need to weigh when choosing a cruise. 

• Like 2

You will need to double check with these other cruise lines again.   They are all moving to this same policy.   Cruise lines do market analysis and compare practices across the industry.    

18 minutes ago, Vyhanek said:

You will need to double check with these other cruise lines again.   They are all moving to this same policy.   Cruise lines do market analysis and compare practices across the industry.    

Most lines allow at least one or two bottles to be brought on for free then corkage on the rest. It's rare that they follow NCL's policy of corkage on everything.

1 hour ago, Podie said:

I'm sorry to post this question as I'm sure it's covered many times, but I can't get the search function to work. Is it true that a corkage fee will be charged for each bottle of wine brought on board even if you plan to consume it in your cabin? I've been on 5 other cruiselines and there is no corkage fee on them, but it seems the NCL site says it WILL be charged regardless of where you drink it? Is this correct?

Which 5 lines charge no corkage?

Edited by Cruise Junky

4 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

This is NCL,  auto gratuities are called Daily Service Charges

Hmmmm,,, major cruise lines that charge Daily Service Charge (Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, Cunard, Disney, Holland, MSC, NCL, Oceania, Princess, RCCL, Viking, Windstar). Those that include the daily service charge in in-separable fares (Crystal, Regent Seabourn)

We never pay our NCL daily service charges in advance.  

17 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Hmmmm,,, major cruise lines that charge Daily Service Charge (Carnival, Celebrity, Costa, Cunard, Disney, Holland, MSC, NCL, Oceania, Princess, RCCL, Viking, Windstar). Those that include the daily service charge in in-separable fares (Crystal, Regent Seabourn)

We never pay our NCL daily service charges in advance.  

Hmmmm, Hmmmm, I guess you didn't get the joke.😢

21 hours ago, Podie said:

Thanks for all the info. Not sure NCL is for me then.

NCL charges $15 for as many bottles as you want to bring onboard, most lines let you bring 2 per cabin for free, but no more. I prefer NCL’s policy, but if you are going to let $30 get to you if you only want to bring on 2 bottles, find another line.

• Like 1

On our last cruise, we chose the 3/4 sail free perk vs. UBP (we had our DD8 with us). We brought 8 bottles of wine and paid $15 for each bottle, but we were able to bring one to dinner every night, or Headliners, etc. O'Sheehan's ended up having a deal on 60oz pitchers of various draft beers for $13, so we had our share of drinks for the week.  The cost difference between upgrading to an Oceanview or Balcony and then including the UBP 18% versus an inside with 3/4 sail free was HUGE! 

Edited by ilovetotravel1977
  • Like 1

Being new to NCL and not understanding or seeing the information about our ship that alcohol was free, we paid corkage for two bottles of wine. We happily drank our wine and never knew until nearly the end of the cruise that we could have drank all sorts of wine without being charged! Every time we ordered a drink, we offered our cards, staff would look at it and nod. LOL, I guess we'll have to pay closer attention to the details next time.

On 5/27/2019 at 10:39 AM, Podie said:

The corkage fee is charged when you board the ship. It doesn't matter where you drink the wine.

Just got back from a trip to Napa so we have a few nice wines we were considering bringing - we have no problem with the $15 corkage fee.  Just wondering how many bottles we can bring on per cabin.  I can't seem to find that anywhere.  Just hoping to bring a bottle or 2 for each of the specialty dining reservations we've made.

23 minutes ago, katmatdru said:

Just got back from a trip to Napa so we have a few nice wines we were considering bringing - we have no problem with the $15 corkage fee.  Just wondering how many bottles we can bring on per cabin.  I can't seem to find that anywhere.  Just hoping to bring a bottle or 2 for each of the specialty dining reservations we've made.

You can bring as many bottles as you want! Just carry them on to the ship, and you'll be directed to pay the corkage right after security -- at least that's how it works in Miami. Maybe different in different ports. They'll charge the corkage fee directly to your room.

27 minutes ago, katmatdru said:

I don't think there is a limit to how many as long as you're willing to pay the fee.